Closing threads with link to closed thread?

There is a topic from yesterday, with the discussion about Xojo really beeing native or not.

The thread was closed, cause “This has been discussed already on this topic .”

This leads me to some questions:

• Since when is it usual to close a discussion about a serious topic, just because there was this discussion already in the past? How often do we speak about the-ever-same-topic?
  • I mean, it could be a good way to focus feedback and opinions about one topic in one place. But the linked thread is also closed.
  • Is it really in the interest of this community or in the interest of the community managers to block discussions, even if they’re a bit unpleasant for Xojo?

I feel like, every day, I strive further from this Forum, its managers and the Company behind it.

#Feedback

6 Likes

To further clarify, that particular topic was closed only because the exact comment and screenshots were already posted and discussed in the original topic. No additional information, comments or feedback was offered in the post, so it was closed as a duplicate.

2 Likes

And, straight from the Forum Guidelines:

Keep It Tidy

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.

Hmm, in this forum there are always the same questions about various topics that are not closed.

1 Like

Okay, thank you Dana,
I understand, but the former thread wasn’t closed, because the discussion was really over, but you meant that some posts were violating the forum rules.

So I felt like, that the newer posting were totally legit since the poster obviously has something more to discuss (what he wasn’t able to, since the original post was closed).

Really? Is this particular case meant with that? When some want to talk about a topic he wasn’t able due to closing the original thread?

2 Likes

I think in this case it might have been a better decision on the part of the OP to provide some sort of new information or spark discussion about something new rather than reposting the exact same thing for effect.

I never close or moderate a discussion in any way based on whether it will make Xojo uncomfortable, that’s not what I’m here for. They’ve charged me with upholding the guidelines, and that’s what I try to do. Whether that happens on a thread praising Xojo, or critical of Xojo. It just only seems to happen one way. The same goes for actions against users.

3 Likes

If you are ever concerned that an error was made, want to request a thread to be re-opened or have a question, comment, etc. please PM a moderator. That’s why we are here and we want the forum to be the best possible experience for everyone. But that is a balancing act. We have rules and we try to follow them as best we can, which helps us keep things organized so people can find answers. That doesn’t mean that the topic is off limits or anything like that.

1 Like

I totally understand that it is a balancing act. Thats why I wanted to provide feedback. And not only with facts, but also how it feels sometimes here. Thank you for the answers.

How about also stating out, that the mods and Xojo Inc. also make “mistakes”. I really rarely see something like that here. Could help to calm some people down from time to time. I assume that some discussions hasn’t to be held if this happened a bit more often.

However, thanks for the answers.

We all make mistakes - no one is perfect and we do not claim to be. We are always open to feedback and many decisions that are made are a direct result of that feedback. One example would be the auto-closing of topics, we hoped this would improve the community but it didn’t so it was disabled.

5 Likes

Mistakes are easy, and always pointed out with vigor. People don’t draw attention to when we get it right. It’s a thankless task that we do our best at.

3 Likes

Everyone knows it’s about Xojo banning Norm.

1 Like

I personally don’t care about Norm, I care about the release of an unmature Web 2.0 and the hard end of Web 1.0 in the same second, I care about the communication and marketing promises here and here which aren’t held (with the linker only in the first place).

I also care about the Xojo veterans which are leaving Xojo (like you @Hal_Gumbert), not because of the Language, the tool or whatever, but because of the communication of the Inc. with its customers.

And I think it is a pity, because from my perspective I think that so many issues between the userbase and the Inc. could have been solved or even avoided just by a better communication.

@Anthony_G_Cyphers I know that everyone makes mistakes. That absolutely no problem. But instead of saying “There’s a point, we could have act different, we did not because…” your first response was “the OP could have made something different.” Both positions are valid, but the first one would be more open and doesn’t cause the feel that you miss the point and that you don’t understand what I/we were stating.

2 Likes

It can always be said that communication can be better, regardless of venue or issue. We should, I suppose, all strive to be better communicators.

2 Likes

Just say you deleted because there was a banned link to a banned forum from a banned person. Just tell the truth.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re referencing, but whatever it is has nothing to do with what’s being discussed here.

2 Likes

Generally spoken, it has.

However. As you say everything can always be improved. But that is no excuse if something went wrong nor it is a reason why we should stop complaining about what feels wrong currently.

That is all from my side.

1 Like

I, and the other moderators, are happy to hear anyone out any time when they think there’s a problem. I get DMs and emails from users fairly frequently, and I’ve never dismissed a single one. I may not agree, but I’ll certainly hear them out. Feel free to reach out to me if you feel the need.

4 Likes

That’s exactly why we are discussing against automatic-closing threads, by the way.

We can post links to other forums here, correct?

1 Like