Xojo 2020R1 : a plea for a quick R1.1 release

I can second this. One business case in Europe for Android Tablets: kindergarten and home of retirement. Basically wherever a device can easily break. Those customers have a need for tablets but will never go for expensive iThings, mainly as they are already often missing the funds to buy those devices initially, but as well as they are aware that the likelihood those gadgets will break is very high.

1 Like

That’s everywhere. You won’t see iPads taking orders at a McDonald’s too unless the owner is some sort of crazy AppleManiac.

2 Likes

It’s not about being ‘pretentious’. If you wish to develop for Android tablets I wish you well but you are in for a sea of pain.

True :slight_smile: - that why my Android customers are getting a web app and(!) I’m waiting for some miracle form Xojo … in 2025 or later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed. Even though CEOs tempt to get an iOS version :wink: - that’s back to your valid argument, while you often need both solutions.

I could tell you things about how great it can be, not in some “crazy sea of pain”, but probably I needed to talk about developing using other tools, so I’ll refrain about that part. I can tell you that it was a walk in the park comparing to Xcode in the past, and more, Android business specialized devices, easy to program and maintain, without Google’s permission, exists; iPadOS business specialized devices, easy to program and maintain, without Apple’s permission, don’t.

This may be locale specific (ie/ North America/Europe uses iPads - others use Android tablets)

I think thats all Rick is trying o bring attention to

2 Likes

CEOs want to pay less and get more. They are the first to say “Do we have something good, cheap and strong?” They don’t want THAT software, they want another one, just to see summaries.

Yes, but one detail, “Europe” also is Android driven. Just a small part, like UK, is Apple oriented.

That blue / grey picture says all. There are 2 worlds.

1 Like

Yes - I’d like to 2nd that statement. @Greg_O_Lone and his team have done a phenomenal job under the circumstances. We all clamor for rapid releases and then rant about all of the things we’re missing, the bugs, and whatnot. I think we need to consider the size of their dev team - it’s small, and yet look what they have come out with. We should all thank Greg and others for the countless hours they have put into this project and know they’ll continue to refine Web 2.0 for years to come.

5 Likes

I will always regret binary thinking.

This thing about Android tablets being inadequate reminds me of the worse platform wars which happened in the history of this forum.

For years, I read stupid statements from people knowing only Mac, looking down on Windows. Hey, people, we are using a cross platform IDE !

Because you never touched any high end Android tablet does not mean they don’t exist. Sure, one can evolve only in Apple systems. And as a result believe that there is no other way. This touches on platform bigotry and ignorance.

As a matter of fact, most often, Samsung and other Android makers lead the way with features that will take years for Apple to catch up with. What about foldable screens, which allow a simple phone to unfold as a full featured tablet ?

About tablets, I don’t understand how Xojo could issue an Android development environment that supports only phones. They would not only be late to the party (VERY late), but also completely inadequate.

My latest app in the Play Store supports of course phones and tablets, phablets, and any kind of resolution (there are many).

I am not saying a developer got to love Android, or even renounce Apple. Just that as someone who produces apps, we should be pretty platform agnostic.

I may use an iPhone for myself, I would be stupid to pass Android business…

6 Likes

What is true is that the dev team does a very good job with the resources they have…

But when evaluating the product, not really IMO. This is not free software!

What we have to consider is if there is enough value for the price paid and if we would be better off or not with a different tool.

-Karen

I’ll just leave these here for your perusal.

Mark, again, we agreed that your platform of choice is a bit better for the average user. It’s not for business, it’s too closed, we can’t act and solve things in 5 minutes as we do in Android, and we must submit things to the gods of Apple THAT can even DENY a new feature or a FIX! I doubt someone will write great games in Xojo for App Store or Play Store, but most of us write business apps. Saying that other is weaker loudly does not make one stronger. If I wished, I could do the same as you and come up with articles saying “10 things Android does better then iOS” or whatever. I don’t know what is your point, and what you want.

Okay folks, let’s drop the platform debate now please, or the thread will have to be locked before war breaks out.

1 Like

No war should start between gentlemen. Too soon to start saying “let’s lock the thread”.

2 Likes

OT

You won’t see iPads taking orders at a McDonald’s too unless the owner is some sort of crazy AppleManiac.

here we have extra terminals with touch screens somehow a 28" screen in portrait.
easy to use and user-friendly software. but i not know what os is behind.

28"? Can be anything but iPadOS. Usually it’s Android, Linux or Windows. Depends on a bit of factors. But interestingly I saw some Samsungs (like 10") in a McDonald’s in UK.

Here, I found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VF_t1BSKK8

Well they do have a Community Edition that is free :slight_smile: But yeah, of course Xojo is a paid product and should be. I guess we all have to make that evaluation. It’s probably best not to pin all of our hopes and dreams on one development platform anyway and we should diversify our skillsets, which most people in these forums seem to be doing.

All I’m trying to do is recognize what they are producing with such a small team - I think it’s quite remarkable. And the last thing I’m trying to do is back away from a constructive, critical discourse on the forums. There are a number of features we’re all seeking and pesky bugs need to be squashed. The thing is, we want 10,000 different things and someone is always going to be disappointed. Now we’re getting impatient about Android support, among other things. How can we reasonably expect this small team to get all of this ■■■■ done in a timely fashion?? Honestly I wish they’s just focus on Web, Desktop, and iOS. Period. How can they not be spread thin supporting 5 different platforms?

2 Likes

Indeed, we have all our own opinions. My list would be Desktop, Console and Android (Web too), but not necessarily iOS as you must pass Apple’s tests to make the apps available.

1 Like