Xojo 2020R1 : a plea for a quick R1.1 release

OK but Xojo is for hobbyists, education, and citizen devs also, not just corporate types. It makes no sense to target Pi (which was a great move) and not Android tablet.

It would make Sense if all of them would allow Java so Xojo xouls bring up a Java Layer and let’s go. But this is a dream nobody will get ready with. Surely there is a market for Android Apps for Tablets und bigger Smartphones but if they decide not to target them, there is no real chance.

Java - write once, debug everywhere.
That is the kind of reason why there is no Android tablet in the works yet IMHO. However if Android phone works out OK it’s the next logical target.

Not in those darker places where Android rules:

1 Like

The Point is that in Europe many users have Android Devices(much more Android Tabs than IPADS). This makes it a bit more interesting to have thge ability to develop for both. Also customers want to get developed App for Android and IOS, Tablet and Phone. In nearly all contracts here in Europe you can find exactly this. Makes it a bit complex to write an app for a customer and say: yea, I can not programm the App for Android Tablets, sorry. Something the customers are deciding. Lets wait how Xojo will decide. We will see. If there is no Tablet, we have further to build the apps with B4A and B4I, if, we will see if we can develop with xojo.

1 Like

That’s true, people want x-platform apps now.

1 Like

In my opinion, Web 2.0 is a huge leap, we wanted to be more competitive we could be with the new ingredients that we have in the 2020r1 version, in my opinion the XOJO team is giving us a solid base to develop now! It is true that it lacks purification and improvement, it is certain aspects, it is also true that the current development market has many demands, it is time to grow both the company and us, it is a new vision, there are new challenges

2 Likes

you made my day! :slight_smile:

Your Day maybe but my day became dark cause of this trues…:slight_smile: As a Java Developer I can tell you about debugging Stuffs.

1 Like

and Web 2.0 can certainly help here as well. Of course it will not cover all purposes, but for my main needs: reading stuff from different REST-Apis and building something new (aka mainly list boxes) out of it, Web 2.0 can replace native iThing apps for me. But I need to wait for the next release, to get the size of the screen … :wink:

What’s the source?
The map seems to depict the dominant OS system (tablet+phone) per country.

If you only look at tablet OS, the map is very different.
Source: https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/tablet/worldwide

I too would like Xojo to support Android tablets (one day) but IMO the most important is iOS (phone + tablet) and Android (phone).

1 Like

https://deviceatlas.com/sites/deviceatlas.com/files/images/map-world-os-q1-2019-lrg.png

https://deviceatlas.com/blog/android-v-ios-market-share

It’s your personal desire because you live in a place where iOS makes difference. In the darker areas, where iOS/iPadOs is insignificant, people couldn’t care less. The Android Tablet market is GREAT FOR DEVs who creates enterprise solutions, not for the general public, because the Tablet market is just a niche between mobile and desktop (even in the Apple world). In Brazil, where I live, we have Android everywhere, even in non standard formats, like specialized POS devices. Apple will never reach this level of expansion.

Do they have that data broken out by OS version ?
That may be relevant since Xojo has said they are targeting specific versions of Android and that minimum level may have an influence on the stats that are relevant

3 Likes

I don’t know, but it is irrelevant to me.
Most of those companies ask $ for breaking into details.
For me, write anything Android 4.3+ and you cover 100% of the current market here. Most of current devices are 7.x+, new devices are 9.x+

Have you ever tried to develop for Android tablets - they are an absolute cluster****. Many Android tablets are not even on the level of computing capability of the original iPad in 2010 - good luck if you wish to develop for that market.

Yes but 80-90% of the Android tablet device base is comprised of very low spec eBay tablet specials - you cannot ignore this in your comparisons.

This simply isn’t true. Most businesses use iPads not crappy low end Android devices that saturate the low end of the market.

Mark, don’t be pretentious. :grin:

It’s not a question of what’s the best device. iPad wins. But iPads are “too much power, too much money” for : enter prices, do calcs, write data in a database, send data to a server, print a receipt in the integrated printer… Oh, iPads even don’t do this part, have custom business hardware integrated.