Xojo 2020R1 : a plea for a quick R1.1 release

The things promoted above it are quickies comparatively, maybe for next release. I would speculate Android might be next year therefore.

As for Android tablet, the user base is almost double iPad.

1 Like

Paul said in one of the XDC videos that there are no plans to offer Android projects for tablets at the moment. Since this is already possible in iOS projects, I hope that during active development you will decide to offer this in the first Android release.

I’m puzzled. It took me roughly 10 minutes to create an ubuntu server, update it to the latest and created and installing nginx and connect my domain to it and getting an LE certificate It took me another 5 minutes to create ssh access and a script after my linux build on macOS to rsync the build to my server. This script shuts down the app before the rsync and than restarts it. The app is “running” as service and will auto restart if it “hangs” or is killed for whatsoever reason.

Then I started developing. oAuth2 authentications reading stuff via JSON from other services, building lists, masks for editing, deleting, adding stuff. Everything works perfectly fine. I leave all the CSS fine-tuning, responsiveness etc. to a future release, first I want to have have a working app and I can tell my customer: it is working on Desktop and tablets. Mobile might become possible, but this will take some time. BTW it is even working on mobile, but it is ugly and not responsiveness. But if customer urges to have mobile access, well it is working. I adopted the login screen only to make it work in a way that it looks nice on every device.

Almost everyone here is a PRO user, so we will get the next “updates” as quick as possible. I personally believe that Web 2.0 is such a big thing, that ultimately it will never satisfy the desires of everyone but it is already good enough to start for many, many purposes.

Funny enough Xojo is getting more feedback here from testers than within the testing forum :-). So I think they made the right choice to bring the baby to birth and to get even more feedback. Even Xcode had many “unstable” releases, or missing functionality …

Am I perfectly fine? Oh no, me too I’m missing many things. But this is how it is, since the first day I’m using the product.

Of course everyone has a different business case. But at least for me I can say, that I am faster with Web 2.0 than with any other product or programming language I’m aware of. And with Web 2.0 I can create easily an App which look “modern” for the customers. With Web 1.0 all the apps I’m aware of looked quite outdated for the past 2-3 years or so.

7 Likes

Stockholm syndrome? :wink:

I’m all in for Xojo Web 2.0, and tons of kudos for the massive effort the team is doing.

It’s just how it has been released what is… confusing me. The problem is all this massive work done is being shadowed by our (legit IMHO) complains. Web 2.0, at the time of this release 2020r1, is just a downgrade, compared to Web 1.0.

On the other hand, what I don’t get is all the rants about migrating to 2.0 right now. If you have a Web 1.0 project, just wait :man_shrugging:, continue using 2019r3.2 in the meantime.

2 Likes

The feedback was given there, and through the Feedback app.

1 Like

Good one! :slight_smile: - Probably, but I have that syndrome with most software products and online services :-), Microsoft Graph is now way better for instance. They are promising a lot but delivery is subject to some obscure random algorithm :slight_smile:

Partially, but at least with less rants. I agree with you on the communication, on the other hand, when is a product really ready to be released. And usually you only hear back from disappointed customers not from the one working with it. That’s at least how it is with my customers … :wink: - but perhaps I’m just lucky because Web 2.0 works already for the kind of apps I’m developing on the web. I’m not dreaming that web x.y will anytime soon replace all the functionality a Desktop app is able to provide.

What is occurring is expected. The testers haven’t approved the current product for release, but Xojo needed to put it on the streets as is due to “other fixes” people are waiting for months. I’ve criticized this dependence of “we can’t do interstitial releases while we are developing something new”. We should had an R1 (first quarter) AND R1.1 (second quarter) by now, WITHOUT Web2. Web2 is not feature complete, it is in a public Alpha state. Xojo made a decision, they had to put a collection of fixes out and could not hold it more. They have some kind of very dependent pipeline.

1 Like

I agree but their product, their release strategy. We are either on the bus, or off the bus, but we can’t change their bus. Not saying that you and others shall stop complaining, but after almost 20 years with Xojo products and exerptise with many other tools, I gave up long time ago, that the manufacturer of a bus will change his roadmap to my individual wishes and expectations.

1 Like

I don’t recall just one time I have set any expectations towards my individual desires. All my “feedbacks” (not complains, not whinings) are always towards the common good, including Xojo’s. I also avoid the “Not ok? Give up the tool” discourse. Closer friends here know that I have access to a very diverse toolset, Xojo is my “Pet IDE” that I like and I always keep pushing them towards a better future. Just it.

1 Like

I disagree. :smiley: I noticed more than once that I changed parts of the bus, so did others. That’s the power of feedbacks.

1 Like

No it’s not - most of the Android tablet base is made up of very low end hardly functional devices that run old version of Android. Apple has the business tablet market sewn up - they are everywhere.

I make no assumptions about how quickly or slowly they can get those items done
Unexpected things can always arise and impact the schedule (positively or negatively)

I just mentioned there are 5 items ahead of Android on the list

Well if they adjusted the order, under the circumstances, I’m assuming it’s because they can get them done more easily.

It’s more about progress. Remember, just because Web took a long time does not mean that iOS and Android were stalled.

8 Likes

It also doesn’t mean there was progress … :roll_eyes:

Logic works both ways :wink:

I choose to be optimistic, but do whatever you want.

6 Likes

I choose to be amused when people post an argument that actually doesn’t prove anything and could just as well be used to claim the opposite - cracks me up every time :rofl: but then I’m known to have a special kind of humor :grin:

And no, not everyone “gets it”, but I’m ok with that … :smiling_imp:

IT Roadmaps are adjusted as things become clearer over time. In Xojo’s case, the better view is the things at the top are closer to release than the things at the bottom. There has been no Android beta release yet and it’s slipped down the list so I’m assuming next year for that.