Windows 11

If a TPM chip is required to run Window 11, it basically will disabled it to work on any Apple device (including M1). I don’t think it’s possible to bypass this with VM.

Parallels has a virtual driver: KB Parallels: Use virtual Trusted Platform Module (vTPM) in Parallels Desktop. Remains the question if this will be good enough for Windows11. But a lot of things are still unclear:

1 Like

Installing Windows 11 under Virtual Box on a PC right now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So far so good. Windows 11 installed quite fine in a Windows 7 VM.

I copied the installer for Check Writer III into it, and proceeded to install.

I don’t understand, that although my certificates are up to date, W11 pretends that the developer is unknown, and I get the infamous yellow window.

Apart from that, the app runs as expected.

Windows 11 has another issue…

They list minimum requirement as 64 bit CPU, that is not quite true. Since you need 8th Generation Intel chip or later.

I just had it reject 2 Xeon blade servers because of this.

It also rejects some Thread-ripper types.

And those are not TPM rejections but CPU rejections you get in your face when running the test tool.

1 Like

Seems Microsoft is changing philosophy. In the past, they seemed to revere backward compatibility over performances.

Perhaps Windows 11 has got some inspiration from Big Sur :wink:

Well… I have a brand new desktop, with a 10th generation I7 processor. It fails the Windows 11 check. As it happens, the motherboard does not have a TPM chip (I suspect that this is going the case for most desktops). The header is there to add a TPM card, but Amazon does not have any, Newegg does not have any affordable ones (some very expensive Supermicro are listed).

Unless manufacturers start producing a lot of these, few desktops will be upgraded to Windows 11. I will keep my desktops (except for one) on Windows 10 and use them as is. If they are still usable at the end of Win 10 support, then I will move them to Linux. I already converted a number of computers to Linux; the converted computers are still completely fit for their intended purposes.

1 Like

You likely can enable it.

I had to enable TPM 2.0 in bios on 8th Gen of i7.

For me it was under:
Advanced/PCH-FW

Its usually not called TPM in the Bios.

I still use a Windows 7 VM to build Windows apps in.
I have a couple of Win 10 machines, but just cannot bring myself to move. There are no benefits.

Maybe when you hack (as many are already doing) the need of a Trusted Platform Module, your system became “untrustful”. The TPM is used for many cryptographic operations on the system, when people hack some TPM dll to force the install to continue without it, maybe they hurt other related abilities.

I thought that I could enable some bios options also, but so far I am out of luck. I don’t seem to have options. The motherboard manual indicates that a separate module must be purchased. That might explain it…

Mine also has slot for separate module which the manual talks about. The CPU has it built in though so if your 8th Gen or later then you almost certainly got setting for it like I had. Just question of what its called.

lol ALL the hardware 2016+ must have the 2.0 version. Older hardware can have a 1.2 version that can be upgraded to 2.0 with a BIOS update

It is usually under PCH-FW Configuration

Can be Trusted Platform Module, TPM, or the vendor’s name, like: Intel Platform Trust Technology

1 Like

I do hope you test under win 10 :smiley:

There is no hack whatsoever, and Windows 10 recognizes the installer as valid. They must have changed something.

Are you telling that you install Win10 in the VM and do an update to Win 11 over it?

Anyway, I see that some VM Hosts allow vTPM, so the VM can access a virtualized version of the cryptoprocessor. So the fail to sign software under it can be related to something else, and maybe “by design” before the release. :man_shrugging:t2:

Was going to update my 2010 laptop this summer but will hold off until the dust settles
Maybe look at upgrading during the holidays

My laptop is to old and cannot run Win 11 but I’m in no rush, and no I do not have users that will be adopting Win 11 right away so no hurry for me

Go win10 route if you already isn’t.

I’m on Win10 :+1:

I already know two crazies on my user base using this “beta” on production.

1 Like