Best Mac for Xojo Development

From what I read Laptops are poorly supported by Hackintosh.

And my brother bought a “desktop replacement” PC laptop once. Because of overheating it would reduce the processor speed all the time, and then summer came and the obnoxious piece of cr@p would shut down every 10 min! With the loss of whatever he was doing at the time! So don’t get sucked in by the hype.

Funny you should say that as I have the same problem with a 12" MacBook at the moment, it’s currently 32?c outside (I’m inside with the ceiling fans going) and under High Sierra, YouTube is usable for a couple of minutes, then gets very choppy, everything grinds away very slowly. Under Yosemite I can watch YouTube for a while, but then I get a thermal warning.

Ultra-thin laptops; don’t get sucked in by the hype. :wink:

P.S. Apple’s solution, turn the A/C on, which means I’d have to turn on A/C everytime I want to use this machine from now until November. 2012 MacBook Pro, apart from half dead ports, knackered battery, 16GB of RAM; it continues to runs like a champ, including every single key on the keyboard!

I hope you disabled Flash and watch it as HTML5? The symptoms you describe happened on my wife’s 2012 13in MBP when she was using Flash. After I removed Flash (a security risk anyway) it ran fine.

And use an Adblocker like uBlock. There were a few reports about Mining software hiding in ads …

[quote=390713:@Markus Winter]I hope you disabled Flash and watch it as HTML5? The symptoms you describe happened on my wife’s 2012 13in MBP when she was using Flash. After I removed Flash (a security risk anyway) it ran fine.

And use an Adblocker like uBlock. There were a few reports about Mining software hiding in ads …[/quote]
Yup, no flash and I used an add Blocker.

It first started with Safari on High Sierra, the experience was horribly jerky, so I switched to FireFox and was blown away by the performance, however now that’s also jerky.

Fingers crossed it’ll run better in Mojave.

I didn’t think my MBP was THAT slow, and it isn’t…
Turns out it is definitely the MBS plugins slowing down launch.
With ALL the MBS plugins, launch time was 125 seconds. <-- you can see why I was saying coffee break
With none of the MBS plugins, launch time 8 seconds.

Guess I need to pare them down to just the ones actively used. That’s going to be fun :frowning:

Edit: 85 seconds launch when pared down to the 16 MBS plugins my projects use. Not great. Those MBS plugins are useful but load time heavy.

==========
With regard to thermal throttling slowing down older Macs. It’s real and can be remedied if you are comfortable repasting CPU’s.
A 2012 vintage MBP is past the main 3-4 year best performance of its factory CPU thermal paste. On a machine that old, you are going to see thermal throttling happen more frequently than when the machine was new. One could blindly change CPU paste, but you can actually test CPU thermal performance without taking the machine apart.

Use Intel Power Gadget to graph CPU frequency while running several terminal sessions with yes > /dev/null. This lets you load the CPU and watch what happens. Your CPU should be pretty resistant to thermal throttle while your thermal paste is good and its heat pipe radiator clean. On my 2012 MBP 15 inch with liquid metal paste, Intel Power Gadget shows the CPU remains non-throttled indefinitely at 3.5 GHz with 4 yes > /dev/null sessions. With 8 sessions running, it barely throttles down to 3.2 GHz. Fans go crazy, but it really doesn’t slow down much.

Before I changed the factory paste at 4 years old, it had aged to the point of thermal throttling in a few minutes with 4 yes > /dev/null sessions. You don’t have to use relatively difficult to handle liquid metal CPU paste. Even a good, regular paste will beat out the old, dried out paste. If you do the CPU stress test when the machine is new, you can even use that as a baseline for later comparisons as a machine ages.

CPU paste aging is a hidden reason some old Mac’s seem to get slower and slower. It’s not just MacOS software bloat. It physically becomes unable to handle the thermal load.

Interesting re thermal paste aging. My previous 2011MBP never seemed to throttle down in speed, but I got really tired of the fans screaming full blast all the time. My 2018 is completely quiet (so far); I think I’ve only ever heard the fan once or twice since buying it, and then only briefly.

I use four Coca Cola Bottle Stopper to get more air moving around my MacBook Pro. And when it start to be more hot, I put a 3 cm tall object and the temperature stop rising (decrease).

Recording from DVB, maximum file downloadings (and both) tends to set the hardware hot (hotter).

Definitely do the thermal throttling test with Intel Power Gadget and terminal. It’s an eye opening, objective test of CPU cooling adequacy. The venerable, 2012’s are extra nifty because you their heatsinks are atop the motherboard. They can be repasted without removing the logic board. Most other MBP models have their CPU heatsink assembly on the underside of the logic board. Those you have to pull the entire logic board.

I too considered a Hackintosh, but stability was the biggest concern. Bad enough on a standard configuration, but troubleshooting a Hackintosh OS kexts, new OS versions, and XOJO bugs seemed too high a gamble. XOJO crashes on a standard configuration are annoying, but at least I know it isn’t the machine or OS install. If my 2012 MBP is good enough for our 2,000 page EHR XOJO app, I’d say the things to look for in a XOJO development machine are…

1. CPU of at least 3.0 GHz / Quad Core
  2. 1 TB SSD (mostly because the 1TB units have more IO lanes than the 512 GB SSD’s)
  3. 16 GB RAM minimum.
  4. Lots of screen space
  5. Multiple backup drives, preferably some of which are SSD.

Geesh. Hits head. I just realized I could have been displaying my library and inspector panes as palettes.
Now they are nicely out of the way on a PackedPixel screen.

That’s exactly what I’d do if I had a PackedPixel screen or two. But how do you buy them? I see no store or Where to Buy info on their site.

Julia,

Sadly, they are currently out of stock because their vendors can’t supply more screens yet. (I emailed them yesterday to ask.)

But they told me they are working on Packed Pixel 2, and that I could sign up on their website for updates.

As of yesterday, there was still a Products link in the top menu bar with the various combinations of offerings. That is now gone. So perhaps when they told me they just ran out, perhaps they really meant JUST ran out of stock. :frowning:

Brings back some very unpleasant memories involving losing a small fortune 18 years ago due to an LCD supplier discontinuing my panel without warning :frowning:

Oh shoot! I didn’t know they were out of supply. Hopefully, a PP2 will be soon. I am not giving mine up!

In the meantime, if you have an iPad (especially high resolution iPad Pro) you can use Duet – it is especially nice with a 12.9" iPP. But a very expensive method if you don’t already have the iPad. The Packet Pixel looked stunningly cheap – you could get TWO of them with the mounting bracket for 229 pounds (about $300 USD). And they weigh only 12 ounces each. One was just half that price.

I’ll seriously consider the Packed Pixel 2 once available even though I own a 12.9" iPP, especially if they offer a version larger than 9.7" in the future.

There was me all getting confused as I thought you were talking about image compression!

If you sort the reviews by date then you’ll see that the recent reviews are VERY negative. Seems something is broken and after 3 months there is still no fix.

Price also has increased massively.

And if you have an iPad Pro then you seem to need Duet Pro … a $20 yearly subscription …

I think I’ll pass …

P.S. Problems are probably due to MacOS 10.13.4 no longer supporting virtual display drivers …

Seems weird. Maybe it’s fixed in 10.13.5 …

[quote=390822:@Markus Winter]If you sort the reviews by date then you’ll see that the recent reviews are VERY negative. Seems something is broken and after 3 months there is still no fix.

Price also has increased massively.

And if you have an iPad Pro then you seem to need Duet Pro … a $20 yearly subscription …

I think I’ll pass …[/quote]

Not completely true. While macOS 10.13.4 broke Duet, it also had that effect on some other external monitors using a virtual display driver. I’m not running 10.13.4 on my MBP, but according to the users at the bottom of this thread a fix is available. And works with 10.13.5 as well.

But truthfully, that is one of the reasons I like the idea of Packed Pixels. And not tying up a $1k+ device as a monitor.

The $20 yearly Pro subscription is NOT needed unless you want to use it as a tablet with the Apple Pencil. To use as a secondary monitor, you only need the free host software and the one-time $20 purchase from the iOS app store. Which you can then load on other iOS devices using the same iCloud account.

I think I got my copy in the early introductory days when it may have been $10, so I guess that may be a massive doubling of price. But I think it was more of an introductory thing, and has been $20 for some time. I don’t suggest buying an iPP just to use Duet. My point was if you already own and carry it, it works pretty well for $20.

That said, these Packed Pixels appear to be a pretty good deal. Or were, while stock remained.

I’m actually intrigued by Twomonusb as it even seems to run on the original iPad 1? With iOS 5?

Also intrigued by Yam Display. The free version runs for 7 minutes so you can see if it works for you … wish the others had that option.

We’re discussing which Mac is best for supporting XOJO’s new API that lets Android tablets work as GPU’s to offload the main machine for image compression. Try to keep up! :slight_smile:

Wow. Now even the Teyadi 512 GB SSD’s are no longer in stock at Amazon. I’m going to have quit recommending items.

So I bought a brand new iMac . Screaming fast. Open, Save, Copy Really fast. I love it.

Just one issue its retina. My old imac was not.

Now the IDE bogs down if there are too many objects on the page.

Its always something…