Best Mac for Xojo Development

Lots of people have really different options on this, but at the risk of starting a few arguments/fist fights:

I would like to know what everyone thinks.

I have not updated my main, everyday development, mac in a few years.
I do a lot of heavy Xojo/ MySQL Xojo web development, so super crisp monitors and high end video mean little to me (Other than eye strain). I seem to spend most of my downtime waiting for Xojo to load projects and to compile.

Given a budget of about $3,500. Which Mac* would you get? How would you outfit it? Memory. Processor? Drive?

*Sorry Windows/Linux lovers – I’m only considering Mac OS

desktop or laptop ( with or without external monitor) ?

Desktop. Lots of monitor space is essential.

you can get a tricked out iMac 27" for less than that…

I have a 2017 iMac 27" with 2 extra monitors, and external HD array… and it is MORE than enough for Xojo work
remember, you don’t want to have performance expectations set by a super computer, you need to also know what you app will do on a “normal” machine

remember, you don’t want to have performance expectations set by a super computer, you need to also know what you app will do on a “normal” machine

Absolutely. My apps are restricted by the cheap networks and wimpy machines that my users employers provide for them.

I’m just impatient and want my DEVELOPMENT machine to really fly.

So 128 Gigs of RAM? Uber fast drive?

We run fine with 24 Gigs of RAM and a Fusion drive in our 27" 5K iMac. I keep the VM’s I use the most (Win 7 32, Win 10 64, Linux Mint 18.3 64) on an external SSD so they’re as fast as possible.

I would say, get a nice MacBook Pro and a nice display, e.g. the 5K display from LG.

That is my setup and it’s quite convenient to just plug in one cable from display to charge and use display, mouse & keyboard.
And when you go to travel, you take your MacBook Pro with you.

iMac 27" with 16-24gb ram, and an ssd drive ( essential) wide enough to store your datas. eventually better video card.
eventually a second usb-c monitor
and an external drive using the second usb-c to store what can"t be in the internal drive.

Not user upgradeable … only adding more RAM, or external devices

Screen real-estate is probably more important than anything.

A neat, portable solution we use are Packedpixels screens. Theese neatly hang on each side of our MacBook Pro screens and nearly double available screen area. Slips on and off in a few seconds. Lets you have a large screen-like experience without tying you to a single physical location. I take them on the road and use them with both 13 and 15 inch MBP’s.

I don’t have any relationship to the company - just really like using their screens.

video of packedpixels
Packedpixels site

These and some Teyadi USB-C external SSD’s (half the physical size of a Samsung T5) are the best things I’ve added to keep our MBP’s effective workhorses.

I recently bought a Dell U3417W monitor (curved 34") to replace two 24" Cinema Displays, and have been extremely pleased with it. Tons of real estate for Xojo, Dash, etc., and NO GAP when looking square on at it. (And neck pain from constantly looking at one side or another is gone!)

As for hardware, I find my 6 core 2012 Mac Pro/32 GB/2TB-SSD more than adequate for Xojo, and 2 or 3 VM’s running for Linux and Windows dev.

I’ll never buy another Mac unless the boot drive is an SSD. Makes a huge difference.

What Art said; an SSD is absolutely essential. I do everything except CAD on my 2018 13" MBP, which is of course why I’m always complaining about the terrible screen usage of Xojo vs RS, but I live with it for the convenience of being able to carry my life around in my bag :slight_smile: I love the keyboard despite its fragility; I’ve had two keys flake out on me, but they eventually fixed themselves - dust, I guess. The machine has 1TB SSD and 16GB of RAM and is generally very fast.

in france (europe ?) we have 3 models of iMac 27" available on build-to-order
with 3 different video cards in it : radeon 570,575 or 580
so it’s not user upgradable, but user buyable ?

[quote=390487:@Jean-Yves Pochez]in france (europe ?) we have 3 models of iMac 27" available on build-to-order
with 3 different video cards in it : radeon 570,575 or 580
so it’s not user upgradable, but user buyable ?[/quote]
Once you bought it, the video card cannot be changed… at least not by the user… at least here in the US
so if you want to upgrade later, you buy a new machine

Guys, iMacs are laptops with a big screen - that’s why they can be so thin. Ever heard anyone complaining that they couldn”t upgrade the graphics card in their laptop?

In other words: your complaints just show that you don’t know the iMac … it’s NOT a desktop like a Mac Pro or a PC box.

Hope to not hijack this thread for more than a single reply, but:

Interesting, and seems inexpensive for the extra screen real estate. Three questions I couldn’t find on their website:

• How heavy are they?
  • What other screen resolutions still look good? Probably 1024x768? Anything else?
  • How fast do these drain a host laptop battery that is not itself plugged into AC power?

It seems like 2048x1536 in a 9.7" would be 264 ppi and too small for my aging eyes. My 2012 15.4" rMBP is 2880x1800 which is 221 but I run it at 1440x900 (or 110 ppi) do be close to my office resolution of 109 ppi using dual 27" monitors at 2560x1440.

I’m guessing you might run these at 1024x768 to get 132ppi? Certainly less than I’d prefer for secondary, but the price seems right and two of them may give more real estate than a single larger secondary portable display.

Mass of two screens + bracket = 816 grams
Power draw is (190 ma @ 5 volts) / screen per my USB power meter
I run display resolution 1008 x 1344 resolution. Easy to adjust resolution via QuickRes app.

Although PackedPixels are retina resolution screens, MacOS won’t treat them as HiDPI without some shenanigans.
You can run some insane high resolutions (up to 1536 x 2048) to see loads of stuff, but 1008 x 1344 is my best on-screen size match for my 15 inch (1920 x 1200) and my (also aged) eyes.

Makes things a lot easier when I have more than one XOJO project migrating things between different “vintage” apps. TextEdit or CotEditor to display documentation. Simultaneously keep abreast of MAIL and Safari on another screen. Beats my life with just the laptop screen hands down.

A laptop becomes a full fledged XOJO work center with these attached.

Does ANY Mac launch XOJO 2018 without a coffee break? These days, I just start XOJO and avoid quitting it. XOJO + Monkeybread plugin load time is painful even with SSD and quad i7.

[quote=390500:@Guy Kuo]Mass of two screens + bracket = 816 grams
Power draw is (190 ma @ 5 volts) / screen per my USB power meter
I run display resolution 1008 x 1344 resolution. [/quote]

Thanks. For those of us in the USA who are metric-challenged, that works out to 1.8 pounds. Or roughly the weight of an 12.9" iPad Pro with keyboard cover. Which can also be used as a secondary monitor via something like the Duet app.

But this is a fraction of that price! (And yes, an iPad Pro is overkill if all you want is more monitor space.)