ARM64 Xojo Priority?

Using an SDXC volume, if compatible, the I/O speed, and the tearing and security of the media, will not be at a comparable level. An SSD SATA will be 4 times faster, and an NVMe can be almost 30x.

It IS a misconception. Maybe inform yourself before telling others what they are allowed to say.

As I once wrote:

Linux

It is probably fair (though completely wrong) to say that ‘Linux’ is the most widely used operating system in the World. Correct would be to say instead that Linux is the most widely used kernel in the World.

So what’s the difference?

A kernel is the part of the operating system that mediates access to system resources. It’s responsible for enabling multiple applications to effectively share the hardware by controlling access to CPU, memory, disk I/O, and networking.

An operating system is the kernel plus applications that enable users to get something done. The most prominent of those applications is one that most users don’t even think of as application: the user interface. Originally text-based (like DOS or CPM), later graphics based (like Atari’s GEM, Amiga’s Workbench, the Mac’s Finder, Windows Explorer, or one of the many Linux Desktops) it is usually mouse-driven and provides useful tools like the terminal, console, system preferences, etc.

Other apps (like word processors, graphic apps, etc) are usually build on top of the operating system.

There are also operating systems that have Linux as their kernel but are not Unix-like. The most widely-used of those is Google’s Android.

What is Linux?

Strictly speaking, Linux is an operating system kernel that is designed like Unix’s kernel. However when people say ‘Linux’ then they most commonly mean a Unix-like operating system that uses Linux as its kernel.

Torvalds began the development of the Linux kernel on MINIX, and applications written for MINIX ran and were used on the Linux kernel. As the Linux kernel matured the further Linux kernel development took place on Linux based systems. GNU applications replaced all MINIX components, thereby avoiding the restriction to “educational use only”, and Torvalds initiated a switch from his original license (which prohibited commercial redistribution) to the GNU GPL.

To create a fully functional and free operating system, developers worked to integrate GNU components with the Linux kernel. Such systems are often known as GNU/Linux, and all major Linux distributions (like Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Red Hat, Suse, etc) consist of GNU/Linux and other software.

[…]

This also brings me straight to a couple of questions that were raised in regard to Android:

Correct me if I’m wrong … but as Android is related to Linux it should be a very small step to make an Android Target, right? I just wonder why it hasn’t been done, since the Linux Target has been around for quite a while …

If Android would be “Unix-like” then Xojo would certainly have a much easier time making it a target for compilation. But it isn’t, as the answer to the next question explains:

But if Linux is Unix-like and Android is Linux-based, shouldn’t Android become Unix-like by default?

Not at all. While “Android is Linux-based” is true with regard to the kernel (and you can install a Unix-like command line on Android), and “Linux is Unix-like” is true with regard to the whole operating system (the kernel plus applications, incl. the user interface), Android is NOT Unix-like, and “native” Android apps use an API (Application Programming Interface) that is completely different from Unix.

So while support for Android terminal apps (via shell) should be easy to implement in Xojo, Android simply wouldn’t understand when you send it commands for Linux APIs (basically everything else but the shell). For example when you say in Xojo something like dim w as new window then that is being translated into the proper API calls for the target you compile for. That’s how Xojo manages to use native controls, by using the native APIs. As Android isn’t Unix-like you have to implement all these calls, which is quite an undertaking, even disregarding the splintered nature of the Android ecosystem…

So now you also know why it takes Xojo so long to create an Android target when they were able to compile for Linux for many years.

Because ANDROID IS NOT LINUX.

So if you would have written

Android = Linux kernel plus it’s own Application Programming Interface

THEN you would have been correct. But

Android = Linux

is wrong.

2 Likes

i’m not sure what you mean by “Linux” but it’s definately NOT something that is well known as “Linux” maybe you see it as “Unix”?

whatever you say you may believe. You are talking about the Java VM build on top of the Linux… This is a LAYER on top the Linux Kernel used by Android.

Android is NOT Unix-like, and “native” Android apps use an API (Application Programming Interface) that is completely different from Unix.

That doesn’t make it another base OS ? It’s still Linux. But now it’s become Linux + another Layer… e.g the Java VM… The part where xojo is binding into and communicating with for “Android”.

The only thing different here is that the GUI layer is managed differently so Xojo must target it differently . That isn’t making it another OS by it’s base, it’s just making it a different Xojo target.

i bet it’s still possible to run console applications on android that are build for linux using the correct architecure. Because it’s STILL linux, the kernel and most libraries are still in there.

So now you also know why it takes Xojo so long to create an Android target when they were able to compile for Linux for many years.

That’s just because there is NO other GUI system (layer) on the Linux Kernel for Android other than the Java VM layer that google helped building. This still doesn’t make it something other than “Linux”…

if you read:

5…6…and…7 are Android Custom… All other parts are still Linux

Here is a view that shows you can still run normal linux apps on Android:

Back on topic, count me in on this ARM-64 would be a really useful target, not a requirement per-se but since a 64-bit arm system with 64-bit os would make it much easier to run the software build in xojo.

You might notice that Linux.com nowhere claims that Android IS Linux (and it isn’t listed under distributions either). What they say is:

Just like Windows, iOS, and Mac OS, Linux is an operating system. In fact, one of the most popular platforms on the planet, Android, is powered by the Linux operating system.

which is exactly what I have been saying, and that’s why Android != Linux.

Glad we agree that he Application Programming Interface is completely different. Still means your assertion

Android = Linux

is wrong. If it would have been correct then Xojo could have compiled for Android years ago as Linux has been a target for Xojo since 2005.

If you where to say “The Android Target != Linux Target” i’d say you right.
But you simply say “Android is NOT Linux” which is actually, technically incorrect since Android at it’s base is Linux.

I still as others like to see the Arm-64 target so we can develop some energy efficient nice iOT apps.

Then I presume a Volkswagen Beatle with a VW motor on a Porsche chassis is a Porsche … :wink:

Chassis

yes marcus as long as we can develop for it the “Xojo” target will be called “Android” …

Well M.2 SSDs are not cheap, compared to the Raspberry Pi. There are already hats that are made to connect an M.2 drive to a Raspberry Pi, but the connection is through a USB port.

The Compute module 4 provides a PCIe Gen 2 interface that my provide faster interface to M.2 devices.

1 Like

Well, a small 120Gb SSD m.2 sata is $28. I consider it cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-A400-240G-SATA-Internal/dp/B07P22T3VD/

1 Like

I have no interest in using a Pi module, I have interest in the “full computer-keyboard Pi product”, the Pi400, also have no interest in using m.2 occupying the USB I/O at a lower speed because such route, also I don’t want to use that ugly external hat too.

The original name was GNU/Linux. GNU (stands for GNU’s not UNIX, a recursive joke) was what the OS part was called. However as other people added things the GNU was dropped so the whole thing became known as Linux. Android which is also Java based, is being orphaned by Google BTW. However this has nothing to do with ARM64 support for Linux distros.

Bad argument since the Porsche 914 WAS a Porsche Chassis and a VW Type IV Motor with Porsche badging manufactured at the VW Karmann plant.

Another correction while I’m at it - originally, distros were referred to as LGX for Linux/GNU/X11. GNU/Linux was something that Richard Stallman kept promoting until it stuck.

Linux user and developer here, this question is asked a lot on every commercial software in existence. If no one makes software for the less popular platforms then you might as well just hand Microsoft and Apple the monopoly they pretty much have and then be forced into whatever terrible terms they think up (30% store fees, platform locking, walled gardens). I started using and bought pro Xojo because it has Linux support, if it lost it I would not be purchasing a Windows or Mac PC for it.

Also the market share is ~3% now so almost 300% growth since this post.

That’s miniscule and won’t garner a lot of attention from developers unless it is some niche piece of software targeted specifically at an area where Linux is used.

Linux never gained market share because it is too difficult for the average user. You kind of have to be a “geek” to use it. One can’t easily find computers with it preinstalled like the plethora of Windows and Apple boxes available. All the distros and versions, blah, who wants to mess with that. No real phone integration or tablet support like with Android and Apple, limited “APPS” and support, etc. etc.

IMHO - There is nothing on the horizon for it to gain wide-spread “consumer” adoption beyond single digits and therefore not a lot of developers are going to spend time developing for it.

1 Like

Unless you’re talking about a server. I’d bet that going forward we’ll see more and more ARM based servers simply because of the efficiencies that come with it.

You earn > $1Billion a year ?
Else it is far less (forget how many)…

And, 30 years ago, you already give 30% (or more) to the software editor/distributor…

Yes, I never understand why people rant about that “fee”…

The are many Linux computer vendors. Framework offers Linux, Tuxedo laptops, pine64, the Steam deck, KDE Slimbooks.

Just because they aren’t billionaires doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

I tried Linux a decade ago and I would of agreed. I switched to Linux on all my PCs about 8 months ago and it’s come a LONG way. I rarely am required to use the console unless doing “geek” things…
For Linux to steal ANY market share against Microsoft and it’s desktop monopoly is remarkable.

In 2010 Apple’s market share was just over 5% in the desktop space. More developers = more market share and I believe Linux has a lot to offer but in most cases 0 marketing and it STILL is gaining VS the other 2s billions in marketing.

Not saying to focus on Linux but to drop it’s support is short sighted.

Not sure where the 1 billion number comes from, Steam a monopoly I like charges 30% on every sale, Google Play 30%, Apple Charges 15% for under a million in revenue.
These fees are rediculously high. Microsoft is cheaper but they are desperate to kill EXEs and have people adopt thier store.