ARM64 Xojo Priority?

But it would highly encourage people to look on Xojo.

Promote Xojo as the easy to use tool to write stuff for upcoming 64-bit boards or the ARM based servers.

In my opinion a low hangin fruit.

2 Likes

And the request is effectively just to keep the already existing target up to date.

2 Likes

Linux desktops have grown to about 2% but 1/3 of Web servers are Lunux. But in the IoT space wot we are talking about, Linux rules. This makes Xojo a contender for all sorts of projects and allows developers to create products. Plus, using containers, our code can run on AWS to scale linearly or offline on an embedded device if we want it to. That is huge.

I may be throwing a spanner in the works here, but isn’t Linux a niche market? I mean, it has a market share of <1%. Why invest time and money in it? Xojo Inc would be better off using its precious time to keep Windows,macOS, iOS and upcoming Android running.

Just my 2cent

Deplatforming from walled garden ecosystems is a big thing now. If your app on the app store falls outside of the political preferences of the owners of the garden, you get kicked out, no appeals. Sadly the taste of this powerful political ban hammer has been far too irresistible of a tool to use ethnically and thus is now applied to matters that dont have safety or security issues, but are purely political in nature.

Recent case in point, unrestricted political speech was secretly festering on an iOS app used in China. Chinese citizens where using it for the discussion of a wide range of issues from organ harvesting to the slave trade. When the Chinese Communist Party got wind of this, they called up Tim Cook and poof that little problem was solved instantly. Then there are the known and now accepted information leaking and privacy destroying “features” of Windows 10, reporting every keystroke and Mac OSX checking hashes of your apps against a centralized list before execution, for your “security and safety” to be sure.

Point being that society badly needs open source and public information platforms who are not allowed to be the sole controller of the “truth”. Walled garden APIs and ecosystems are an extreme threat to the free flow of information, truth and ideas when there is no alternative that can circumvent official censorship.

Linux, in its many forms and flavors is the literal last stand for freedom of information and consumer choice. It may not have the numbers and gigantic audience of iOS, Android and Windows, but when you are speaking truth to power, or under duress from official oppression, you will come to appreciate its essential and public servicing nature.

This market will only grow larger as the grip is tightened.

3 Likes

I would say freedom of choice is a fundamental value proposition for Xojo. It’s what x-platform is all about.

Most likely, support for the ARM64 platform will appear once the Raspberry Pi officially releases their 64-bit operating systems for their latest devices.

On a side note, the Raspberry Pi organization seems pretty delighted to announce that Microsoft is now offering their Visual Studio Code editor for the Pi. A lot of educators have wanting this to happen, as it provides students with a uniform platform for learning beginning code development, such as Python, Javascript, Java, C / C++, etc. Microsoft seems to believe that the Pi is a window of opportunity for drawing / attracting more students their direction.

The Raspberry Pi seems to have the reputation of a nice starting computer that almost anyone can afford. Almost like the Commodore 64 back in the day. Many people have the Raspberry Pi, can make decent programs, and is a good learning tool for those who want to learn electronic automation. The Raspberry Pi can do many things, and some try to use the Arduino for programming instead. Arduino electronics is good for seasoned programmers, and for getting started the Raspberry Pi is a great way to learn.

2 Likes

I hear this for about 20 years now and still it has a whopping users base of <1% - nuff said. :slight_smile:

Where are you getting that number, and why are you so anti-focused on this? Many of us are now creating tools with Xojo for ARM-based single board computers for all sorts of real-world uses. Look at @Wes_Westhaver and his ComVette project. Unfortunately, as more and more SoC Pi-compatible systems are launched, 32bit is becoming a thing of the past.

Remember, just because something’s not important to you, does not lessen its importance to others.

7 Likes

Anyhow… as said for years (some) people are shouting out the rise of Linux. It never got a huge gain bump in general. Am I opposed Linux? No, not all all. It just a niche market and even the hardest Linux-diehard should acknowledge it is not a popular platform. :slight_smile:
So my point is, why would Xojo Inc put time into this instead of adding better support for popular OS platforms? That’s were the money is for Xojo Inc.
But of course I understand that the (few) users that do use Xojo for Linux , are raising their voices now. :wink:

Android = linux
With linux in this chart they mean probably computers in use with linux desktop software.

While pi is not meant for desktop replacement (yet) and probably not even counted in this chart.

You don’t wanna know how many more devices are linux rather than something else. Much more than this chart shows. For example you use multiple (linux mostly) servers to back a good website or API.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more.

I made a conscious decision to abandon Windows in 2017 and moved to Linux. I grew tired of being jerked around by Microsoft. As a Microsoft fan-boy for most of my career I lived through several situations where Microsoft pulled the rug out from under me and left me with a skill set that was no longer marketable.

Moving to Linux It was much easier than I expected. And to my surprise, I have found that for every application I gave up on Windows I have found a replacement that is arguably better than its Windows counterpart.

2 Likes

A machine with 8Gbytes and fast enough and very cheap could beome a desktop contender. Also easier perhaps for software writers who won’t have these hurdles that Apple has been busy adding in recent years.

I’m just waiting Raspberry Foundation to launch the next step after the RP400 (410, 500…) with a M.2 slot to buy one. I just need a SSD there.

1 Like

You can put the drive into an external USB3 case. Not as fast but Pi4 is certainly good enough for many desktop users, and the whole i3-comparable system costs less than $200. However Pi4 uses a 15 Watt power supply. (Still a big power/cooling saving when compared with most desktops.) Lower-power ARM devices is where IoT is really at, for example running remotely off solar cells with battery. Xojo is ideally placed to scale down to this level to power a plethora of new cost-effective products and solutions.

1 Like

I want it integrated and internal on the proper fast bus not wasting an USB port and not as an external peripheral. Adding a monitor/TV to such computer/keyboard will be really a low cost option for students and small businesses.

2 Likes

Add a 128GB or 256GB SDXC volume.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-256GB-Ultra-UHS-I-Memory/dp/B08GY4K5DS/

A common misconception.

Android is build on GNU/Linux don’t say it’s a misconception.
The linux kernel is used and many of it’s libraries are used.

And many things from the java sources…

if my memory is correct.