ARM64 Xojo Priority?

This questions is toward Xojo themselves. Is ARM64 a low, medium, or high priority in the scheduling? (I’m not talking about intent, where everything is high priority, I’m talking about in what place you are actually prioritizing this feature.)

3 Likes

While you wait for an official answer, here’s the roadmap.

1 Like

Thanks Joseph; … not on there even. Oh well. (+1 on the suggestion plan?) =)

OK - on this subject, if Xojo 2020 r2 introduced Apple Silicon support, which is in other words “M1”, which is actually arm64 - so, why isn’t it a priority for Xojo to put that technology into compiling for Pi-type (like Odroid, which is my need) arm64 OS’s? Seems easy if it’s ARM and 64-bit.

1 Like

If there’s enough demand for it, we will consider doing it. I don’t think it’s a big job but everything comes with an opportunity cost meaning that if we are doing A, we are not doing B. So if there are enough people that want it, we will likely do it.

3 Likes

I’d renew my Pro license tomorrow if it included ARM 64.

3 Likes

I am building my plugins with Linux 64 ARM for over 2 years already.
It’s an easy step from 32-bit.

I’d be very happy to see ARM 64 supported, but it would require some bugs to be fixed too before I could make proper use of it.

If it was compatible with Amazon Graviton processors it would be of interest to us.

See ARM64 - it's time! and make sure you throw some points at <https://xojo.com/issue/42794>, where it’s currently third.

2 Likes

I am getting the occasional request to provide examples with Xojo for 64-bit electronics with Raspberry Pi OS.

I have added points to this request :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just added my points. Now it sits 2nd behind Android support.

1 Like

I may be throwing a spanner in the works here, but isn’t Linux a niche market? I mean, it has a market share of <1%. Why invest time and money in it? Xojo Inc would be better off using its precious time to keep Windows,macOS, iOS and upcoming Android running.

Just my 2cent

1 Like

My assumption is from translating my scripts to build plugins from arm32 to arm64 is that, you duplicate a lot of scripts and swap out a few paths (to new compiler) and the architecture parameter.
Then you rebuild and enjoy.

It’s not a lot of work, except waiting for compiler. And I’d assume this could be done in a day for Xojo.
And it could be done in several steps over weeks, like first do the libraries used, build the plugins and finally the IDE.

1 Like

Raspberry PI brought them a lot of good will back then, new discussion at new places but because of 64 bit then their just about to fall off this bandwagon. (and already have largely done so). So in my mind it is not like new venture per see but more of keeping this platform alive.

3 Likes

Anybody using Linux on AWS could potentially see a 20% - 20% drop in running costs on AWS if they switched to their ARM processors.

I say the same thing, Geoff, start counting the money in your pocket =) Hopefully it gets beyond the tipping point.

Question though: would this ARM64 just be for Raspberry PI Corp.? What about Odriod, which is a 64-bit ARM64 OS. Would such a Xojo support for “ARM64” support that too?

32 bit implementation supported more or less all the ARMv7 32bit boards. Even if they do not officially test for them obviously since that would be endless test matrix.

So compiling for amr64 would likely mean same more or less.

Granted. But that’s still “that day” missing for work on something else ;-). I believe that’s all that @Geoff is saying.

As developers, we know that nothing is really achieved in one day. Add to your list, testing, QA, documentation tasks and not to forget people raising tickets after GoLive that this and that is not working as expected and that they need urgent bug fixes, etc. Plus the marketing work (and cost) to promote the new addition to the family. All of this will block some resources for quite a while.

This said, I have currently no need for it yet but I still endorse the idea. I can imagine that it will help to spread the word about Xojo and that alone is a valid and good argument (for me).