2016 Wish List: My wishes for the Xojo future

Here is my wish list for 2016:

• I want to use a iPad Pro as my main machine. So it would be perfect, when Xojo would run on the iPad Pro. [Yes the compiling would be a problem with Apple, but to write the code on an iPad Pro would be cool. Compiling it later on an other machine would be a option. Or compiling it via a Cloud.]

• Xojo should compiling Android Apps. What Xojo does with iOS is fantastic. So a Android compiler would be cool. [I know that is complicated, but its only a wish list]

For me

WebListBox= on Desktop ListBox power

Use Remote Desktop (Windows) or VNC (for Mac/ Linux) for working with full desktops. Terminal Services are common in enterprise infrastructures. You could even try to use Remote Desktop Software like TeamViewer Hosts. This works pretty good and I am using this for remote assistance for servers and customers.

Regarding Android, well this platform is far too fragmented and its future too unclear in terms of which direction they will take on UI and APIs. On Android you are not in a walled and curated garden like on iOS anymore. My rough guess is that this is not gonna happen in the next couple of years. You can’t make money with Android from my point of view.

Xojo is in urgent need to make iOS and Windows more accessible. Think about HiDPI/Retina support through the whole framework, think about ModernUI, AutoLayout for Desktop Apps, the new framework at all and of course more/updated cross-platform Controls making the Apps not look alien on each platform.

In 2015 XOJO set the foundation, in 2016 this should be filled with live (and more love esp. for Windows platform). Ja I tend to say that XOJO is in need of a Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion like Strategy.

+1 … more importantly I dont think Xojo would make back an investment in creating a compiler.

Maybe not directly from selling Android Apps, but when you are approached by a customer to develop an app for both iOS & Android working from a common source would help a heap. And then you would be making money from Android.

This would also allow Xojo to become the mobile app goto product.

I have dabbled with iOS Xojo apps and have ported my “tools” to work across the range of Xojo targets there is still this huge hole that I can’t fill - yet.

iOS : A decent set of controls, including a complete table, and support of scrollview. Heck, Xojo, Buy the dtPlugins source code from Jean-Paul Devulder who just dropped the towel, and you’re ready to go !

Windows : When I read Apple will have Retina support, I cannot help but fear that once again Windows will be the lesser child with no support for hiDpi. And I do not know if it is even possible, but I still wish .NET was considered.

[quote=238962:@Wayne Golding]Maybe not directly from selling Android Apps, but when you are approached by a customer to develop an app for both iOS & Android working from a common source would help a heap. And then you would be making money from Android.

This would also allow Xojo to become the mobile app goto product.

I have dabbled with iOS Xojo apps and have ported my “tools” to work across the range of Xojo targets there is still this huge hole that I can’t fill - yet.[/quote]

Agreed though the remaining question is: Stabilize one mobile platform first, before overstreching it… or in other words: Serving professional and perfect solution for iOS or dealing with huge holes on both platforms, Android and iOS…

listbox on demand, a wish dating back from 2001.

1. Good reporting tool
  2. Date / Time control
  3. Good Grid control

[quote=238994:@Sunil Abraham]1. Good reporting tool
2. Date / Time control
3. Good Grid control[/quote]

Check Bob BKeeney’s Shorts and Einhugur Date/Time and Grid Controls…

1 - Adopt more modern Windows APIs (.NET, WinRT)
2 - Enhance IDE usability to help all users (novice or pro) be more productive

Yeah !

1 - Fix/Update/Add things so things are up to ‘standard’ and I no longer need to use all kind of workarounds for the MAS. Like using NSTask for Shells, set BundleID, Retina Support, Major, Minor & Bug Version are still pointing to CFBundleVersion instead of CFBundleShortVersionString, Signing etc. etc…
2 - Give Windows a lot more love.
3 - Make the 64 bit debugger work.
4 - enums that make sense and can be used with the inspector.
5 - Class for loading and saving preferences using the platform’s standard.
6 - Option to compile libraries/plugins.
7 - Make controls look platform native (toolbar/listbox etc.)
8 - Let me ignore sub-forums
9 - Let me un-ignore previously ignored threads
(10 - Show an error-free working 64 bit IDE build using the new framework so I dare to switch.)

my 2c :slight_smile:

Huh? What did I miss?

Hey there’s a system for this. How about you all use Feedback & assign your points to the FR that makes you happy? Oh and by the way give us some F/R numbers to vote for - I’m only using 2 of 5 slots at the moment.

https://forum.xojo.com/28093-dtplugins-ios-v1-60/p1#p236748

Of course my 5 slots are full. Not sure if it helps a lot with my single license though.
And if I look at the top 20, see the dates and only see 3 of them are marked ‘scheduled’, I wonder if it actually helps that much.
But please fill them up with something. Don’t leave them open.

@Tomas Jakobs I agree there are huge holes in all platforms, and adding another one will just stretch the team further. I am wondering if Xojo is at the edge of the metaphorical abyss, take the leap and become something really special or fade away?

With a leap into Android I can see a multi billion dollar company, without we’ll see.

I couldn’t sell my solutions so far because i cannot answer the question: What’s the timeline for Android-Phones?
in the commercial world there are a lot more Adroid phones sold than iOS-Phones!!!

[quote=239118:@Hans-Jürgen Müller]I couldn’t sell my solutions so far because i cannot answer the question: What’s the timeline for Android-Phones?
in the commercial world there are a lot more Adroid phones sold than iOS-Phones!!![/quote]
This is the reason why I am not developing with the Xojo iOS platform so far. Everything you make for commercial usage asks for a Android equivalent, you simply can’t ignore.

I am hoping for some maintenance releases first. Just too much issues pending too long is my opinion.
The team does an excellent job bringing Xojo to the wonderful multi-platform it is today, but I don’t think it’s realistic to assume to be ready for Android shortly without serious investments / partnerships.
Important strategic discussions need to be made right now otherwise future is not guaranteed I am afraid.