dtPlugins IOS v1.60

v1.60 is out

what news ?

dtCollection support now multiples selection, multiples sections, footer and header image

dtMapKit have now 2 new map types

dtListView support now pull to refresh control

new control, rounded button with image support

Such a great plugin. I might have had to continue making iOS apps in Objective-C, if it wasn’t for this plugin. Thanks Jean-Paul.

I’ll probably get flamed for asking this. But does XOJO have any intention of building “Xojo for iOS” out to the point where a majority of these plugins are not required… As in Xojo will support basic UIKit functionality the same way other iOS platforms do?

This is the major reason I have chosen another path for iOS, as I don’t want to go back a year or two from now and rip out things to change it to the “proper” method (assuming a proper method exists in the future). Personally I think Xojo should be giving the current level of iOS tool away for free, and charge for it when it becomes a more mature product, that way they will have hooked a large customer base.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I’m so disappointed when I see a plugin being published for these kinds of things. And please DON’T GET ME WRONG… I have a great admiration for those such as Jean-Paul, Jason etc who are doing these, my disappoint is with XOJO in this respect

We’re off-topic now (sorry Jean-Paul) but I understand your sentiment. I know that Xojo have had other challenges this year, 64-bit being the biggest. But I had hoped we’d have a more-fleshed out product by now. I think it’s clear that Xojo have decided the community is filling in enough of the blanks that they can focus elsewhere for now. I think that’s a pity. Didn’t they say they were going to “aggressively” add other iOS controls and functionality? It doesn’t seem very aggressive to me.

On the flip-side, I am finding that making large numbers of small iOS apps is a faster process in Xojo than it ever was for me in Xcode. But if it wasn’t for Jean-Paul, that probably wouldn’t be the case. So I’ve got mixed feelings on this.

Part of the design goal for iOS was such that it WOULD be possible for people to easily extend & add to it.
This set of add ons from Jean Paul is a natural outgrowth of that design goal.

[quote=231338:@Dave S]
This is the major reason I have chosen another path for iOS, as I don’t want to go back a year or two from now and rip out things to change it to the “proper” method (assuming a proper method exists in the future).[/quote]
Not sure why you’d ever need / want to do this just to use our components vs those that are already working for you but that’s your choice.

Same limits & constraints as every other business has.
Time. Money. Qualified Staff. Competing priorities.

The best addition to dtPlugins lately is the possibility to use a container as a cell in the dtListView.
This way you can create complex custom cells for the TableView which is truly awesome and a pity this isn’t added by Xojo Inc by default. imo the current status of the TableView in Xojo is very poor and incredible basic.

imo everyone who is creating an iOS app with Xojo just NEEDS the dtplugins unless you want to make a very basic app doing almost nothing. :slight_smile:

A big two thumbs up for Jean-Paul !

[quote=231331:@jean-paul devulder]v1.60 is out

what news ?

dtCollection support now multiples selection, multiples sections, footer and header image

dtMapKit have now 2 new map types

dtListView support now pull to refresh control

new control, rounded button with image support[/quote]

Sorry if I’m asking for the obvious (I’m new to dtPlugins), but where can I download the update (as a licensed user)?

[quote=231342:@Norman Palardy]Part of the design goal for iOS was such that it WOULD be possible for people to easily extend & add to it.
This set of add ons from Jean Paul is a natural outgrowth of that design goal.[/quote]
In the context of limited resources, time, etc., this seems like it was an excellent choice which has proven itself in the great work of Jean-Paul, Jason, Ulrich (and probably others whom I’ve neglected to mention).

In fact, it already does through declares. Sure, it is somewhat uncomfortable to have to go through Apple’s documentation with calls description in Objective-C and Swift, and that requires some knowledge of one of them. While I could never stomach Objective-C (even with all the Maalox in the world), I find Swift to often be rather friendly, and not too far from the Xojo declare structure.

After all, that is exactly what we have been doing for many years with OS X.

It is in the culture of RB/Xojo to extend the RAD beyond its limitations. Declares and plugins have always been the bread and butter of workarounds and new controls. So there is nothing shocking about that.

Even if Xojo “aggressively” produces more controls, we all know they will never meet all the ambitions. That is where good, professional packages like dtPlugins have all their place, like it is already the case for other platforms. Just as well as libraries like those cited above, or even my modest XojoiOSWrapper to use existing code.

dtForm looks good Jean-Paul. I’m currently getting these types of results from dtListView but I can see that this takes it further and I love the in-line date picker! One thing, though. Would you please make it so that it supports a grouped section heading, not just the un-grouped section heading style as shown in the video? That would be awesome. :slight_smile:

What happened ? Bob’s post all the sudden threw you into depressive mode or what ?

Look at it this way : if you continue selling what you got so far, it does not cost you a penny, you won’t have to work for $2.00 an hour, and you offer service to the community. Nothing forces you to keep creating new versions.

Please don’t deprive the community of your existing plugins.

Wow! Sad to see, but at least this was done cleanly. Does make one wonder about 3rd party vendors when this was hailed as “a natural outgrowth of [Xojo’s] design goals”.

We’re such a small and inter-dependent community that the loss of a single vendor – who mostly make excellent controls and fill very specific niches – can be significant. It’s a fragile ecosystem at best. Xojo Inc., and we as well, would be wise to consider what their product appeal would be like minus, say, the top three or four 3rd party vendors. It would be a pretty barren landscape.

Note to 3rd parties. Please don’t take the same plane to the next XDC.

Sad to hear but I do understand. But think you should ask more for your plugins. It was just too cheap.

[quote=236748:@jean-paul devulder]theirs products are sold out
support continue for registered users
3rd party tools is not rentable for me, when i look sell and time passed in projects, i work for 2$ hours :wink:

see this nice thread on suject on bob blog [/quote]

Can you please create a Mailing List and send download Links to registered Users on each Update?

Yes, that would be great.

May I say that I find this weird.
When you are still delivering support to registered users, why not keeping the sales open?
You still have to do the work for the registered users.
Every product that you sell from now on can be seen as extra. :wink:
Just my 2 cents.

@jean-paul devulder Sorry to hear this.

I own a lot of Xojo 3rd party tools, libraries and add-ons. And that is the first thought that comes to my mind a lot of the time as I am sending the payment. Too cheap. Not that I like over-paying for products and services, but I know in a small community like this, vendors are not going to going to get rich on a big volume of cheap sales. In fact, many of them have trouble finding reasons to keep the products going. I’d much rather pay 3 or 4 times what they are asking, if it will make it worth it for them to keep producing the products and keep on improving them.

This is too bad. I recently bought the Xojo plugin bundle to experiment with, I had never used plugins before and was impressed by how much easier things are when using them. I was just getting ready to buy the dtPlugins IOS version - no wonder I can’t find it. Late to the party as usual. I can’t do any of that stuff on my own so my iOS app will just have to wait.

@ Jean-Paul:

You are a very talented coder and it would be a pity to see you leaving dtPlugins.
Maybe I can suggest keeping it alive but push the price up to - lets say $99 (or more). The plugins are worth it (both OSX and iOS).
Also, you would sell more if the examples are better. If you want, I can help you with that.