2016 Wish List: My wishes for the Xojo future

[quote=239118:@Hans-Jürgen Müller]I couldn’t sell my solutions so far because i cannot answer the question: What’s the timeline for Android-Phones?
in the commercial world there are a lot more Adroid phones sold than iOS-Phones!!![/quote]

Check https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

Not quite Xojo for Android, but close enough for me.

Well as consultant I would answer: It depends… on your customers, products and marketing concepts.

Android might have the greater market share, but when checking my Google Analytics or GoSquared Website Stats from my several business or flying Websites I clearly see iOS devices dominating. I am sure, if I would sell ringtones or emojis Icons this would be very different…

Better Question would be: Is your target group using Android? And are they using their Android for surfing, buying and business?

B4A ??

Think this is an escape, but it’s the first step leaving Xojo. If so, I should develop both, iOS + Android version in B4A. Hmm…

[quote=239118:@Hans-Jürgen Müller]I couldn’t sell my solutions so far because i cannot answer the question: What’s the timeline for Android-Phones?
in the commercial world there are a lot more Adroid phones sold than iOS-Phones!!![/quote]

strange as I get “do you have a iphone solution” 10 times more than android… Most of the android solutions people want is an “android friendly” web app (runs on a webserver and servers a tweaked android view).

NSTask can’t be used for Shell because the two have different semantics. The Shell class actually invokes the command inside of a shell, which NSTask doesn’t do.

This one comes up often, but rarely is it anything past “fix the flicker”. This isn’t doable as long as we use native Win32 controls. I’ve spent a long while looking into this and the framework would have to draw the controls itself or fully switch to WPF.

What doesn’t make sense about enums?

Just about all controls in the framework are native, including toolbars. The controls that aren’t fully native are drawn using theme APIs so that they look correct.

We have been working on HiDPI support on Windows.

WinRT isn’t a suitable replacement for the desktop framework and WPF’s future seems a bit uncertain.

Interesting: I see the complete opposite. I can appreciate that for some Xojo customers there is a potential to make money from selling custom product that matches iOS.

But for Xojo, the issue is ‘is it profitable for Xojo’?

How many developers/days would it take to create a stable Android compiler?
2 people, one year?
How many licences would it take to cover that investment… 200? 300? more?

[quote=239160:@Joost Rongen]B4A ??

@Michel Bujardet Not quite Xojo for Android, but close enough for me.
Think this is an escape, but it’s the first step leaving Xojo. If so, I should develop both, iOS + Android version in B4A. Hmm…[/quote]

If I may, beware of totalism (the do it all solution), or binary thinking.

As nice as on the surface B4i may look, it is not B4A for iOS. There are significant differences, and you will not be able to have the same code for both platforms.

At least for me, Xojo is a coherent and integrated RAD for OS X, Windows, Linux Desktop with common source. Xojo Web and Xojo iOS do have differences, but yet, a great deal of logic can be retained, even if it requires such tricks as my XojoiOSWrapper or other toolboxes.

To me, B4A is the quick and least painful way to have an Android offering when a customer requires both mobile systems. Past the real disadvantages of the B4A IDE (gosh, when I read that Xojo is a bad IDE, it is a Rolls Royce as compared), I am not ready to completely change just yet.

Superb. Thank you.

The big question is whether Windows 10 new UWP application model (Universal Windows Programs) will be a success or not. So far, the Windows Store has not been up to the promises, but that may change when the Centennial bridge will allow bottling Win32 and .NET Desktop apps into an Appx next year. At any rate, that will be a superb opportunity for Xojo Windows apps.

I am afraid that more and more people only going to look to the surface and no longer take the efforts to look what is under Xojo. Even without Android, Xojo is still an excellent development tool.

The addition of another platform (Raspberry) a few months ago is again a big step forward for Xojo. This brings the world of microcontrollers in range of developers with no electronic knowledge. I was very sceptic about Xojo for Raspberry but based on what I read here in the past about it, Xojo inc succesfully added and supported a brand new platform.

I do not know what to think about Android. Its landscape is so differentiated. I like Xojo support for the Android platform very much, however I am afraid like others mentioned, that for Xojo it will be a big pitfall. It is not as secure as IOS and if you think you can make money from a succesfull Android app, forget it. In no time, your app is cracked and you loose. Nowadays, people want to be quick rich but don’t want to pay others for their hard work. It can sound hard, but it is the reality.

I believe Xojo has a great future, despite its small development team. Once 64bit is out of the beta stage and working as expected, in my opinion Xojo will be an excellent tool again. I am using it now since version RB 5.2 and never used anything else.

Android is kind of a necessary evil. Most corporate customers will routinely want to have both iOS and Android apps, so not being able to offer it means losing the client. Not cute. And it is not going to go away anytime soon, as it represents some 70% of mobile devices today, and I frankly don’t see anybody crazy enough to go after Google free OS.

Should Xojo divest a significant amount of time into having it is another story. Norman explained very well that since Android is completely different to anything Xojo has created so far, it would certainly not be trivial. Now I would rather see much improvements to the existing platforms than Android.

The fact that apps get pirated fast is unfortunately a fact of life today for all Desktop software as well as Android. I considered releasing one of my apps on Android, until I found an app that lifts all custom fonts on all apps installed on a device.

For all the annoying hoops one has to jump through with iOS, Apple has successfully so far prevented large scale piracy. Sure, there is a dark side with jailbroken devices, but it has remained so far confidential.