Xojo Spam?

You have received a new Private Message from Xojo Developer’s Spot

Message sent from: simulanics
Message subject: 40-50% off all Xojo Custom Controls and Classes
You can view the PM at:
http://www.xojodevspot.com/applications/pm/pm.php?show.2550

spam ???

No its not spam. Its real. Apparently when you signed up at the site, you also placed a check in the “Receive news” box. (Not checked by default)

[quote=120947:@John Scanlan]You have received a new Private Message from Xojo Developer’s Spot

Message sent from: simulanics
Message subject: 40-50% off all Xojo Custom Controls and Classes
You can view the PM at:
http://www.xojodevspot.com/applications/pm/pm.php?show.2550

spam ???[/quote]

Note this is NOT Xojo Inc sending it (despite the name)

XOJO DEV SPOT is Matt’s domain

A shout out to the other ethical add-on developers who don’t try to trade on name confusion. It’s not that hard to act with some class.

Was that a PM over this forum?

No, we got an advertising blast here.

https://forum.xojo.com/14801-40-50-off-custom-controls-classes

No. Sent as a PM on Matt’s site (and thus email). I did not appreciate it.

but that is just a regular posting which you can easily ignore!?

I received this email too though I never registered.

As a test I tried to do a password reset on Password Reset and my email address is unknown (“That username/email address was not found in database”).

[quote=120979:@Eli Ott]I received this email too though I never registered.

As a test I tried to do a password reset on Password Reset and my email address is unknown (“That username/email address was not found in database”).[/quote]
I assumed I registered long ago and forgot.

I don’t quite understand?
Did he send a PM to registered subscribers on his site? If so, I cannot see the problem - Isn’t that why people subscribe?

Or have I misunderstood?

I don’t see it like that. Names like Xojo Dev Spot, MacTechnologies, XojoNews, RBDeveloper, etc… tell me exactly what products / technology they are associated with and I appreciate that.

Flagged it as spam with gmail :slight_smile:

[quote=120984:@Richard Summers]I don’t quite understand?
Did he send a PM to registered subscribers on his site? If so, I cannot see the problem - Isn’t that why people subscribe?

Or have I misunderstood?[/quote]

Indeed. I Sent a “Private” message to those who “OPTED to RECEIVE NOTICES”. Guess you can’t please everyone. For those that never registered at the site, the server has been updated with the latest quantum technologies and harvested your email through the fabric of time and space from where you opted in another parallel universe.

Btw Richard I saw this and thought of you earlier from another post. Figured you’d get a chuckle :slight_smile:

I don’t see any issue with using a decriptor in a domain name. Especially if gramatically is being used as as an Adnoun. Adnouns do not take on representation of the noun themselves. If I saw news.com popup its not going to catch my interest. Now seeing Xojo news, I know it’s news about Xojo. I think Gavin is being respectible in using XojoNews.com, not unethical. Merv is right. Guess some people don’t really think about what they read (or say) (they just act [it is said that 90% of a normal persons actions are performed without thought…yikes, all pre-programmed])…But descriptors are standards in today’s market. Just like if color wasn’t defining the sign, I wouldn’t know whether to call the local pet store “Pet Smart” or “Pets Mart”… the characters are capitalized and all one word. Descriptors can be words, colors, sounds, or symbols.

**for anyone who doesn’t want to receive notices, please be adults and unsubscribe or say “hey matt, could you please remove me from XDS subscriptions? Im too busy to at the moment,” and I’ll say “sure! always here if you need me. Hope you have a great weekend upcoming.”

Society really is falling apart…

these notices have been sent almost monthly since 2011

Peddling software is OK. But doing it through email to get someone to get to a site to read mail is kind of rude. If you write to someone, you do it politely, not saying “hey, you got a PM at such and such”.

Bad business. Matt may be a good programer, he sucks as salesman.

http://www.amazon.com/E-Mail-Marketing-Dummies-Arnold/dp/0470947675/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408050876&sr=1-6&keywords=email+marketing

[quote=121002:@Matthew Combatti]**for anyone who doesn’t want to receive notices, please be adults and unsubscribe or say “hey matt, could you please remove me from XDS subscriptions? Im too busy to at the moment,” and I’ll say “sure! always here if you need me. Hope you have a great weekend upcoming.”

Society really is falling apart…[/quote]

When you want to get attention from a potential customer, the last thing you want to do is be aggressive. Or YOUR business will be falling apart.

As a general rule, all well behaved commercial mail has a link to unsubscribe. Painlessly.

[quote=121003:@Michel Bujardet]Peddling software is OK. But doing it through email to get someone to get to a site to read mail is kind of rude. If you write to someone, you do it politely, not saying “hey, you got a PM at such and such”.

Bad business. Matt may be a good programer, he sucks as salesman.

http://www.amazon.com/E-Mail-Marketing-Dummies-Arnold/dp/0470947675/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408050876&sr=1-6&keywords=email+marketing

[/quote]

PM is the only way through the site portal. The only other option it gives is to send a mass message including everyone’s email address. Im sure that would go unappreciated. What’s good for one, is bad for another. Concepts are amazing. …moreso the human mind.

Come on, Matt. Sending personalized email should be simple for a good programmer. Email marketing has rules, built upon years of relationship with customers. You are the one trying to sell your products. People make you the honor to be their guest into their email address. Don’t you think it deserves a minimum of respect ?

Mute :confused:

Matt, I asked permission to use their name. Twice, to be sure. Legalities aside, it’s good to be respectful of people you want to work with.