Xojo Documentation PDF

Is the documentation available as a PDF(s)? If not, why not?

I am frequently doing development work in a location off the grid so I use the offline documentation. I do not have a huge problem with it, but I think that I would find the PDF version useful now and then. There are times that I have problems with the Search function of the Xojo documentation and wish that I could be searching a PDF.

I also find reading a PDF to be easier, for example on an iPad.

4 Likes

Did you try looking for: language reference for xojo in the App Store ?
Version 1.4 is updated to XOJO 2021r2

1 Like

App Store, AFAIK, does nor display alpha list.

I looked @ everything (imho) and do ,not found it.

Can you share a link (or the Name and Icon), if this is still thereā€¦

Remember Xojo is in 2023r4 betaā€¦ as far as I can see in the bug list.

17 minutes later, I stoped the quest.

@Emile_Schwarz : it is in the app store for ipad.

but ā€¦

Capture dā€™eĢcran 2023-12-01 aĢ€ 12.00.32 - Moyenne

2 Likes

So, I could not found it.

I only wanted to watch by myself how the disaster isā€¦

For all readers: prefer the build-in documentation (set OffLine for the documentation in the IDE Preferences) as Robert already told about.

Thanks you all for the various suggestions. Interesting to learn about the iPad App Store version if only to point out that it is out of date and cannot be searched.

Primarily, I understand that the PDF resource is unavailable from Xojo.

I have gone ahead and created a PDF from the current version of the documentation. It is a bit of a painful process and now I have to figure out how to break it up into reasonable chunks. In doing this, I did learn just how ā€œrichā€ the documentation taken as a whole is. Dives into parts of the documentation (like the Raspberry PI stuff) that I had never been in.

It would be nice that @Jeremie_L could shared the code of both iPad and iPhone Apps in Git, and all the community, and particularly XOJO Inc. (@Geoff_Perlman and team), could give some help in order to update both Apps.

I understand that, as the documentation is online, may be having it in an App or in a PDF document, could be redundant. But for many of us, having the chance to carry it in our iPhone or iPad it is a nice thing.

I want to know if there is a documentation for XOJO 2019r1.1 as that was the last Web1 version befor XOJO decide to move to Web2, and same for API 1.0 and API 2.0

IMPOBI other words, when canghes are so important, the last version before moving to a dramatical new one, must be keept and be preservered.

@Robert_Livingston : if you could shared the PDF document I understand you had created. that would be also a nice thing.

You can choose in Xojo to download an offline version of the docs. Then they will be available within the application, even if you donā€™t have an internet connection.

The search feature is built in. Drag the list downwards to display the searchbar, same UX as most iOS apps.

Iā€™ll have to check if the project contains any code that canā€™t be shared.

I did not download the app. I just read the bad note ā€¦

@Robert_Livingston : if you could shared the PDF document I understand you had created. that would be also a nice thing.

From the documentation:

No part of the Xojo Documentation or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the publisher.

I am not clear why Xojo would have such a policy in that I would think that they would want their documentation to be freely available (as it is on the web), but this tends to stay my hand. I would share it if Xojo permitted that.

Ultimately the entire documentation is ~1750 web pages which translate to ~15,000 letter sized PDF pages. I broke the documentation into several different PDFā€™s. The largest is Deprecations (~6000 pages), UserInterface (~2000), Language(~750).

Could we possibly get it as a PDF so we can work with some LLMs?

Xojo Inc. How about a comment here?

1 Like

@Robert_Livingston, I understand that if Jeremie had made the iOS App based in the same documentation/source and XOJO did not say anything against that, there would be no problemā€¦ but I supposed that @Geoff_Perlman could confirm if you have the permision.

Just for the sake of accuracy, I am revising the above figures because Deprecations included duplicated pages:

ā€¦ translate to ~12,000 letter sized PDF pages. I broke the documentation into several different PDFā€™s. The largest is Deprecations (~3000 pages), UserInterface (~2000), Language(~750)

The IDE has an option in settings to download documentation for offline use. At least in the Linux IDE it does I should say.

What you would not say is the file format.

AI does not care how many pages. It would be very interesting to run it thru some LLM, even ChatGPT.

2 Likes

it seems to me (I donā€™t have the paid chatGPT access) that chatGPT accepts not only pdf files, but also any text file, so the xojo doc in html should be ok ?

So AI is not intelligent enough to understand html ?

So sadā€¦ so sadā€¦

And isnā€™t there some other people working on AI for Xojo ?