Xojo certification

I was having a thought (I know beginners luck :smile: ) and I wonder what people would think about Xojo creating a certification for Xojo… so you can say, if looking for a job “I’m certified with the software development IDE Xojo.”

I think it would be great, what does anyone else think?

Regards

2 Likes

What is Xojo ?

(this is the answer I get when I talked with people about experiences in job seeking)…

6 Likes

software development is rich in variety.
i think same as emile.
companies have requirements and want solutions, fast, cheap and solid.
they don’t understand what is c# java or web frameworks.
and for a development team you need something from main stream.
however that may be i like the idea of having a printed xojo certificate on my wall.

Also: taking a job where you are not at ease is a very bad idea.

Long ago, I do not wanted to argument with my boss and followed his orders “Use PageMaker to do that job”… ( prefered to use QuardXPress). It only took me a bit more of my time to achieve the goal at the target date.

But I never do that again.

Back to the submitted idea: good idea, but when Xojo will have say 20% of market share, that Cert will have some value. Until then…

PS: I even uploaded significative examples of serious applications I created (not related to my hobbies): no potential employer ever download one to watch it.

3 Likes

From my experience as a former “boss” in large organisations benefits of certifications are largely overestimated and often “useless” (but they don’t cause any harm).

Most often bosses are only using them as they might need a certain percentage of their people to be certified, as the supplier of a software or hardware solution is asking for this (rationale: we can only offer you better prices, if your people are at least a little bit knowledgable - or you only access special documentation and third level support, if your people passed our tests) or because the marketing or finance department is asking for those: “we should really become a partner of company XY” and for such partnerships, certifications are a prerequisite these days.

However, I have seen people officially being certified for stuff they barely did know anything about. But hey, I’m still a certified accelerated SAP developer and a certified SAP performance expert. I like those lifetime certifications I was forced to pass over 20 years ago :-).

But I’m all in for a certification as a “Senior MBS Plugin documentation reading master”, though I’m already a bit afraid of the exam :wink: .

I think I will just update my photoshop cert and print whatever I think I might need.

10 Likes

No offense but, ROFL. Have you looked for jobs where they ask for xojo?

Unfortunately, despite having had a great opportunity within the multiplatform tools, the direction that has been given to Xojo has led it to be completely irrelevant when looking for a job.

1 Like

There‘s an old rule: Pick two of them, you can‘t have all three.

4 Likes

I would welcome if a company doing certifications would offer one for Xojo.
This is one step forward to make Xojo taken more serious.

When I talk to companies, they often ask what is available for Xojo, like training, books, magazines and there is not a lot available.

2 Likes

That would need to be Xojo itself. Like Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, CISCO, VmWare are doing it. Xojo might use third parties for the doing, but it would be a significant amount of work for the small team. And seriously I don’t see a single benefit. Perhaps here in Germany, as we think certifications have any added value, but only very few have. The DSGVO (GDPR) certifications in Germany are one proof of my theory. But as a company selling those cerfications it is really a cash cow and an easy business, with little to no regulation.

Not necessarily. Branbench offers tons of certifications. When new grads (not college) ask me what to do to help their job prospects, I send them there as a starting point. They offer free certs from time-to-time, and these look better than nothing. (Source: Former IT Manager for a large company)

1 Like

As I said, a cash cow. Produce once, sell many times: Brainbench - The Measure of Achievement

But that would mean that things are not changing too much, but they do in Xojo (and hopefully will continue to do so). I agree of course that everything which makes Xojo more popular (or at least better known) would be helpful. I think the biggest challenge Xojo is facing here, is that many devs are developing in-house, or are “in-house” hobby developers or one-person-shops, so not necessarily the target group asking for certifications. I’m afraid that those businesses which might ask a freelancer for his certification, are those telling the same freelancer that he has to use tool xy, as it is their standard. At least that’s my experience. A bit of a chicken-egg issue here.

1 Like

I put the Xojo logo with a link to Xojo web site in the About window of all my software. And I indicate it in the version log too. I don’t use many software made with Xojo (ffWorks and other, I know it because I opened the package) but none of them indicate the are made with Xojo.
How many persons here indicate in their softwares are developed with Xojo?

1 Like

At the bottom of my product pages I list that the product was made with Xojo https://ohanaware.com/appwrapper I also include a little text in the About Box too.

1 Like

I think that 2 decades ago it was easier to “sell” Xojo’s product. For instance I found RB by searching for a dev tool on macOS, there weren’t many alternatives at that time. I had used Macs since the early Nineties but have stopped at the end of that decade until 2001/2002, I can’t remember.

At that time Apple had only “ProjectBuilder”, Xcode came out quite soon, but it looked already then like a beast to me (which is BTW wrong, it’s complex but nice). But the possibility for cross-platform development was just so cool that I was all-in for RB. And I think RB was the second item on my search. Perhaps Java in front of it, but I hated Java already at that time.

I guess (but not sure) that today’s generation is either starting with web development or mobile development. That’s at least what I would probably do if young again and then chances are high that people will just use the obvious (what friends and newspapers recommend).

I believe the biggest benefit most of us have is that we have tons of code snippets in Xojo. Of course, you can translate that to anything else, but that’s the beauty with Xojo. Customers asking for a Windows app, a web app, iOS, a Mac App, Linux? Though you have to tweak things here and there, generally speaking, you can adapt the code extremely fast. And in a business context, customers are usually more focused on the functionality than the look of your app. So even with controls looking a bit outdated on Windows, this is not a big concern. However, that’s different when developing on Windows for the masses (and Windows is still a big market).

Watch this recent recommendation for instance:

It’s in German, but you’ll get the idea, Xojo is missing, as on so many of these recommendation lists. I added a comment, but it was waiting for approval (as always) and then got deleted. Why? Probably because someone thought its spam and did not even click to validate the link, or Xojo and Flexihub are not friends, I don’t know. But there are more neutral lists on the net too, but adding Xojo usually ends up as such that your comment is deleted :frowning: .

1 Like

I agree, the situation was entirely different 20 years ago - I had two extremely successful REALbasic applications at that time - applications for connecting Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones to the Mac (phonebook, SMS, gallery, calendar management).

2 Likes

What i often hear when i have a job interview is, you could have used photoshop.
When i show my linux level1 or comptia a+ or other it certification they always tell me that.
It is the first thing in the netherlands they say to me, you’ve done it with photoshop.

My idear is, each succesfull project is my certification.
If one project is not succesfull i have failled my certification.

In the netherlands there are no xojo jobs.
I haven’t seen one since i started with programming in 2008.
So, i guess there is no real need for a xojo certification in the netherlands.

What i think we should do is, make xojo more known in programming country.
If more people and companies know xojo, perhaps there will be a change that benefits
all of us.

For CompTIA you can log into your account and make certs available for verification and that will give you a link so that people can visit CompTIA and validate you.

Xojo, as REALbasic 1.0, is here since 1998. Nearly 23 years / a quarter of a Century.

I bought and used “GSM Remote” developed by Alexander TRAUD. I don’t remember of other software like it. What was you software?

Actually they celebrate the 25th aniversary this month but the time doesnt matter, who is going to want a certification for something that has no relevance?

As Christian said, there is no training material. And worst, the few books, magazines books, videos out there, Xojo decided to make a masive renaming in the languaje and the framework, rendering the material almost useless.

The only serious training attempt I waw was by BKeeney software, but even they grew sick of the constant changes and years ago they removed all their material.

The only attempt I saw for a serous training was by BKeeney software

5 Likes