XDC2015 Open Conversation - Day 1

Community is helping to fill in the gaps in iOS, letting Xojo focus on the stuff that they need to do. You can get information here:

http://developer.xojo.com/community

Geoff is now talking about what’s coming up. Started with Web Apps, and introducing drag and drop. About to demo this.

(Technical difficulties, please stand by…)

You will be able to drag elements of a Web app around, similar to how you’d do it on a desktop app. Touch-enabled for mobile devices.

This is a nice development.

64-bit…

Updating all the frameworks to 64-bit. They have to review 300K lines of source code, move the compiler over to LLVM, and switch Linux/Windows to native linkers. Short version: It’s a lot of work.

They’ve got 64-bit versions of Feedback running on Mac and Windows, so they are pretty far along.

Does this also means more paying Xojo users?

Meaning we are not seeing 64bit for OSX this year?

Forum went down for me, so here’s what happened while I was waiting:

• They are aware of the problems with the IDE, and are working on it. Nothing to announce yet, but it sounds like it’s getting a revamping, perhaps moving closer to what Real Studio was. (That last part is my speculation.)
  • They are working on supporting a new platform: Raspberry Pi! (Big applause for that.)

Plugins:

• Changing the format. (Will be able to write plugins in Xojo.)
  • Can be local.
  • Can include resources.
  • Will compile to LLVM bit code.
  • Can be global or local to a project.

Platforms:

• iOS
  • 64-bit desktop
  • Raspberry Pi

The new format is how you will introduce plugins for iOS.

Absolutely awesome news, Xojo comes to the Internet of Things (and a whole new market). Great decision.

Expecting this later this year/early next year, but before next XDC.

You’ll need Xojo Pro to create plugins with Xojo, but anyone can use them.

Geoff is showing a list of new features that they expect to add to iOS, like container controls, access to the accelerometer, etc. Things that the community can’t easily implement.

To emphasize something Kem left out: existing C/C++ plugins will continue to be supported long term on existing platforms and 64-bit desktop/console/web platforms. There will be several more C/C++ SDK releases where missing functionality gets filled in.

Retina…

The new framework will be Retina-aware and will handle the images for you. The IDE? Not until after they’ve delivered the ability for us to build Retina apps in Q4. Windows users will have to wait longer.

Not the new framework: the existing OS X desktop framework and the existing web framework will be getting retina support.

Attendees will be getting special goodies. Not sure I can talk about the details here… (sorry)