Windows 10 Tech Preview & Xojo - Virtual desktops problem

Hi everyone,

I just installed Windows 10 Technical Preview & Xojo.
I hoped the new “Virtual Desktops” will work with Xojo, but the Xojo windows stays on EVERY virtual desktop…

Anyone else saw this?

BTW, I didn’t find ANY virtual desktop utility that worked correctly with Xojo - not on window 7 and not on windows 8.
The Xojo window always appear in EVERY virtual window.

Oh well, lets hope Xojo will fix it when Windows 10 will come out.

Oren.

[quote=132918:@Oren Shapir]I just installed Windows 10 Technical Preview & Xojo.
I hoped the new “Virtual Desktops” will work with Xojo, but the Xojo windows stays on EVERY virtual desktop…

Anyone else saw this?

BTW, I didn’t find ANY virtual desktop utility that worked correctly with Xojo - not on window 7 and not on windows 8.

Oh well, lets hope Xojo will fix it when Windows 10 will come out.[/quote]

I will not be able to run the Windows 10 technical preview before next week, so I cannot confirm.

The only way this can be fixed by Xojo is to file a bug report in Feedback with as much details as you can, including screen captures of what you see.

I am not a windows guy (anymore)… but did I miss Win 9 completely???

They skipped it :wink:

Not joking … http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-jumps-to-windows-10/

Windows 10: Why Microsoft skipped Windows 9

Perhaps they want to get on the “X” bandwagon :slight_smile: OS X , Win X

They do not seem to be so much X so far…

[quote=132918:@Oren Shapir]Hi everyone,

I just installed Windows 10 Technical Preview & Xojo.

Anyone else saw this?

Oh well, lets hope Xojo will fix it when Windows 10 will come out.

Oren.[/quote]
Come on guys. The first Technical Preview was released today right? It’s a preview. It might not be our bug. Today’s the first day that we could have seen it too. Chill.

Edit: Microsoft says it won’t be released until Fall 2015.

We have a year :slight_smile:

The OP title is somewhat misleadingly limited to W10. Apparently, the Xojo window appearing in every virtual desktop is not limited to the freshly out of the lab Windows 10, but manifests also with 7 and 8. Seems worth learning more.

[quote=132918:@Oren Shapir]BTW, I didn’t find ANY virtual desktop utility that worked correctly with Xojo - not on window 7 and not on windows 8.
The Xojo window always appear in EVERY virtual window.[/quote]

Which utilities exactly ? Built in ? Third party ? Which ones ? Could post links ? Thanks.

[quote=132933:@Greg O’Lone]Come on guys. The first Technical Preview was released today right? It’s a preview. It might not be our bug. Today’s the first day that we could have seen it too. Chill.

Edit: Microsoft says it won’t be released until Fall 2015.[/quote]

Because not reporting compatibility issues is a good thing, right?

This at least gives Xojo the heads up.

[quote=133046:@Shane Gibbs]Because not reporting compatibility issues is a good thing, right?

This at least gives Xojo the heads up.[/quote]

Bug reports are the best way to report compatibility problems. Forum posts aren’t looked at when we do release planning.

OK. I was able to install Windows 10 and tried to reproduce the issue :

• Create a desktop app in Xojo
  • Run in the IDE : shows a window
  • Create a new desktop
    The Xojo window shows only in the original desktop. Everything is OK. I have no idea what the OP is seeing, I do not see it.

So using the same logic as Xojo, that gives them until Dec 31 :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=133064:@Michel Bujardet]OK. I was able to install Windows 10 and tried to reproduce the issue :

• Create a desktop app in Xojo
  • Run in the IDE : shows a window
  • Create a new desktop
    The Xojo window shows only in the original desktop. Everything is OK. I have no idea what the OP is seeing, I do not see it.[/quote]

Try creating a bunch of new desktops, run a Xojo built app and then switch desktops… (I can’t test otherwise I would)

“Fall” 2015 starts September 23
“Winter” starts December 22
Now if they were smart and said quarters instead …

I think they would have been better saying quarters as well :wink:

I’m guessing that this might not necessarily be a Xojo issue, the Windows Window Manager should be handling this and if it’s not, then there’s either a good reason or it’s broken. In OS X, by default almost all windows are automatically handled, you have to do something special in order to get a document window to not adhere to the virtual desktop.

Well, they did try to kill of windowing apps on an OS call “Windows” so you can excuse them for getting multiple desktops not quite right the first go around…

Nothing wrong. I created a dozen of virtual desktops and launched a Xojo app in the first one. No sign of any Xojo window in any of the other virtual desktops. On the contrary, when I try to launch a new instance of Xojo in another VD it flashes the tray icon and clicking on it takes me back to the VD where it was launched.

Since the OP does not give any explanations about the phenomenon, nor about what he sues under Windows 8 and 7, the only conclusion is that the post was frivolous.