Windows 10 (23 July 2015 ? )

Within a few months new pc’s with Windows 10 installed will appear.
A while ago I played with the preview which came with Parallels 10, and that did not make me happy.
Does anybody have information about current status and experiences with our 32-bit Xojo applications ?

Xojo apps work fine under Windows 10

I am not a big fan of Windows (I kinda hate it) but Windows 10 is about the best version ever created imo
Everything is much faster (booting is incredible fast compared to Windows 8.1) and everything feels faster too.

And now … back to OS X.

Could you expand a bit on what did not make you happy? My own experience with later builds has been quite positive. My small scale tests were successful. Win 10 VM on Hyper-V 2012R2.

[quote=190568:@Joost Rongen]Within a few months new pc’s with Windows 10 installed will appear.
A while ago I played with the preview which came with Parallels 10, and that did not make me happy.
Does anybody have information about current status and experiences with our 32-bit Xojo applications ?[/quote]

I have been developing in Windows 10 Tech Preview for about three months and have spotted no incompatibility or any issue with built apps. What are you referring to ?

Personally, I like much better the frameless windows, a bit like OS X, and am looking forward to being able to place Xojo made apps in the Windows Store. It is about time Windows gets its stuff together.

It’s the customer who’s paying you, who’s language you speak. Most of mine have Windows 7.

It was actually the version witch was provide by Parallels for Mac version 10. No internet browser, sometimes like frozen, hard to get connected to a networkdrive, things like that.
And of course I should have downloaded the latest ISO now to do serious testing, but I was too lazy and decided to ask our community instead.
Happy to read the overall experiences are positive.

MS knows that they cannot come with a version like Windows 8.

As they knew after Windows Millenium, Windows Vista and … :wink:

Win8 - what a dog. Woof woof.

The user interface introduced with Win 8 was a complete disaster, at least for desktop use. My wife loves the interface on her Surface Pro 2 tablet. It is quite unfortunate that the UI was so unusable on a desktop (or laptop), because the underlying OS is actually quite capable. I have computers running 8 or 8.1 very happily. Now, in order to make the UI acceptable, I installed on each one a free utility called Classic Shell. The result is Win 8.x OS with a Win 7 look and feel. This is a very usable mix.

in short:
Win 8.x UI: wouf wouf.
Win 8.x underlying OS: OK.

True. But Windows users aren’t very willing to pay for software.
One of my apps is available for both Windows and OS X.
For the OS X version I have daily between 5 and 10 sales a day. For Windows about 5 a week (If I am lucky).

Anyhow, Win8.1 is not ‘that’ bad compared to Windows 7 (thats me looking from an OS X users perspective).
Win10 is again a step upwards to a decent looking (and working) OS imo.

Our application works fine under Windows 10, tried it on the last several tech previews, not problems reported. Other than those ugly folder icons in File Explorer, Windows 10 is much better than Windows 8/8.1. I love Windows 7 (no frills just works and doesn’t get in the way), but Windows 10 is a winner IMO.

[quote=190591:@Joost Rongen]It was actually the version witch was provide by Parallels for Mac version 10. No internet browser, sometimes like frozen, hard to get connected to a networkdrive, things like that.
And of course I should have downloaded the latest ISO now to do serious testing, but I was too lazy and decided to ask our community instead.
Happy to read the overall experiences are positive.[/quote]

I don’t know why the heck Parallel dared placing a beta on its product. That should never be done.
Go here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso and download Windows 10 Tech preview.

It started at 10046 and is now something like 10112. It actually has two browsers, Internet Explorer and Edge (aka Project Spartan) which is very nice IMHO.

10112 is really nice, but not quite a RC yet. There are still a few rough spots.

The start menu is a hybrid menu/tiles. I played with it and removed the tiles that I found obtrusive or irrelevant to my usage. It is easy to do (some willlike the music player tile, etc. I don’t care much about that on my workstation). The menu is different than that of Win 7, took me a short while to understand. But once I figured the new arrangement of things, it is very usable. Classic Shell was a mandatory install on my Win 8.x units but I don’t expect to use it with win 10. The next builds should confirm that.

Edge is a nice browser, not backward compatible with older versions of IE. Microsoft is making sure that Edge does not carry all the cr*p accumulated over the years in IE. IE11 is included as an alternative where backward compatibility is required. Edge is the default browser in the base configuration of Win 10. Edge is said to be the most standards compliant browser ever from MS. Definitely a large step in the right direction.

Actually, I see that I am at 10122. Largely improved, but it now takes forever to boot. That’s the fun of betas. I am sure in the sumer it will be fine.

I heard today on Tech New Today that the full screen start screen is gone for good on desktop and laptops. The little full screen icon is gone from the Start menu.

For Windows 8 defense, I should admit that after dishing it so many times, I came to respect it on a tablet. It is really a very nice job they did for the touch interface. Windows 10 on a tablet should be just as nice.

Win 8.1 is OK. Win 8 made Vista look inviting.

On a tablet, it is already quite OK. Windows 8.1 is even better.

As for Vista, how could I know ? I jumped from XP to Windows 7.

and in doing this, you made it right Michel. To me Vista was/is a complete ignored system and the final itch made me switch to Mac and iPhone and Realbasic (coming from XP, PocketPC Phone and VB) in 2007

The most amusing is that Vista was supposed to be a Mac OS killer :wink:

My workhorse PC was delivered with Vista, which frankly didn’t seem too bad, but I upgraded to Win 7 as soon as I could and have stayed with it. I’ll need to buy new workhorse soon in my never-ending craving for more speed, more power. I’m not sure whether to buy it now with Win 8.1 and then upgrade to 10, after waiting a few months after release in case there are any problems, or wait a few months anyway and buy it with 10 already installed. The very few BSODs I’ve had with Vista and 7 were my own fault, not that of Windows.

I haven’t tried the beta releases of 10, partly because I don’t want to put my PC at risk when I depend on it for my living and partly because I don’t have time anyway.