Will AI kill the forum?

Just wondering if with all the available information on AI what is the faith of the forum?

The Forum is great for telling me about things that I would never have thought to ask AI.

Once we reach true AI, yes.
In the meanwhile, we need to feed the LLM’s… :smiley:

The forum has lost a lot of traffic in the last years independent of AI. Users still have issues and need someone to talk to.

@Sascha S: AGI is a dream like the self driving car which will come next year since 2016.

There are a few meanings of the word ā€œkillā€ and one that isn’t talked about enough is the effect that AI traffic has on forum software. There are many forums that are moving all the content behind a registration-wall because AI tools scrape them all day, every day, and the burden of the increased traffic is too great on their infrastructure or bandwidth.

For a forum like Xojo’s I don’t think that makes sense, as I would imagine Xojo Inc wants AI to be able to scrape the forum for answers; anything that makes the language more accessible is an asset to selling licenses.

But AI will never truly be able to replace the forum completely as new features and changes in the language are not included in the training data, which is only refreshed every couple of years. Also one of the things I love about this forum is that it does delve into the human experience of using Xojo and beyond; something that AI can echo from other users but not experientially relay.

Old school. Youngsters do not use forums at all. And I can’t blame them.

I mostly come here as a habit. :slight_smile: But use AI to seek help (it’s faster and much more helpful).

Oh that’s totally fine if you just need an answer to a question! But part of the reason many of us are here is to connect with other Xojo users. There are nice folks here.

AI does its best to simulate human connection, but at least the current ones feel so patronizing when they try.

And I’m not worried about AGI. I also don’t think we’ll see it in our lifetime. But I do think we’re foolish enough to give these wannabe AIs more control than they ought to have.

Ever heard of WAYMO? And they are by far not the only ones… :wink:

Not to get off topic but I’ve both ridden in a Waymo and driven my own car through a Los Angeles neighborhood surrounded by them on the road and it’s… eerie. We have the food delivery robots hogging all our sidewalks too.

That’s why I still have the habit to quick look here. :slightly_smiling_face:

2026 Google AI said

Well… Maybe not in Germany yet. But Waymo runs in California e Cybercab started operations in Texas.

And let’s not even get started on Shenzhen, for example. :smiley:

That is defenitelly true.

So AI is telling us it won’t kill the forum, how considerate! ha ha

For the past few weeks, I’ve been really frustrated with Google’s AI because it has repeatedly lied to me throughout a conversation—making false claims and leading me in completely the wrong direction. Unfortunately, you really have to know the truth yourself.
But I guess that’s how it goes: garbage data in, garbage output out.

Tesla FSD is not unsupervised so you have to pay attention or it will disable. But it is really good. It drove me to Houston and back (1.5 hrs) and I did not intervene once. On the way back, it even pulled into buc-ee’s and backed me up into a charging spot. It’s really amazing. I’ve used it for 3 years and at first it would do some dumb stuff. As of now, it is actually a completely different experience and works well.

FSD works incredibly well now with Hardware 4. It drives me everywhere with only rare interventions. The progress has been amazing.

I got that too that mocking bird ! :frowning:

Nightmare. Im genuinely despondent about the progress and abuse of AI

In some ways (maudlin alert) , I am probably lucky that I may be gone before the poo hits the windmill.

it has repeatedly lied to me throughout a conversation

Me too. And since web pages are generated from this tripe, AI trains itself on it’s own bollocks.

And I hate being forced to use it invisibly. I try to navigate using my in car sat nav, Gemini jumps in and does some kind of fuzzy search and recommends the wrong place.

Online: I search for ā€˜when did KFC stop selling biscuits in the UK?’

Im confidently told KFC never sold biscuits here.

So I replied - honestly - that must be wrong because I have bought them, ate them, and enjoyed them.

ā€˜Oh yes, sorry, right to call me out on it, yes they did’

I mean whats the POINT of this stuff if it is so wrong?