Will AI kill the forum?

Well, when talking about biscuits , I think about a sweat cookie, while you may think more of a bread roll.

I don’t know whether the AI knows the difference.

So if the AI gets biscuit as a different word for cookie, it may say that KFC doesn’t have cookies.

if the AI gets biscuit as a different word for cookie

It knew. Biscuits are sweet in England too. KFC biscuits (they didn’t rename them for us Brits) were savoury scones, and great in gravy. Maybe because they didn’t rename them, they elected to stop selling them after a while.

Keep in mind, it goes both ways though.

Rare interventions? Could you please expand on what that means, I have never had the chance to use one

Sometimes …

Gemini was relutant this morning (minutes ago) doing what I ask…

I asked it to color a drawing and it adds hair to a man without, use dar colors when I want vivid colors, change the position of a man, two men, etc.

This time, less than 5 minutrd later I stopped.

“Sometimes I thing it only want to talk with someone” (following the tone of the conversation and the wrong answers in serie…).

Or — it want us to pay to give good results ?

Not the way to do Gemini If you cannot do a good work on a free test, I cannot imagine to get good work on a paying time !

It occasionally exhibits poor judgement that could lead to awkwardness, like trying to pass in a lane that will end soon, or thinking that it’s OK to turn right at a red light when it’s prohibited at that location. This is more likely to happen if you have it set to “hurry” mode rather than “standard” or “chill”. I’ve never had it do something that might have resulted in an accident.

Thank you for your responce. That sounds scary!

This may not be totally what this post is about, but just another thought re AI.

I am one of those many hobbyists that, even tho I made zero money from any apps I wrote, was for some reason discarded as a customer by the owners of XOJO. I hastily bought a couple years membership whilst available to “see me out”.

I really did like the forums too, every time I had a coding issue, you guys always helped out and it was great.

Anyway, my son recently introduced me to Cursor and with a yearly subscription I can now “write” apps in Xcode for Macs, iPads & iPhones. Yes, it doesn’t involve me actually writing code, which is what I’d like to do, but still gives me the chance to design, refine, debug apps that I still only create for my use, not commercial and, in a couple of years, I won’t do that in XOJO anyway.

So, as I said, maybe a little off the direct topic here, but pointing out that there are easier ways now to create apps and for those of you who do it for a living, it’ll be interesting how many will eventually move in that direction in the future. That will then affect the Forums too, if people move away from XOJO. Maybe then they’ll wish they’d kept the hobbyists.

Just my 5c worth.

So you are you are transitioning to VB for furture use ?

AI is something wonderful: the idiots will be able to make smart decisions!

Those who use AI are only consumers.

Those who use the forum consume but (and above all) also feed

Don’t forget that AI is neither intelligent nor artificial.

They only use (intelligent) software that “pumps” data onto the web and

for what concerns us in the XOJO forum.

Let’s do a little propective:

- there will be more and more AI consumers

- there will be fewer and fewer people on the XOJO forum

but if there are fewer and fewer people on the forum, who will power the AI?

I believe AI is not the killer of the forums.
New generations will always change things up. Just like the Realbasic NUG. Users Faught hard to keep them alive but it was a dying way to communicate and of course Xojo had to maintain them so to the graveyard they went.

In time as much as some will hate it the forum way will fade to whatever is new and shiny and in time when next to nobody posts or responds on the forums it will also in time fade(unless Xojo decides otherwise)

If anyone states otherwise that the forums will never die then please respond on the NUG and we can discuss :wink:

Some fans. And you know how fans are (they want to do things, results are below their exoectatives but they want to feed…)

And remember, the Boss like changes…

Well as long as we’re bringing up other communications mediums, the thing that has killed more forums than anything else has been Discord.

Discord has its uses but it is terrible as a repository for ideas and answers over long periods of time. Not to mention it lives on infrastructure that a third-party controls and can remove at any time.

Discord really is the next generation of online communities. I don’t say this as a fan, though. As Christian said, it’s all controlled by a third party, but it’s also a deep web tool. As in search engines can’t reach it. And Discord’s searching leaves much to be desired.

Yes, Discord has forum channels. Nobody uses them. It has threads too. Nobody uses them either. It’s a live chat platform that people want to be everything. I get requests to host an FAQ on my Discord server. No. It’s a chat app. The FAQ is on the website, and is linked to in the appropriate places. Chat is not the right solution for an FAQ.

That said, Discord is a HUGE ecosystem. Anybody sleeping on it is really missing out on the younger generations. I don’t even mean kids. I mean young millennials who are around 30 now.

There is at least one Xojo Discord group, but without official support from the company, it’ll never really grow. And honestly, I don’t think it would make a ton of sense for Xojo to do so. Not now. There is writing on the wall that Discord’s dominance will be ending within a few years. They keep making decisions that drive people away, and eventually, somebody will come along with a better replacement. And the cycle will repeat.

I may not love Discord, but I’ll end with this. I make the bulk of my living from my Beacon app, and I don’t advertise. At all. It’s all word of mouth, and that’s almost entirely over Discord.

if AI will kill the forum than because new software development tools will appear made for AI.
could be without source code and more modular design / visual design.
the app requirements often repeat and in the abstract its not much.