Why is XOJO so slow?

So once again I apologize for my ignorance but I’m trying to consolidate my controls into a containerControl but now I have 279 errors stating “this item does not exist”. I have certain controls which are not in a containerControl which need to interact with controls that are in a ContainerControl. Is there not a way to do this?

Before you had to say

control.dosomething

Now you have to say

containercontrol.control.dosomething

[quote=467719:@Beatrix Willius]Before you had to say

control.dosomething

Now you have to say

containercontrol.control.dosomething

I must be missing something because it didn’t work. I have a listbox on my main window (not in a ContainerControl). When the user clicks on one of the rows, I need to be able to change the parameters of some of the controls that are in one of my ContainerControls, ie, they click a row, and the text from one of the cells appears in a textbox located in my ContainerControl.

Are the controls on the container private or public? They need to be public.

They’re public.

I’ve seen incredible slowdowns in the Xojo IDE related to the logging pane with multiple tabs open. Clearing the log, closing the log pane, and closing tabs helped, but sometimes I had to restart the IDE.

Does your app have a lot of logging? Does the IDE slowdown happen after a fresh launch, before you’ve run your app in the debugger or only during/after a debug run?

I reported this issue and it’s listed as Verified: <https://xojo.com/issue/55558>

I have exactly the same problem. MBP Retina 2012 i7, 16GB, SSD. Everything was running smooth in 2019r1.1, 2019r2 & 2019r3 are very, very slow, only in Dark Mode though. I have the impression 2019r3 performs little better than 2019r2 in the code editor while scrolling…

Done, but I do not understand anything. :frowning:

lol. Exactly.

There is quite a number of helpful suggestions here to help with @Troy Baxter 's slow IDE issues. It’s a testament to the great people of this forum.

Of course some people, like myself, have mentioned they don’t have any problems with performance.

Sure, the Xojo IDE is not necessarily as responsive as using a raw text editor, but it’s still comparable to me to IDE’s that have graphical controls and some sophistication. I use those IDE’s at my day job.

I have 3 Macs, none newer than 2015 (although I have a new Mac Mini coming for the holidays :-). All of them Bootcamp to Windows 10 and in none of these setups do I experience the slowness mentioned by many here.

Sure, my projects may not be as big and complicated as many of you, but they are not trivial in size either.

Anyway, my point is Troy - maybe try a clean wipe and fresh install of your OS and then carefully install again the software you need (and question/research whether you really need something or how it may affect the performance of your machine [like does it have a background process, etc.], before you install it).

Mine might sound like an extreme suggestion, but really, as a developer I care and maintain my machines very carefully because I consider my computers the tools I use to make a living. Any professional who uses tools would do no less than keep their equipment in their best operating condition, which typically requires putting in time outside of work hours to do so.

Not that many years ago, I used to reinstall my OS and dev tools every six months whether I needed to or not (then I just got better at keeping crap off my machines). I also don’t install games on my machines or visit suspect websites. I’ve also gone without anti-virus for years because I try to be that careful. For the built-in safety features that come with Windows 10, I also exclude scanning of my IDE and project folders. On Mac, I turn of Siri and Transparency, set Time Machine to manual (and only run it when I’m away from my desk for awhile) and I only put files in cloud folders for storage purposes.

All the best Troy, good luck.

you have to do an example app if you never used container controls before otherwise you are running in too many problems as you have seen.
I told you that would be a big job if you use container controls for the first time on the current app.

does xojo have a fallback to software rendering?
the ide use dx or opengl? which version?

[quote=467840:@Johann Kienbrandt]you have to do an example app if you never used container controls before otherwise you are running in too many problems as you have seen.
I told you that would be a big job if you use container controls for the first time on the current app.[/quote]

I’m trying! But I can’t figure out how to get controls which are not in a ContainerControl to ‘talk’ to controls which ARE in a ContainerControl.

Show us your project or your code. What do the error messages say? Have you tried a simple example?

https://forum.xojo.com/56291-substantial-decrease-in-ide-performance-2019r2-vs-2019r1-1

I have found Xojo speed to be adequate until 2019r2, everything past that has been slow. Dark mode seems to be a significant contributor.

No I haven’t tried a simply example yet. Unfortunately I won’t be able to for a little while now.

The error message I get is “this item does not exist”. I have a listbox that is placed directly on the window (not in a ContainerControl) and when the users clicks a row in this list box, I need some of the data to be send to a textbox that IS in a ContainerControl. The specific textbox I’m referring to is named txtFlightNumber and when I try to pass data (a string) from the listbox to txtFlightNumber.text I get the error message “txtFlightNumber.text does not exist”. As I mentioned earlier txtFlightNumber is set to public and it exists on a ContainerControl.

I want to add to Scott Cadilla’s suggestion, that creating the main directory, where you place all your setup files on a structured basis, can help quickly installing a new system every six months.

My structure is this :

<>
Inside this directory I have a kind of template directory :
<<0_Template>>
Inside that template directory, there are 3 sub-directories on the same level :
<> << Resources>> <>
Each time I install a new application I copy the <<0_Template>> directory and rename it.

But on this method, there is a disadvantage because the setup and installed files are in the same directory. It is better to install outside that <> directory so when the installation is finished, you just duplicate the Setup file structure to another disk. In that way next time you reinstall you just copy that directory back.

On this eleven-year-old laptop still running Windows 7 with an SSD, I cannot complain about Xojo. It is resource-heavy but its speed is acceptable.

[quote=467853:@Alex Bombay]https://forum.xojo.com/56291-substantial-decrease-in-ide-performance-2019r2-vs-2019r1-1

I have found Xojo speed to be adequate until 2019r2, everything past that has been slow. Dark mode seems to be a significant contributor.[/quote]

This also count for the Windows version. The speed is acceptable for Xojo 2019r1.1 but aweful slow with 2029r2 and 2019r3

I did some experimenting today and the speed seems directly related to the number of plugins installed. The IDE and code editor in particular becomes intolerably slow with a full set of MBS plugins (which is not a good idea, of course, but this is an experiment).

@Gavin Smith: no, not really. Using MBS, a couple of Einhugur, Chilkat AND Valentina on both my iMac and the MacBook Air.