Substantial Decrease in IDE Performance 2019r2 vs 2019r1.1?

Hey, I just fired up 2019r2 today and checked some of my larger projects, they loaded ok with a few methods and events that needed to be changed. I thought well this is nice, not too much work to update this huge project, then I started using the IDE. Scrolling through methods in the sidebar appeared to be updating at < 1Hz, clicking on a method takes about 1-2 seconds to open. (only a few lines of code in each method) It was very hard to get anything done so I restarted the IDE, my computer and shut everything down but Xojo. I opened a new blank project, made a few methods and it was just as slow. Resizing the IDE is also quite painful unless I make it as small as it can go. 2019r1.1 is blazing fast compared to r2, not sure what has changed but I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed a slowdown.

System:
Macbook Pro 2015
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
3.1ghz i7, 16GB RAM

For us, the code editor is approx. 3 x slower than 2019r1.1 and approx. 6x slower than 2017r3.

Interesting I thought I remember seeing something in the release notes that said speed up code editor and IDE. I wonder what could have changed so much that we would see this decrease?

Your guess is as good as mine. I must admit I didn’t spend that much time testing the 2019r2 beta as we had to concentrate on getting an important software release out. The fact that one of our projects showed over 16,000 deprecation warnings didn’t exactly inspire us to play with it either.

I can only imagine what the Xojo IDE looks like for warnings. Most of my projects compiled fine but I have quite a bit of code going way back to the RealStudio days. I’m glad it all still works for the most part.

do you have plugins ? remember some versions before, major slowdown was caused by not updated plugins.

Only the built-in ones by Xojo. (database ones)

Some of us mentioned the slowdown many time in the Pre-Release Phase and Xojo was not able to fix it.

Let’s clarify that… this speed issue is very user specific. We were not able to reproduce it, which makes it really hard to quantify where the actual problem is.

Also:

System Requirements says:

An SSD is recommended for best performance.

What information can we give that might help us fix this issue?

[quote=457616:@Emile Schwarz]Also:

System Requirements says:

An SSD is recommended for best performance.

I have an SSD with ~3GB/s read and writes, should be good in that department.

Thanks for the suggestions, I don’t have any icons in my project, it all worked well in 2019r1.1

We probably need a case where we get lots of system specs all together in one place where we can look for similarities.

To give you an example, I currently have three MacBook Pros available to me, 2015, 2017 and 2019. All three of them work equally as well when editing the IDE in 2019r1.1 and 2019r2. I also have Windows 10 running well in Bootcamp in the oldest one. One possible issue I see is that I tend to buy the best video card I can get in these things because I dabble in video/3D, but I know that’s not always the case and could be contributing to my inability to reproduce this problem.

So yeah, we probably should be getting down to the nitty-gritty if video cards, drive types & speeds, available memory etc.

It also doesn’t help that Catalina shipped in the middle of all this as there are always unknowns with new OSs.

[quote=457623:@Greg O’Lone]We probably need a case where we get lots of system specs all together in one place where we can look for similarities.

To give you an example, I currently have three MacBook Pros available to me, 2015, 2017 and 2019. All three of them work equally as well when editing the IDE in 2019r1.1 and 2019r2. I also have Windows 10 running well in Bootcamp in the oldest one. One possible issue I see is that I tend to buy the best video card I can get in these things because I dabble in video/3D, but I know that’s not always the case and could be contributing to my inability to reproduce this problem.

So yeah, we probably should be getting down to the nitty-gritty if video cards, drive types & speeds, available memory etc.

It also doesn’t help that Catalina shipped in the middle of all this as there are always unknowns with new OSs.[/quote]

Yeah, I haven’t updated to Catalina yet, too many updates in too short of a time, good way to break things. I always max out my specs for the given model, however, for the 13in 2015 model that’s only integrated graphics “Intel Iris Graphics 6100”. I know it’s not great but I haven’t had a problem like this with any other xojo software since realbasic.

Like I said… it’s been challenging to quantify where the issues actually lie.

I totally understand, my idea here was to see if anyone else had been experiencing the same issues or solved them.

Yes, 2019r2 is very noticeable slower compared to 2019r1.1
Happens on my MBP2019 and iMac 5K.
In the beta cycle it was mentioned several time but I did not see any improvements regarding this. Something you need to get used to I guess.

Specs:
I use Xojo on my MacBook Pro 2017 15-inch with 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD on an external UHD (4k) Monitor (Thunderbolt 3) attached to a Radeon Vega RX 64 with 8GB HB2 (Thunderbolt 3) eGPU in a Razor Core Case. While using Xojo, only Dash is running. But i tested it with the internal Monitor and without Dash also.

Maybe it’s related to the Scaling of the Display? I use all my Monitors on 2560px Horiz.-Resolution (except when i play a game…).

I would not call it “user specific”, better as machine specific. Xojo not beeing able to reproduce it, makes it really hard to love it (the IDE). :smiley:

No rant or rage here. I am amazed by the things Xojo has already achived with 2019 R2 AND it’s not like i can’t use it. It’s just … really slow. :wink: