Sluggish IDE navigator

There were 7 lines.

I hit return twice and then started spamming the keyboard.

How big is your project?

I’m using text format but the project in binary format is about 25MB.

However, I can repeat the problem in an empty project.

The 6.6 second problem?

If we could disable features (in a beta) like autocomplete, redrawing in certain situations, syntax coloring, auto formatting,… maybe that could help to reveal the cause of such issues in some environments?

Anyway, it‘s late and weekend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes

Are you able to post the steps to replicate it?

I’m not at my Mac but the steps were basically this:

1. Launch Xojo
  2. Create a new project
  3. Add the App.Open event
  4. Spam the keyboard for a few seconds

Spamming the keyboard was just a way to compare performance between versions after I noticed very slow performance trying to use the 2019r2 betas.

2019r1.1 is just about usable but performance dive bombed in 2019r2.

Can you tell us:
Do you boot on a SSD or HD ?
What is the available hard disk space
What is the current amount of memory
Is Xojo the only running application ?
Is Internet active ?
Is Bluetooth active ?
What is the macOS version ?
How many items in some key OS Folders ?
(Documents, Downloads, …)

Why these questions ? Because I know (and have the experienc: using a mac more than 8 hours a day for the last 40 years) these (can) have impact on the whole speed.

For me everything is about back to where 2019r1.1 was before the major slow down in 2019r2+ (see Substantial Decrease in IDE Performance 2019r2 vs 2019r1.1?)

By no means is it comparable to the speed of sometime like vs code but its at least now usable, thanks for fixing that slow navigator bug xojo team.

Just out of curiosity… is there a delay the first time and then it keeps up with you from then on?

Hi Greg.

I’m not at my computer at the moment but from what I can remember there wasn’t an initial delay and the lag became longer the more you typed.

I also noticed a related issue (logged in Feedback) which I noticed on our DTK computer where typing a space could trigger a pause.

It’s an i7 Retina MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM & SSD running 10.11.6

I can’t be bothered to feel off everything about the computer but needless to say I don’t have any significant performance related issues running other Mac software, running Windows & Linux VMs or our own software which uses Tensorflow to perform machine learning image classification.

Hi Greg.

I’ve just ran another test on this and yes, there does appear to be a delay before the first keypress is displayed on-screen.

It’d be funny that the IDE runs faster in a Windows VM on your Mac than natively on the Mac…

1 Like

If that’s the only delay, try removing the reformat code script in your scripts folder to see if that helps.

There is nothing in the scripts folder.

In my case, the MBS plugins is also the cause of a big slowdown. I say this for the statistics…

1 Like

Try hiding the IDE toolbar.

I have found it reduces the lag when selecting items in the navigator and when selecting objects while designing a window.