Substantial Decrease in IDE Performance 2019r2 vs 2019r1.1?

We mainly see the overall Xojo slowdown on windows, after similar steps:

1.) Compile app for debugging
2.) Break into the debugger with a break point
3.) Step over / step in though the code
4.) Click edit code, and start adjusted code
5.) resume
6.) repeat steps 2 ->5 multiple times during the same compilation

Issue slows Xojo down for us.

Doing steps 1->5 without restarting Xojo causes Xojo to slow down even more over time.

Note: We have a very large project, though loading a small app while Xojo is in a slow state causes xojo to remain slow on the newly opened app.

Every machine in our company we have ran Xojo can experience this issue eventually.
General spec for all machines:
CPU’s: i7 / i9 / Xeons
HDD: NVMe 3000mb/s + read write
RAM: 32GB DDR4

We have seen this issue since Xojo went to 64-bit.

Hope this helps,

Connor

I do not have a problem with the code editor speed. It’s a 2017 MBP with the upgraded video card, Catalina in light mode, and minimal plugins.

One thing I do notice is the navigator is absurdly slow with dark mode turned on. Enough that I had to switch back to light mode. I suspect the visual effect view is to blame, and if I’m right, wouldn’t be worth the performance hit. But the navigator is outside the subject of this investigation.

[quote=457638:@Sascha S]Specs:
I use Xojo on my MacBook Pro 2017 15-inch with 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD on an external UHD (4k) Monitor (Thunderbolt 3) attached to a Radeon Vega RX 64 with 8GB HB2 (Thunderbolt 3) eGPU in a Razor Core Case. While using Xojo, only Dash is running. But i tested it with the internal Monitor and without Dash also.[/quote]

I use Dark-Mode too (and do not want to go back to Light-Mode) and i see the Issue on Mojave + Catalina.

Is anybody else seeing this with a scaled resolution? (I am not at home, can’t test it now).

That’s what I forgot to add. No issue under Mojave’s either during the betas, and I use it on both a scaled Retina display, and a 2560x1440 Thunderbolt Display.

No slowdown on iMac with 5k Retina display and Fusion drive and a MacBook Air from 2018 and an SSD.

Loading plugins seems slower on the Air, though.

Firing up Xojo IDE and loading the Plugins also takes much longer than before.

Maybe it’s really related to File System? I don’t know how much, while switching from one Window to another Window (via Mouse Click) in the Xojo IDE, the File system is involved in this process. But while we are talking about this issue, i am realizing that the much longer startup time of the IDE came at the same time as the IDE slowdowns.

[quote=457642:@Thom McGrath]I do not have a problem with the code editor speed. It’s a 2017 MBP with the upgraded video card, Catalina in light mode, and minimal plugins.

One thing I do notice is the navigator is absurdly slow with dark mode turned on. Enough that I had to switch back to light mode. I suspect the visual effect view is to blame, and if I’m right, wouldn’t be worth the performance hit. But the navigator is outside the subject of this investigation.[/quote]
Thom, could you go to your accessibility settings and enable Reduce Transparency and see if the IDE behaves better for you?

That’ll be hard to quantify. We moved loading some things into the splash screen because they always needed to be done anyway, regardless of project type and made the IDE appear to hang when they did.

I’m not feeling any massive slowdown since the new version, however, after you use the Analyze Project feature, running the project takes much more time (it gets stuck Assembling for 8~10s).

Closing completely Xojo and reopening the project again fixes the issue until you analyze the project again.

I’d take th additional 8-10 seconds. Because relaunching Xojo IDE would take 2-5 minutes here :slight_smile:

Uhm, have you tried enabling plugin by plugin to see if there is one that makes the difference?

no plugins in 2019r2 and 2019r1.1
same hardware
same os
I find 2019r2 is slower in most areas

I have the same issues only if i have used about all of my ram with other running software. But that only happens on a macbook air having 8gb of memory. This is what gives xojo alot less ram, probably making it slow.

When only xojo is open i get no oddness (without plugins). Also when there is enough memory free i don’t have these slowdowns.

Glad it works well for you
It doesnt here but I’m not too concerned since me & clients are unlikely to touch it for day to day use for quite some time

[quote=457700:@Norman Palardy]Glad it works well for you
It doesnt here but I’m not too concerned since me & clients are unlikely to touch it for day to day use for quite some time[/quote]

I am using it for my App Store Apps, but i do not make a living out of it… Else i would be more dissatisfied.

To be honest, my thoughts regarding the performance state in which it is now are really dark. But ranting here does not help. I prefer to be willing to find the issue with the help of the people at Xojo. And they surprised me often enough, in positive ways. :slight_smile:

This seems to be relevant
Those who do use it all day every day (whatever label you stick on them) or that do make a living from their use of Xojo seem to have different expectations and experiences than others

[quote=457614:@Greg O’Lone]Let’s clarify that… this speed issue is very user specific. We were not able to reproduce it, which makes it really hard to quantify where the actual problem is.

[/quote]
The feedback was marked as verified so I assumed it was reproduced and being worked on. I just added a stack trace and some other info… The case is still marked private/prerelease though or I’d link to it.

I confirmed the lag (scrolling) issues on R2. I Just revert back to 1.1

I will wait for the new release and test it before diving into it.

I did notice some slugginess with the Mac IDE. It must be downright horrid on a machine that does not use an SSD.

However, I feel compile is somewhat faster.

Probably coincidence, but all the slowness reporters are outside the US.