Why is XOJO so slow?

[quote=467634:@Kevin Gale]Greg, these are all good points but it doesn’t explain why the performance of the Xojo IDE is getting worse with just about every release. No other application we use suffers from such a dramatic change in performance between versions. We are running macOS 10.11 so Dark Mode cannot be to blame.
2019r2 is now so slow that it is unusable. Because of this we decided not to renew our licenses. From the tests we performed (and reported in Feedback), the 2019r2 code editor was 3x slower than the 2019r1.1 editor which was also 3x slower than the 2017r3 code editor. I must admit I didn’t spend enough time in other areas of the IDE to notice if they were also affected due to the API v2 omnishambles but I would be surprised if they weren’t also slower.[/quote]
This all still comes back to the fact that if we can’t see problem, we can’t fix it. If the code editor was 3x slower in 2019r2 than in 2019r1 for us, you can bet that it would have been resolved because most of us work in the IDE all day long. That said, we don’t routinely work in 10.11 either. I’ve got both a 10.14 and 10.15 physical machines which I work on plus parallels VMs of 10.10 through 10.15 to test on.

Hi Greg,

Is there a way in which I can take a video and show you what I mean? Is it a matter of downloading a screen capture program and uploading it to youTube? Like it’s mindblowing. Just trying to scroll through my objects is painful.

Hi again Greg,

Here’s a video I took showing how much the IDE lags with just trying to scroll around the IDE:

https://youtu.be/ykAisRy40JM

Can you confirm if this is normal or am I actually having an issue here.

[quote=467650:@Troy Baxter]Hi again Greg,

Here’s a video I took showing how much the IDE lags with just trying to scroll around the IDE:

Can you confirm if this is normal or am I actually having an issue here.[/quote]
You’re having an issue. What is strange is that I got similar performance from 2019R2 but I’m fine with R3. I pretty much skipped R2 and stuck with R1.1 until R3 was available. Try clearing your caches: Preferences > Building > Clear Caches

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the tip. I tried it but no effect. Still very slow.

[quote=467634:@Kevin Gale]
2019r2 is now so slow that it is unusable. Because of this we decided not to renew our licenses. From the tests we performed (and reported in Feedback), the 2019r2 code editor was 3x slower than the 2019r1.1 editor which was also 3x slower than the 2017r3 code editor. I must admit I didn’t spend enough time in other areas of the IDE to notice if they were also affected due to the API v2 omnishambles but I would be surprised if they weren’t also slower.[/quote]

Strange, I see none of this. Since October I’ve gone 2019r1.1 -> 2019r2 -> 2019r2.1 -> 2019r3. No noticeable change in IDE responsiveness.

Can you confirm if this is normal or am I actually having an issue here.[/quote]
Interesting. What you’ve got there is a refresh issue. That is, if the refreshes were happening at the normal rate, it wouldn’t be faster, but it would be smoother.

Do you use a lot of control arrays?

I think I’ve provided all of the data I can in the Feedback case I logged during the 2019r2 beta. If there is a way you can collect performance data (maybe via a special build) then I’m more than willing to do that.

[quote=467664:@Greg O’Lone]Interesting. What you’ve got there is a refresh issue. That is, if the refreshes were happening at the normal rate, it wouldn’t be faster, but it would be smoother.

Do you use a lot of control arrays?[/quote]

I have about 15 arrays with around 4 instances each. Is that a lot?

That’s something you can test. Another idea would be to test the example projects like Eddie’s Electronics. Or a reasonably complex app like Kaju (https://github.com/kaju).

[quote=467578:@Greg O’Lone]
What we do know:

• Apple’s insistence on drawing controls in recent years with translucency contributes greatly to this problem. Dark mode only exacerbates the problem.

.[/quote]

Doesn’t happen with Xcode coded apps. They are always fast. So basically it is an issue with Xojo. It’s pretty easy to blame Apple. Something you are very good at, so it seems. Also don’t blame hardware. Nowadays most systems are pretty fast and should even run heavy apps. (This counts for both Windows and macOS). People who code mostly have very good and new systems. So don’t insult those people.

FFW Xojo 2019r2 and r3 are also very slow in Windows.

I do have a slow working IDE but not that slow on my MBP16 (i9).
However I am seeing the same thing when running Xojo 2019r3 windows on my Surface Book

BTW I bet the most used search word on the forum is ‘slow’. :slight_smile:

[quote=467650:@Troy Baxter]
Here’s a video I took showing how much the IDE lags with just trying to scroll around the IDE …[/quote]
oh my god, looks very slow. you can provide this app without source code?
then other people can test if the screenrefresh in ide is normal or not.

[quote=467689:@Markus Rauch]oh my god, looks very slow. you can provide this app without source code?
then other people can test if the screenrefresh in ide is normal or not.[/quote]

I’d be happy to but I’m not sure how to do that.

as far as I can see in your video, it is a design problem.
for example: your airplane check boxes belong into an container control, that was I could see in the video, I think all other fields work the same way.
use container controls as often as you can and your problem is solved.
I know it is a big job but its the only way, that what I think !!!

A very optimistic assumption :slight_smile:

[quote=467699:@Johann Kienbrandt]as far as I can see in your video, it is a design problem.
for example: your airplane check boxes belong into an container control, that was I could see in the video, I think all other fields work the same way.
use container controls as often as you can and your problem is solved.
I know it is a big job but its the only way, that what I think !!![/quote]

Sorry I don’t know what container controls are.

Used to embed a group of controls in a Window or in another control.

https://documentation.xojo.com/api/deprecated/containercontrol.html

Please read the documentation or better view xojo videos about container controls, they are very handy and once you know how to use it, you will use it all the time.

[quote=467704:@Sascha S]Used to embed a group of controls in a Window or in another control.

https://documentation.xojo.com/api/deprecated/containercontrol.html[/quote]

I’m doing as you’ve both suggested. I’ll let you know if there is any improvement.