Who has reverted to 2012 IDE

If I recall it was even more maligned than Xojo. Most of the comments this time around are more constructive and less “you’re ruining my life!!”

Never been an early adopter. I like what I see in the new IDE, it has great potential, but I probably won’t switch for a few releases. Of course, my code base is still on RS 2010. There just wasn’t a compelling reason to jump to 2011 or 2012.

I’m on a 13 inch MacBook Air and have no problems.

Using both, Xojo for new projects and RS for the non Cocoa ones. Had no need to really revert to RS, although new projects are relatively small.

I Agree 100% and I can’t deny that a huge amount of work and effort has been put into Xojo. For me personally Xojo feels very much still in “Infancy”.

I’m staying with RS IDE until Xojo makes better use of screen real estate. Just can’t see enough of my code on a 13" laptop as it is now. Currently I have to choose between seeing my code and seeing my variables and it’s maddening.

Disappointed with how few real, non-cosmetic improvements were made. All of the same old nuisances exist, like having to re-expand modules in the property inspector each and every time I switch out of and back into globals, as well as some incredibly tedious new “features” like the way constants are displayed: in the old IDE I could see all my constants and their values displayed in a list on the left. In the new IDE there’s no way to do this AFAIK. You have to select a constant in the left pane and then view its value in the right hand pane. One at a time. I have an app with a whole module full of protocol constants, scores of them. Talk about user-hostile!

I admit the ‘look’ is sexier but I don’t see any advancements in productivity; quite the opposite. And I hate the name. Why are companies today so intent on having names that sound like baby talk? Whatever happened to names like “The Cleveland Bolt and Screw Manufacturing Company”? But I digress :wink:

Far from having any Analytical skills but I am seeing a trend here hence the posting. Those that are not having any real issue’s with Xojo just so happen to be Alpha Testers, Beta Testers.

Going to “shoot from the hip” and yes expecting a backlash but sorry despite all the effort that has gone into “Xojo” unfortunately hence all the hype still no “wow factor”. Sorry :slight_smile:

For me it is a mixture of both. Only new projects are now build with Xojo.
I have several big projects that are just too slow to work with Xojo. The GUI gets really slow on big projects and that is not very easy/pleasant to work with. For those projects I wait for a more stable and faster Xojo version.

But in the end I am all for the new IDE. I really cannot wait to see some iOS support. :slight_smile:

Sticking with 2012r2.1 until they get the Navigator issues worked out. A lot of little things I can let slide, but that Navigator is tough to use (for me, YMMV) on my medium size projects. The bugs and little issues will get worked out over time, but I’m not convinced they are going to do a major reworking of the Navigator, and I think that is needed. Will take another look at the 3rd iteration.

[quote]I admit the ‘look’ is sexier but I don’t see any advancements in productivity; quite the opposite. And I hate the name. Why are companies today so intent on having names that sound like baby talk? Whatever happened to names like “The Cleveland Bolt and Screw Manufacturing Company”? But I digress :wink:
[/quote]

They changed their name to Clevoltrew back in 2010… :slight_smile:

No, that was in '85. In 2010 it became “Cloozoo”.

The predictable evolution of product naming that requires one or two syllables and must have its corresponding .com address available. Hence names like xoof.com and parked domains for every bizarre combination of letters that you can think of. The intarwebs are awesome, n’est pas?

Not reverted, basically. Still using 2011r3 to create PowerPC compatibility, compiling with Carbon framework for historical reason. But nearly about to switch to 2013r1 (and its non-beta Cocoa ability).

When Carbon is marked as 'deprecated ’ in Mt. Lion, future OS X versions may will remove it completely.
So I’m in a hurry a bit. :wink:

I’m a fan. We can now google (or bing, or whatever) Xojo and only have to filter through a few energy drinks. Prior to this we got all kinds of nonsense. Plus, I’d generally do the search on realbasic, real basic, realstudio, and real studio since those were all common ways of writing about the product. The Tiobe results will likely be more accurate with regard to this product.

Good point re web searching, @Joseph Claeys.

I can assure you, no. I’ve never been one to hold back my feelings/thoughts. I wrote pages and pages of thoughts during the alpha/beta period on the new UI and railed about space considerations. I will reveal that one infuriating response I got from Xojo management was that I was not a “normal user.” Fair enough but I think I nailed the backlash on that one. :wink:

It could just be that we have had more time to get used to it.

I like it. I have spent less time moaning about it and more time getting used to using it. I work on 13 inch mac book air most of the time and can’t say space has bothered me. I keep saying this but the transition was easy, 2 or 3 days getting around the IDE and all my apps transferred to XOJO. Alright I have my issues with it but they are issues that existed with RB2012 and I expected them to be ironed out in Xojo but they transitioned with it.

Good work I say. It will only get better. Bugs, issues, shortfalls whatever, work round them, develop past them or use Xcode or Visual Studio. I came for Visual Basic to RB and wouldn’t go back…

Or keep asking Xojo to address them. This is not just a few whiney users, a lot of users are having space issues on smaller screens and are complaining about the Navigation issues. I think they will get it right in the end, but we have a ways to go. Other than Cocoa finally being out of beta, I just don’t see a huge number of compelling reasons to move to Xojo and leave 2012r2 (sorry, but “time to move forward” for the sake of moving forward is not a reason).

I have had to revert back to 2012 r1 for a couple of programs involving legal work and the government. Having to heavily rely on RAD in windows and strict timelines, xojo had a GUI and speed issue which was a show-stopper.

I am sure that Xojo will be better in the future. The next release of Xojo will likely be good-enough, and RS 2012 r1 is the program of choice for now.

Sincerely,

Eugene