Where to get older OSX versions

[quote=157930:@Robert Schofield]$ 99 is too much??? really??

Before the MAS it was :

Apple Developer Connection Select for $499
Apple Developer Connection Premier for $3499

source

and that $ 99 gets you more than the old fees use to.[/quote]
When it was $499 it wasn’t a required fee. A 16 year old could tinker around and make software. Maybe even make a name for himself, buy a new computer and get into the game. Now that fee is a requirement to launch on many installations of OSX where a user hasn’t changed settings.

I didn’t say it was too much, I said it prevented young tinkerers from sharing their creations. But thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Unfortunately, the general public does not see it that way. People buy a Macintosh, and not apps that need a hardware. The perception of Mac is mainly hardware, and the apple that people will see from afar in the office or the university room as proof the owner is wealthy. I was fascinated the other day to see a lecture in a room where the vast majority of computers were Apple laptops and the rest Vaios. Status symbol.

From what I see, people do plop $1500 every two years for a Mac, and $650 or so for an iPhone as well. Not a laptop and a smart phone. Specifically the object with an apple on it. And cases have an aperture to show the brand, just like shoes have the Nike logo and vests the North Pole one. That is the way contemporary immature adults culture goes.

As for apps, we are not in the Mac 128 Kansas anymore, when Mac was starving for software. With over 1,300,000 or so apps for iOS and maybe tens of thousands if not hundreds in the MAS, I doubt they really worry about one or two publishers leaving the boat – yet. Offer and demand is key. Like it or not, for the moment at least, we are the ones asking, Apple has the high ground. Doing business is adapt or die. That is the hard reality.

[quote=157930:@Robert Schofield]$ 99 is too much??? really??

Before the MAS it was :

Apple Developer Connection Select for $499
Apple Developer Connection Premier for $3499

source

and that $ 99 gets you more than the old fees use to.[/quote]
Don’t forget that the old Developer programs also got you a hardware discount at their store. I routinely used it because in addition to the other benefits, it would save about $350 off the price off a new machine.

[quote=157932:@Tim Parnell]When it was $499 it wasn’t a required fee. A 16 year old could tinker around and make software. Maybe even make a name for himself, buy a new computer and get into the game. Now that fee is a requirement to launch on many installations of OSX where a user hasn’t changed settings.

I didn’t say it was too much, I said it prevented young tinkerers from sharing their creations. But thanks for putting words in my mouth.[/quote]

A 16 can sign up for the free program and still tinker for free.

I agree. But don’t you think MS would really like a “do over” of the past 10 or so years when they went from undisputed King of the Hill to serious trouble ahead? Apple would do itself a great favor by not going down that same road.

Indeed who would have thought in the heydays of Microsoft-king-of-the-hill that they would admit not to seek more than 15% of the total computing devices market share from now on ?

Who would have thought in the 1980’s that Sony, in spite of the Vaio and more than honorable tablets and phones, would be almost non existent in the brave world of the 21 st Century ?

Who would have thought that almighty Nokia would get so low as being bought out by said Microsoft ?

What goes around comes around, for sure.

Who would have thought that almost dead Amelio’s Apple would not only bounce back but become a behemoth sitting on a huge portable devices market, with desktop computers that resist better to erosion than the PC ? Their arrogance is at the measure of their present success. It would take saints to remain humble when everything they touch seems to turn gold.

Well, my experience with Apple Chat in the Apple Store was the tech person didn’t even know the difference between a Full installation and an Upgrade. So I waited for response from Tech Support in the Mac Developer program. The lady sent me a very nice message and instructions on where to get a redeem code for use in the Apple Store for Mountain Lion. Geez, that’s just great because at the bottom of her email is my original email attached showing I was asking how to get Lion, not Mountain Lion. Waiting to hear back.

This has been going on for 2 days, this is reaching the level of a poorly run circus.

If you have and App dev account for the Mac yard allowed to download 10.5 and 10.6 only from the dev center 10.7 or greater from Mac App store using a code. To get 10.5 and 10.6 from the dev center do the following:

Got to: https://developer.apple.com/downloads/

Deselect all Categories except “OS X” on the left sidebar

Scroll to bottom of page and go to page 7 for 10.6 (Feb 2010) and go to page 8 for 10.5 (Oct 26, 2007)

[quote=158323:@Sean Mitchell]If you have and App dev account for the Mac yard allowed to download 10.5 and 10.6 only from the dev center 10.7 or greater from Mac App store using a code. To get 10.5 and 10.6 from the dev center do the following:

Got to: https://developer.apple.com/downloads/

Deselect all Categories except “OS X” on the left sidebar

Scroll to bottom of page and go to page 7 for 10.6 (Feb 2010) and go to page 8 for 10.5 (Oct 26, 2007)[/quote]
Sean is absolutely correct. I was about to reply to his post to say that there are only updaters for those old OSs but no, there are full installers for 10.5 and 10.6 if you look carefully enough. I must have missed them the last time I looked as I was sure they had removed them. Thanks Sean.

10.5…

10.6… (this was the GM build)

Yes, but I am looking for 10.7 - full install.

10.7 is the only one that seems to be in this weird state where, for me at least, its no in the dev downloads and its not in the store either

When you are looking for 10.7 (for 4 days), that’s the rub. As I have mentioned before, sitting on $70 billion in cash, hire another Q/A person for the Dev program to catch stuff like this.

Ah, I was only following bits of this thread. If 10.5 and 10.6 are available, it doesn’t look like a deliberate action. Try contacting devprograms@apple.com, they’re usually very good.

I did on Wednesday… they responded 24 hours later telling me how to get the Redeem code for 10.8, Mountain Lion. I called the number she left and left a voiced mail that I was looking for 10.7 as mentioned in email that she attached to here. Haven’t heard back.

Thanks for the help guys. I’m just getting frustrated, trying to get an older version of the O/S to test with. Shouldn’t take 4 days with still no results, it’s wearing my skin a bit thin…

I dont have a 10.7 installer here anywhere - and its the ONE that is not in the store (go figure)
Otherwise I’d have posted a DMG you could download & been done with this
Someone surely does

I’ll just wait to hear from them, no need for anyone to post a huge file like that, I’ve got some running around to do this afternoon anyway. But thanks for the offer.

So … to refresh this post … I am looking for installers for 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10 - I forgot to backup those apps back then. And they’re not visible in the MAS anymore, so I cannot re-download them.

I want to run these in Parallels Desktop 13 to test with. I already have 10.11 running this way.

I can create an FTP-account if someone is willing to upload those installers.
Or point me to a link where I can download them.

Many thanks in advance!

Oh, and I do not have a paid Apple Dev account.

I have a copy of all the old macOS installers if you need them. I think they go back until Lion. Which ones do you want — how far back?

Some of these may not work anymore, I had a whole bunch go bad when they were signed with a certificate that expired in 2016. I dont recall which version sorry.