Where to get older OSX versions

All, what is the best way to get older versions of OSX for use with Parallels? I run Mavericks, but need Lion. I know I can buy them from the Apple Store for $20, but is there some other place to get them? Maybe free through a Mac developer account?

You could try eBay. My dev account only lets me download as old as Mountain Lion.
I have a 10.5 fresh install disc I can sell (not an oem disc) if you can’t find anything.

I don’t mind paying the $20, I just thought that if it came with a developer account to use that. Not a big deal, thanks for the response. FYI, I need to 10.7, I’ll just pay the $20 and download it.

I can only recommend making your own archive and keep installers archived.

I am not sure what that means. I need a version of OSX that I have never had before and was before the version on my first Mac. I think the answer here is pay the $19.99 at the Apple Store. I was just hoping it was part of some other package or program similar to what MS has with its MSDN license, where you have access to all the older versions of Windows.

In my (paid) Mac Dev Account, I see OS X 10.7 (Lion) available for download. There are other older versions as well.

so far I made a copy of each Mac OS X installer after download and before installing. Just in case I need to install same OS X Version on other Mac.

and I see in App Store in my purchases the installer from 10.8 and 10.9.

Thanks, unfortunately I just plopped down the $20 right before you mentioned this. I asked this question 15 hours ago, are there that many people with Mac developer accounts that were unaware that this is available to them? Seems like a valuable resource for developers, that if they new about would use (and mention if they knew about it).

Edit: I think I was able to cancel the order before they sent the unlock code, and finally decided to join the Mac Dev program. Thanks for the help.

Paul what URL are you at? I am just seeing the updates for 10.7.2. Parallels needs either the DVD or the disk image file to install it into a VM. The only thing I seem to be able to get is the 10.7.2 update in the form of a .DMG with package inside.

Log into Mac Dev, and click “All downloads” in the Mac dev center. Then check only Mac OS X (156 items). Lion is on page 5/8.
https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action

Check OS X(154)

Hmm. When I expand the 10.7 items, I do not see full image files either. I’m pretty sure they’ve been there in the past. It may be worth an email to Apple to see what is up.

You are right, they were there. Seems the party is over :confused:

So we as developers, aren’t expected to test our built applications on older versions of OSX?

I see full version + updates for versions prior to 10.7
10.7 and up I can get the initial install from the app store
In the dev account limit it to OS X and search for Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, etc

EDIT : I should correct this to be consistent :slight_smile:
10.7 and up are in the store
Versions prior to 10.7 are in the dev downloads

[quote=157817:@Norman Palardy]I see full version + updates for versions prior to 10.8
10.7 and up I can get the initial install from the app store
In the dev account limit it to OS X and search for Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, etc[/quote]
Thanks Norman, do you have a URL? I am just completely lost in this maze of a web site. The only thing I see in the App store is the $19.99 version that I found before I was told I could get it in the Mac developer program.

Under “Dev Centers” click “Mac” (you should end up at https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/index.action)

Scroll way down to “Additional Downloads”

Click “View All Downloads” (you should end up at https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action)

Uncheck everything except OS X

Then in the search field enter “Snow Leopard” and press enter

That is where I have been. That only shows me the updates, not the full O/S installs. see Paul’s note from above:

“Hmm. When I expand the 10.7 items, I do not see full image files either. I’m pretty sure they’ve been there in the past.”

FYI, I am looking for Lion, not Snow Leopard.

Lion is not there - I mentioned that

[quote=157817:@Norman Palardy]10.7 and up I can get the initial install from the app store
[/quote]
But I see I edited part of my comment before posting & not the other
10.7 and up you get from the store and IF you were a dev at the time it’s in your purchases
Not sure you can still get a coupon code to get it as a dev
THAT would be in a different spot