What is your component kit essential pack?

Occasionally I hear about some Restrepo’s component or somebody else’s work floating around.
The component set that comes with Xojo is so simplified that sometimes can be useless (word-wrapping for string cells of a listbox? Header height can’t be set, Etc)

So people must be using a good FREE set of essential components all around and I just don’t know.

Can we list some, that you believe can compound an essential, must have, Xojo 2013R4+ compatible pack?

Let’s see if we can compile a list and put the essential pack in some repository.

http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Third_Party_Products

Thank you Christian, you pointed out valuable resources known by many, but they are all in a mixed context and not pointing out what’s paid and what’s free. And maybe we have duplicated functionality or even some basic resources people do prefer other options.

I suspect that 95% there are paid. I suspect that many known resources are missing there.

I don’t believe that All free resources from Restropo’s work is gone (for example), and possibly others too. This is an effort trying to figure it out and join this kind of content. http://mac.softpedia.com/progMoreBy/Publisher-Alex-Restrepo-6388.html

Well, one problem with free is that if there is nobody keeping it maintained, things are often outdated.

You will have to check the list of what things are inside, if you can use them and than check license/cost to see if it’s worth.
On the end you want to save time with those and and not fix other peoples code.

some items were commercial (paid) then went free or vice versa. The list is just a list of known components/plugins and you can decide which ones are good for you. I cant make that list for you.

Agreed. I do expect only open source, community maintained.

I didn’t ask you that. It’s a voluntary effort.
Someone can answer and contribute with some unknown treasure, who knows.
We could come up with something very useful from this or we can find out the many of those resources are really dead and this effort was worthless. But if no one tries, no one gets.

EXACTLY. I’m cleaning up a “doesn’t work right on Cocoa but there will be no updates” mess like that right now as we speak.

Thank Zeus you have the source code to evolve that old code and solve your problem. :wink:

Crickets.

^^^ So you can mark this question answered.

I bought the source code version way back when…but don’t have the desire to continue the madness. It will just bite me the rear at some point in the future again. I’m switching to an out-of-the-box solution in this case.

If that solves your problem, in the speed you need, you are in a good route. :wink:

Brad,
I googled Crickets and got this - is this what you were referring to???

Link

One year ago I wouldn’t know. But now I do understand a bit of Bradish, a very specific californian dialect, and it means “Would you mind to close this thread, please”.

[quote=93157:@Richard Summers]I googled Crickets and got this - is this what you were referring to???
[/quote]

They make a very distinct sound which, unless it is very quiet, is almost indistinguishable from silence.

Rick, it’s the same deal here this year as it was a year ago. There isn’t a lot of “free and open source” stuff to organize where you like. If you want to organize it where you lile, you’ll probably have to be one of the first to step up and make it. The community has a much better tradition of paid third party plugins, modules, and licensed source which tend to be great values if you value your time more than the crickets do. That’s just kinda how it is.

[quote=93138:@Rick Araujo]Agreed. I do expect only open source, community maintained.

I didn’t ask you that. It’s a voluntary effort.
Someone can answer and contribute with some unknown treasure, who knows.
We could come up with something very useful from this or we can find out the many of those resources are really dead and this effort was worthless. But if no one tries, no one gets.[/quote]

Hi Rick,
What source of Alex are you specifically searching for? I have a backup repository of every piece of code that has existed by him, and been posted in rs/xojo forums by others etc. At xojodevspot.com there is 2.6 gb of code alone in the repository :slight_smile:

Many of these sources are available through the xojo docs page, but somehow the sources stay well hidden from the public regardless :-/

Not looking for something. Looking for what do we have? Why don’t we have a good, organized, community lib? Who was Restrepo? Why looks like he was some genius that produced content for the community and his work was erased and he was killed? :slight_smile: There were other Restrepos in the RB history with works erased and libs lost? Why people use and hide those resources? That kind of thing. Do the people really not want to organize a public library or is this just protective lobby?

I partially understand Brad’s POV that a good free lib “could” hurt some small not complex “commercial” lib doing almost the same functions. But I see 2 distinct worlds on this subject. The free libs should libs with good basic stuff. The commercial ones for complex tasks needing a better support. So they should not be worried about it.

Oh my Odin, they really killed him! :slight_smile:

Really? Because that’s not my point of view at all. (1) It’s called competition, so long as it’s done ethically. (2) It’s never happened here, so at best, it’s a hypothetical. A more accurate description is “pipe dream”.

[quote=93233:@Rick Araujo]Not looking for something. Looking for what do we have? Why don’t we have a good, organized, community lib? Who was Restrepo? Why looks like he was some genius that produced content for the community and his work was erased and he was killed? :slight_smile: There were other Restrepos in the RB history with works erased and libs lost? Why people use and hide those resources? That kind of thing. Do the people really not want to organize a public library or is this just protective lobby?

I partially understand Brad’s POV that a good free lib “could” hurt some small not complex “commercial” lib doing almost the same functions. But I see 2 distinct worlds on this subject. The free libs should libs with good basic stuff. The commercial ones for complex tasks needing a better support. So they should not be worried about it.

Oh my Odin, they really killed him! :)[/quote]
I heard that Alex is still alive. He moved on from Xojo, not many years ago (as far as I can tell). I think I heard he works for some big company now. Tbh, I don’t know.

there is several public libraries out there now for Xojo. 1) WFS (WIndows Functionality Suite). 2) MacOSLib 3) and many many more.