What is your component kit essential pack?

You can ask him. He’s active in LinkedIn and Twitter :slight_smile: (or, rather, “active”, as in “he tweets from time to time” in spanish).

He’s moved to Instagram and keeps busy with Xcode. His github hasn’t been updated in a few months, but most of his stuff that still worked in recent versions of RealStudio are there.

There was no falling out or anything. He just moved to other things.

Moved on from RealBasic, I seem to recall he moved away from RealStudio before it became Xojo (there’s a post in the old forum asking about him). He moved to iOS in 2007 in KZLabs, and he’s been in iOS and xcode since then. Moved to Instagram two years ago.

So I don’t understand why so much defense against trying to figure out about the public essential pack people use, Brad. Let it go. Relax. :slight_smile:

Yeah, Scott. I know about those two famous OS specific.

Hey Oliver, if know me, you probably know that I wasn’t serious about the alive thing, huh? :slight_smile:

Those I don’t know. But Matt seems to collect them. :expressionless:

I extended the built-in controls to do pretty much everything I want.

Alex is a good guy…lives in New Orleans…hes on my twitter as @repo and also has a github with a few of the torn down projects as well. He left realbasic in 2008 for good. XCode/obj-c now :slight_smile: actually works for the new orleans saints handling their social media.

Here’s the github.

I don’t collect RS/Xojo resources, I archive them in a public (like web.archive.org…but only for Xojo materials) database since 2 out of 3 resources disappears every year, and unstable resources is a bad sign :-/

Lots of stuff (not all yet) can be found in xojodevspot searchengine.

www.xojodevspot.com/search/

I can’t speak for others, but part of the reason why I sell my own toolkits and development tools, is because I earn my living as a developer, so often these kits or apps, I’ve invested a lot of time in them and as I’ve invested so much, I don’t think it’s wrong to ask a little in return.

For instance, I’ve spent months of time trying to figure out how to do Sandboxing in the most reliable way. We’ve been stung by having a solution which works here, but not there. I’ve even learned some Obj-C to understand how Apple’s AppKit does it, just so I can replicate it in my favorite development tool.

Same goes for retina, the code I sell is the third generation Retina code and is as close to doing it the correct way as I could get it.

Or App Wrapper, version 1 was released in 2011 and I released it for free to help others, however as the years have gone by, I’ve had to invest tremendous amounts of work to support other people’s apps and even other development kits.

There’s no “defense”. If anything, it’s kinda entertaining that you’ve asked essentially the same question more than 20 times since these forums started and gotten the same answer. At what point do you, Rick, say, “I’m gonna be the guy that develops all these free things that are so desperately needed.”? Honestly, I’d wish you nothing but success! In fact, I bet most of the people who develop stuff to sell into this market would love it if you succeeded so much, that they could just focus on their own profitable outward facing projects while you toil for free. I sure would.

I am one of your customers for App Wrapper Mini and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who wants to have an app in the MAS. Sure, I could have been through the “free” tools provided by Apple for code signing, and endured the same torments as reported by the poor souls who do not want to pay you the few dollars you asked. Then I would have delayed introduction of my apps several days, by which I would have lost much more money than that small investment.

When I started programming, I was a freelance journalist. I depended on my articles to bring bread onto the table. I would have never imagined that some sick mind would object to see an honest job get paid. Years later my coding hobby became my day job, and it seemed only natural to ask a just payment for the work I had invested.

I find shocking the kind of intellectual terrorism that goes into some self-righteous speeches about why and how software should be free. Most of the tenants of such concept have it easy : a well paid universitarian can easily stand for free software, when he gets very well paid to dispense teachings as his day job. Anybody who codes as a hobby can frown on paid software for what he sees as leisure. But it would not come to anybody in his right mind to claim that cars should be made free, or that a carpenter is unjustified in asking for a just payment. Why such hostility towards software developers ?

Nothing wrong in releasing software for free. I regularly release pieces of code and free utilities without asking anything in return. But don’t expect any support.

Using public domain development tools is fine when one does not depend on them to make a living. It is quite another story when your development is a business. Then hazardous experiment and half baked solutions end up in painful and costly errors. To be blunt, how can some shell out $600 without a blink for an iPhone and frown for the € 199 complete MBS plugins pack ?

In fact, this forum has two different kinds of members : professionals of all sizes, who have a duty for dependable software, and people who for many reasons do not have to deliver software in a commercial relationship. Hobbyists, amateurs, aficionados, can be just as competent as professionals, but their resources maybe limited, or they enjoy building their own. That is fine. It should not justify blaming honest programmers who depend on their sales to make a living.

[quote=93341:@Michel Bujardet]But it would not come to anybody in his right mind to claim that cars should be made free, or that a carpenter is unjustified in asking for a just payment. Why such hostility towards software developers ?
[/quote]
You can feel & touch a car or table.
We just deliver bits - nothing “tangible” like a car or table.
So how come it can / could be so expensive ?
And from there you descend into downloading audio video etc and all sorts of things as its “just bits” and duplicating bits doesn’t hurt the electrons or anything else.
Right ?

I was not referring so much to piracy as to the free software movement which often implies that pay for software is illegitimate.

Piracy is yet another phenomenon, and you are right that the virtual nature of software induces the false perception that simply downloading it is innocuous.

When I started to explore the online RB/RS/Xojo community it was quite obvious that between 2005-2007 it was a peak for creating sites with new different contents. It was probably due to VB6 was depreciated.

Since 2008-2009 the sites that survived and new sites become more professional. Commercial tools become more common while many free tools were more or less abandoned.

In my opinion individuals that work professional should also use commercial tools and products (icons etc). Time is money and it’s better that the vendor of a commercial tool spend time to fix any bugs etc than the professional tries to do it.

A toolbox is never fixed, some tools become obsolete, new tools are available and tools are upgraded. Sometimes some projects request some special tools to be used.

In theory free software are great but practical we cannot depend on a community that may or may not help us out. We always need a phone number to a vendor.

Michel Bujardet: Could You have the kindness to point out some high profiled members of the free software movement that explicit state that paying for software is illegitimate. I’m curious as I up to this date have not read anything like that, thanks.

Sam, you have no idea how much I respect you and your work (same for Christian, Bob, and few other professionals I may be forgetting now). That said, seems that people is making mistakes based on the misguidance of Brad.

I came from a community full of shared resources, and many of those were donated and integrated to another IDE.
What I found here when I “landed” was so culturally weird to me that I thought that the problem should be on me, not knowing how people evolves things here. Maybe many of you should have a full popular pack of libs that I, the the poor ignorant one, wasn’t aware. I don’t believe you guys keep reinventing the wheels every time as some here seems to vent.

I know that there are some popular libs, I know that people uses them. Don’t know what, which, where, how, etc. That kind of thing. So, that was my question. My quest is for knowledge, not getting free things like Brad vents. I pay for useful things, some vendors here knows that.

Brad, I don’t want to call you a liar, but I raised a similar subject in 2013 (promptly attacked by you, again) and gave up. Again, this year, raised this similar question and as usual, while people insists on things “you don’t like” you attack the person. Please, stop that. Make your point, give your arguments, and go away. I don’t want to challenge you, but be prepared because If I continue to use Xojo in 2015, this question will rise again, sorry, because popular libs change with the time. That’s how I am, curious and loving evolution of the things, live with that. If you don’t like the subject, just skip the topic, please.

Too off-topic and already clarified.

Dennis, you probably know (not the newcomers) Scott maintains 2 of those popular libs in Github. After a provocation I did last year, that one that values by 20x for Brad, Scott and two other fellows did an excellent job updating those contents. Popular open libs are self maintained because when bugs rises the community jumps to fix it. Maybe we are too small for my way of thinking?

Well… The 2014 quest for collaborative work and shared knowledge is ended. Thanks for coming. We may see you guys next year again. :wink:

[quote=93452:@Rick Araujo]Well… The 2014 quest for collaborative work and shared knowledge is ended. Thanks for coming. We may see you guys next year again. :wink:
[/quote]

There is oodles of collaborative work that goes on in this community that’s just not done on your preferred terms. If you’d like to see more actual work done on your terms, do some actual work. Software, open source or otherwise, does not write itself. Nobody is waiting for someone to come in and organize better. Did you never read Cathedral and the Bazaar?

I am not ruling anything, so there are no terms.
Produce good and desirable software and people will buy, no need to be scared about simple pieces of code people produce and share.

I sometimes get the feeling there are two groups on this forum that try their hardest to misunderstand each other.

Ask for “which free tools are others using” and the thread invariably descends into more or less veiled accusations of freeloader/piracy/ etc.

Suggest a commercial solution to a problem and there are cries of spam/should be build in/ “why pay for a simple solution”

Michel hit the nail on the head when he wrote

Unfortunately he continued with

[nobody did that Michel]

Why not have a decent and up-to-date list of all the free goodies? That would be especially useful to all those new to Xojo and would increase their coding pleasure. It would bind them tighter to Xojo and in time they would probably move on to commercial offerings like MBS. Everyone wins. Just look at the excellent open source clock & calendar control https://forum.xojo.com/11102-xojo-calendar-time-picker-docs-updated/231#p88460

So why the animosity? It reflects badly not only on those jumping down other people’s throat but on the whole community.

I used to say that the REALbasic forum community was 5 Stars and one of the best assets of Xojo. Lately I’m not so sure anymore.

[quote=93543:@Markus Winter]<…>
Why not have a decent and up-to-date list of all the free goodies? <…>[/quote]
https://www.xplatdev.com/weblinks
This collection of links looks pretty comprehensive to me. Whether the individual products/services etc were, are, or will be free may be subject to change… But if someone is still to lazy to click through these links and check for himself, then maybe, programming is nothing for such person.

[quote=93552:@Oliver Osswald]https://www.xplatdev.com/weblinks
This collection of links looks pretty comprehensive to me. Whether the individual products/services etc were, are, or will be free may be subject to change… But if someone is still to lazy to click through these links and check for himself, then maybe, programming is nothing for such person.[/quote]
That would have sounded so much better without the last sentence. Was that really necessary?

That’s what I meant with my observation.

Xojo definitely has several types of users.
There are two very large ones - those who develop full time, and those who don’t.
And they have very different needs & expectations.

A large collection of add ons, free & paid, is beneficial to both.

There have been other efforts to get a community effort to develop some components (a listbox replacement) that have never amounted to much.

[quote=93557:@Markus Winter]That would have sounded so much better without the last sentence. Was that really necessary?

That’s what I meant with my observation.[/quote]
I agree. I think you’re right.