What can't be done in Xojo

My first thought was the license would prevent you from writing flight control software because a lot of licenses I’ve seen say something to the effect of “YOU MAY NOT USE THIS FOR FLIGHT CONTROL SOFTWARE.” But I’ve seen no mention of this in the Xojo license.

Please tell me no one has used this for flight control software.

There is a differnce between what CAN (or cannot) be done, compared to what SHOULD (or should not) be done

The OP question I think was more from a technical point of view. And again… the limit is your imagination.
Even the above mentioned Currency/Double situation can be worked around

Not impossible to write a BCD class In Xojo and use that
No one’s done it but its certainly doable

What language does flight control software have to be written in then?

I guess something with low-level Real-Time Support?

Something verifiable that runs on a verifiable chunk of hardware I hope
There was a chip developed by the Brits for the Harrier (think it was this one although not sure) called the Viper which was a verifiable computer chip (simple & fast as heck)
The upside of this simple design made it such that the chip could be verified to have 0 errata
And the compilers etc that cranked out code for it could also be verified to generate correct code
Since this controlled flight avionics etc for a fly by wire plane it was kind of important this be possible

Interesting !

uhm… regarding verifiable software… cause of failure

If you do end up designing your own plane, use this as a starting point when you get to the avionics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DO-178B

Verifiable software ? verified software
Been there done that and almost made a similar mistake with pipeline control software
We spec’d things in psi and the contractors wrote it assuming kpa :slight_smile:
Good thing we could verify things

[quote=196808:@Scott Griffitts]My first thought was the license would prevent you from writing flight control software because a lot of licenses I’ve seen say something to the effect of “YOU MAY NOT USE THIS FOR FLIGHT CONTROL SOFTWARE.” But I’ve seen no mention of this in the Xojo license.

Please tell me no one has used this for flight control software.[/quote]

Using any development product (Xojo, basic c++ or whatever) to develop software for use in aircraft or aircraft training is not the call of the programmer. Its approval is the domain of the regulatory body in said country (FAA,CAA,DGAC,JAA). One of the best bits of flight training software available anywhere was written on a Mac in Xcode. The software is called Xplane and has FAA approval.

Any language you like. Its not the language, but its performance that is the issue. I have a friend who has written a complete cockpit management suite for the B737-800 in VB6.

ok next time I travel I take care, it is an Airbus :wink:

Thank you folks for the fun you gave us on a sunny Friday morning, Strasbourg, France, Europe…

“Remember, if it aint Boeing I aint going”. Seriously though, For many reasons, I still think that the A320 is a better aircraft than the B737, but there must be a lot of people who disagree with me because the B737 is still the most produced Airliner in history with over 2,000 aircraft on order.

That was referring to a full size simulator and not the actual aircraft.

Maybe I will write a complete cockpit management suite for this locally built machine, assembled out of supermarket trolleys and assorted scrap:

Nice clothesline. The ‘guard’ standing there is actually redundant as I doubt that it was ever in danger of being stolen

You have no idea! Any unattended metal gets stolen if it can be carried, to sell for scrap. Including copper phone lines and power station cooling tower supports:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2014/06/26/buried-alive-in-soweto

So, I guess a real helicopter without a guard wouldn’t stand a chance huh?

Whattyoumean?? That IS a real helicopter. :wink:

Seriously though, metal theft is a huge problem here: in fact theft generally. We had the corrugated iron roof of the local water pumping station/reservoir being stolen until the municipality put a guard on it: the safety railings of a nearby bridge over a highway were angle-ground off one night: many many areas are without telephony: they try to steal pylons:

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Two-held-for-stealing-electricity-pylons-20140623