What can't be done in Xojo

I remember the days when the idea of playing games, on a phone that doesn’t require a chord, sounded absurd.

I remember the days when the idea of playing ANY game on ANY phone sounded absurd!!!

Sigh Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

Alan Ginsberg wrote ‘Nostalgia is the worst form of delusion’

Was he stoned at the time?

I remember the days when the idea of Nostalgia sounded absurd!

Fine, that 15 KB loads tons of common windows stuff before you see “hello world” appearing on your screen.

I did assembler for 7 years, from '84 till '91. Even when using assembler you get fast, because you build your own code library and you start dreaming memonics. Because the lack of good tools, I’ve build my own cross assembler, linker and simulator in those days, with MS Quickbasic.

I was the one-eye-king in the company. Those were the days …

@Joost Rongen : Negative, no dependencies at all! Pure EXE files, full moveable. Programs could be even started directly from 3,5" 1.44 MB Floppy disks… :wink:

[quote]with MS Quickbasic.[/quote] ??? What!!!

For Thomas

MS DOS 6.22 ??? What!!!

Ja, I was talking about Win32 (PowerBasic for Windows) but on MS-DOS former Borland Turbo-Basic and later Power-Basic were both better than MS Quickbasic!

http://www.powerbasic.com/products/pbdos/

Even TSR programming and Interrupt programming was possible… I’ve created my own Libs with Int33 for mouse control for ASCII pseudo Windows :wink:

Favourites…
BASIC on Tandy Color Computer 3 (What I learnt to program on as a kid of 8 years old)
BASIC on Commodore 64 (Teenage years, LOVED those sprites!)
Quick Basic (First intro into IBM)
AND VISUAL FOX PRO!!! (I still miss it today. Xojo is the closest counterpart to it I can find)

Those days were the best!

[quote=196604:@chris benton]After spending a few hours trolling through the questions and answers on this forum, the thought occurred to me. What can’t Xojo do? This is not so much praise for the product, but appreciation for a pretty rounded language. So back to my question; What is it that Xojo cannot do?
Unacceptable answers include;
Make coffee.
Wash cars.
Do a cut and paste on the first right click.[/quote]

Oh there are several

Write drivers for Windows
Kernel extensions for OS X
Screen savers on OS X (they require you to subclass a specific class on OS X)
Writing DLL’s - which means no plugins for Photoshop, etc

BUT as far as APPs go the limiting factor is usually you’re imagination

[quote=196667:@chris benton]@Alain Bailleul For most everyday tasks pure Xojo is more than capable to use. The only thing I encounter in my (not everyday) experiments like Augmented Reality, advanced game and graphic manipulation techniques etc is that speed is not great in pure Xojo compared to other languages.
If we consider speed to be a contributor in the limitations of Xojo, does this mean that if we ran Xojo on the worlds fastest computer capable of processing Xojo, would this remove all of Xojo’s limitations? I think that Michels answer is probably more the case. Xojo is probably more hamstrung by its number crunching capabilities than the sum of its features.[/quote]

I would rather say those areas that Alain mentions would not be tackled with pure CPU code in every other language – advanced graphics and all that stuff are calculated on the GPU, using OS API features or, if you mastered GPU commands, your own code. Most of the things that cannot be done in pure Xojo are possible by the use of OS methods or specialized libraries. There are some special cases indeed where you would have to use a lot of tweaks to attain the result you want. Parallel processing being one that needs quite a bit more work than in Objective C and the like. But basically, especially with the advent of LLVM as 64bit compiler in future versions, there’s not many things that Xojo couldn’t do. Which doesn’t mean that sometimes the path is a winding one, especially when you go deeper into OS integration. But you can always with a very clearly readable, structured language, which IMHO in most cases easily compensates the effort.

When I hear this I long for assembler. As lightweight and quick as it ever could be.
Anyway, I have to close this browser now otherwise I end up with no production at all for today.
BTW ( @Tomas Jakobs ) no Koblenz this year…

Joost, ja some topics can really become both: distractive and addictive :wink:
And yes already was afraid, that Christian won’t organize a Con this year in Koblenz… he already travelled so far this year…

I was using PowerBasic for Windows along with VB6. Computation-intensive routines were typically much faster in PB than in VB. But string operations were (surprisingly) typically better in VB than in PB. I still have one win 32 DLL written in PBWin (which included a bit of in-line assembler!) that I am gradually retiring as I replace my authentication routines with XOJO crypto functionality. I never liked much the PBWin user interface tools, so I used it mostly for DLL’s.