WFS (Windows Functionality Suite) v2.5

Scott, I just sent a pull request with what looks like major changes, but they’re not. When you saved the project, it saved it using CR’s for the EOL in each file so I converted those to LF for compatibility. The other changes were removing deprecated items and such.

Ok, I will wait to make my changes until after your pull request has been merged just to make it a bit easier for me.

sorry for the delay… darn summer cold. I have merged your changes in. thanks!!

It took a little wrangling, but I managed to merge the changes back into my repo. If anyone has trouble doing that, I suggest you delete your repo and re-clone it. There shouldn’t be anything this dramatic in the future.

In MacOSLib, we introduced an About module that tracks a version (simple integer) with a change log as Notes. Anyone who makes changes increments the value of the integer and adds their release notes to the top. The point is that a downloader can check that version to see if their copy is the same as the new copy, something they can’t easily tell with WFS now. Good idea here too?

At any rate, I won’t do anything until Brandon does his thing.

With end of line changes it made git confused/angry/upset/etc… It took a little effort to merge your changes back into the master.

Yeah, in hindsight, I should have just described the problem and solution to you and let you take care of it in the original repo.

nah it is good for me to exercise my git skills. :slight_smile:

I just added a VERSION file that has the current version number in it. that was a great idea.

thanks
sb

Cool.

Brandon, let me know when you plan to do your thing and I will work around you.

I hope to work on that later tonight

Thank you for the efforts to bring WFS back to an active live again!

A short wrapup on the recent history, as far as I remember:
I was in contact with Aaron on puting WFS on a public code share end of 2010 when he mentioned he got an agreement with Norman to include the WFS as a Sample project. Short after this was also hosted on ARBP and 2.6 was released there. The WFS 2.5.2 was then delivered with RB as a Sample project till 2011r4, probably about the time Paul gave all the Samples a makeover. I don’t know if the 2.5.2 that was delivered at the end with RealStudio was a different fork then what the ARBP 2.6 was based on. The 2.6 however seem to be available earlier announcing 2010r5 compatibility while 2.5.2 of Dec 2010 announced 2011r1 compatibility.

For what’s worth - there isn’t a change log describing the version history in the current GIT repository, if I’m right. I’d love to see these merged together and readded to the repository.
Some resources I’ve put together:

• latest snapshot of Aarons site incl. a WFS change log: (there is quite some other stuff that seems worth to be kept, btw)
  • Readme of 2.5.2
  • WFS 2.5.2 as it was delivered with RS2011r4.2

The Links seem not to work. So does the edit post feature. Annother attempt:

better, at least. Let’s try plain text w/o markups :slight_smile:

( great, I just found the ‘preview’ checkbox in the upper right :wink: )

[quote=9915:@Tobias Bußmann]Thank you for the efforts to bring WFS back to an active live again!

A short wrapup on the recent history, as far as I remember:
I was in contact with Aaron on puting WFS on a public code share end of 2010 when he mentioned he got an agreement with Norman to include the WFS as a Sample project. Short after this was also hosted on ARBP and 2.6 was released there. The WFS 2.5.2 was then delivered with RB as a Sample project till 2011r4, probably about the time Paul gave all the Samples a makeover. I don’t know if the 2.5.2 that was delivered at the end with RealStudio was a different fork then what the ARBP 2.6 was based on. The 2.6 however seem to be available earlier announcing 2010r5 compatibility while 2.5.2 of Dec 2010 announced 2011r1 compatibility.

For what’s worth - there isn’t a change log describing the version history in the current GIT repository, if I’m right. I’d love to see these merged together and readded to the repository.
Some resources I’ve put together:

• latest snapshot of Aarons site incl. a WFS change log: (there is quite some other stuff that seems worth to be kept, btw)
  • Readme of 2.5.2
  • WFS 2.5.2 as it was delivered with RS2011r4.2 [/quote]

everything in 2.5.2 is in the repo. that was the most recent version I had. FRW was kind enough to get me a copy of 2.6 that was then put up there.

as for change log there is one. https://github.com/arbp/WFS/blob/master/ChangeLog.md
there is also a https://github.com/arbp/WFS/blob/master/README.md

so what is missing?

[quote=9918:@scott boss]as for change log there is one. https://github.com/arbp/WFS/blob/master/ChangeLog.md
so what is missing?[/quote]

Huh? I must have missed that. And there is already mentioned 2.5.2 along with 2.6.0. Brilliant!
Sorry for the noise…

[quote=9920:@Tobias Bußmann]Huh? I must have missed that. And there is already mentioned 2.5.2 along with 2.6.0. Brilliant!
Sorry for the noise…[/quote]

no please speak up. i rather have a little noise over missing something.

have a good one.!!

Scott, could you please add an little explanation about what WFS is in the README.md, for the newcomers? Maybe before the line “this is the code…”?

For example, for a hypothetical “linuxoslib” could be something like “The LinuxOSLib is collection of classes for Xojo, to interface Linux OS functions to provide OS specific functionality that the standard Xojo framework doesn’t offer. It even has some cross-platform functionality in order to access Linux specific data on OS X and Windows”.

This is Aaron’s official WFS description (taken from his webpage archive):

“The Windows Functionality Suite (previously known as the Win32 Declare Library) is a collection of Windows-specific functionality that is not readily available in a free format. It is an open source collaboration that I am currently heading up to bring to users all of the specialized Windows functionality that is not included with REALbasic itself.”

I’d still like to add an “About” module that includes this, release notes, and an iteration (if not “version”).

Is it possible to place a link to the new home of WFS to the doc wiki at Page Not Found — Xojo documentation ? Would be great if someone from Xojo, maybe @Paul Lefebvre ? can chime in? (with this I try the Forum’s notification feature)