WFS (Windows Functionality Suite) v2.5

Why can’t you just subclass the listbox and get on with it?

Me? If, for my needs, and if, a subclassed listbox by any chance is the solution for this need, I’ll do it. But all this conversation is not about me or listboxes. I don’t even know what are the desires of the community for the listbox component that Norman told. Norman pointed that there is a community necessity for a enhanced Listbox to replace the current one (don’t even know what they are), so if it’s a community necessity, and Xojo by whatever reason will postpone, the fast solution is the community help in the solution. I am not involved, I just pointed the solution.
Sorry if this answer does not respond your questions. From this point on I will be a little bit repetitive. :slight_smile:

I’ve tried to understand where your coming from from but what you’ve suggested is not a solution. You’ve basically said that if Xojo haven’t got the time then hand over the code so the community can do it. You realise Xojo are a commercial company don’t you?

[Sarcasm]
Actually - thinking about it - what a great idea…

Geoff - could you put all your codebase unto GitHub for us. You know, the code you guys sell that puts food on the tables of not just yourself but all the Xojo crew.

While we’re at it. Brad/Bob/Christian and anyone else that sells their software to earn a living and put a roof over their heads… Could you do the same as well please.

You know - in the spirit of open-source collaboration and evolution!
[/Sarcasm]

Patrick, you painted a very unreal canvas, but as I am tired of this kind of conversation, and will stop defending the collaborative work here. For the satisfaction of those who fights against it and for my peace. Have a nice day, Patrick.

Nobody is against collaborative work. We’re just for “work”. Please find an actual project you’re passionate about. There is plenty of room for people who have something to contribute, whether it’s commercial, free, personal, open source, or whatever. We’re not even against organizing. But you have to have credibility here to do that. The best way to build credibility is to contribute something. I’m pretty confident that going over that hurdle will give you an understanding of why people don’t like to be organized for its own sake.

I must have done something wrong, but I can’t figure out what. I forked WFS to my own account, then cloned it to my Mac. So far, so good, but when I try to open it, it can’t find any of the supporting classes, and the main folder is devoid of any subfolders. While asking for the supporting files, Xojo creates another folder next to my repo folder called Windows Functionality Suite 2.6, and then creates empty subfolders within that.

What am I missing?

[quote=9223:@Kem Tekinay]I must have done something wrong, but I can’t figure out what. I forked WFS to my own account, then cloned it to my Mac. So far, so good, but when I try to open it, it can’t find any of the supporting classes, and the main folder is devoid of any subfolders. While asking for the supporting files, Xojo creates another folder next to my repo folder called Windows Functionality Suite 2.6, and then creates empty subfolders within that.

What am I missing?[/quote]

Kem, send me a picture of the error messages you are seeing. I will try to help figure out the issue is. I might have done something wrong with the code.

scott @ nocturnalcodingmoneys.com

thanks…
sb

[quote=9226:@scott boss]Kem, send me a picture of the error messages you are seeing. I will try to help figure out the issue is. I might have done something wrong with the code.

scott @ nocturnalcodingmoneys.com

thanks…
sb[/quote]

I think I might have found the issue. and it is not you… I ran into a bug in the Save-AS menu item. let me see what I can do.

sb

Did you just give me the “it’s not you, it’s me” speech? :slight_smile:

OK, standing by, just let us know.

[quote=9236:@Kem Tekinay]Did you just give me the “it’s not you, it’s me” speech? :slight_smile:

OK, standing by, just let us know.[/quote]

yes yes it was… but this time it was true. All the files that you are missing were external binary files so when I converted the RBP file over to VCP format, all the externals didnt get changed nor get saved to the new location. I went through and pulled them all in as internals and resaved the file as VCP. you should be golden now. if there is anything else I missed, please ping me.

thanks
sb

Looks good now. Are you taking contributions (not that I have anything to add, per se)?

Unlikely we’re going to open the sources.
You’d be better off starting a community project to build once from scratch since it’d just be an x-platform plugin in XCode (to support 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8) ,VS on Windows & gcc with a make file on linux to support the various versions of Linux & GTK.
Simple :stuck_out_tongue:
I suppose you could write one entirely as a custom canvas subclass

Either way I’m sure the community would welcome the effort

One thing: The TreeView class conflicts with the Einhugur plugin. It might be too late in the game for this, but perhaps stick all of your classes in a WFS module?

yes. hell yes. anything that adds to the project will be accepted.

that is a good idea. we didn’t write the code. we just are the guardians of the code once aaron left the RB world.

Scott,

I would like to move the WFS around to make it more compatible with other libraries and plugin’s.

You said you would like me to put it in to a module named WFS and make the functions protected?

I was going to clean up some of the unused variables, so we should coordinate our efforts to prevent conflicts. I can do that today, but will hold off if you prefer to move the classes first.

Brandon & Kem,

why dont you coordinate your changes and I will pull them into the hub.

Brandon,

if we pull in the classes to a module named WFS then we shouldnt be getting conflicts with other plugins. I dont think we need to make them private or protected. I could be wrong. I think just putting them in a module, will get rid of the conflict problems.

thanks!
sb

I think he meant “public” vs “global”. There is no “protected” for a class in a module, and “public” will require them to be accessed as “WFS.ClassName”. “Global” will avoid the error message too (I just tested this), but will lead to ambiguity. Yes, that will require that people change their code with the next release, but better to pull that bandaid off now, right?

The other way to handle it is to leave the classes in place and append “WFS” to the name of each class or public method. “TreeView” becomes “TreeViewWFS”, etc. That will allow you to leave the current folder organization in place.

Yes that is what I mean but in the IDE you change the scope to “Protected”.

This is what I would prefere but I can make these changes ether way.

OK for me to make some minor changes first? (Remove unused variables and the like?)