Web App hosting/deploying

Is there a comprehensive guide on:

1. which hosting companies to use compatibility and cost considered.
  2. guide on how to deploy

Some time back I had a Bluehost VPS with root access enabled… I attempted to install all the 32 bit libs and continually got stuck with port errors after hosting a CGI app. And now XOJO has this incredibly outrageous server cost to make things easy, which is all well and good but … some of us guys just need a guide and can’t afford that.

I have searched for this guide, but have not found it, can someone link me if they know of one.

For what it’s worth, what we offer is a managed VPS service. We maintain the OS, Security Updates, Firewall and IDS and make sure it stays compatible with the IDE. Anyone can go out and rent a Virtual Private Server, but you’d better know what you’re doing or be willing to learn.

This is taken care of for you with Xojo Cloud.

Here’s a paper I have been putting together for my customers.

http://studiostable.com/files/Web%20Host%20Landscape%20Note.pdf

FWIW, the trust in cloud storage is broken (for europe customers), in special when the cloud company seats in the USA. So sensitive data don’t belong into the cloud, that means no business data and no sensitive private data.

It would be great, if there are easy Xojo deployment methods (including manuals) for deploying the web apps on Windows and Linux servers to the given hosting infrastructures here in europe, asia…

FWIW, we introduced Xojo Cloud London today.

[quote=119805:@Torsten Gaidies]It would be great, if there are easy Xojo deployment methods (including manuals) for deploying the web apps on Windows and Linux servers to the given hosting infrastructures here in europe, asia…
[/quote]

Yeah. It won’t come from Xojo. And it’s quite a task to document and explain even one deployment case, and then keep that explanation updated as things change. If you don’t want to get your hands dirty, you’ll probably have to hire somebody.

I think Torsten is referring to the US Patriot Act.

My understanding that is if the company ultimately storing the data is a US one, even though the data may be stored in a European datacentre, the US government can get their grubby little paws on it.

Regardless of reason, his requirement is pretty clear:

[quote=119813:@Patrick Delaney]I think Torsten is referring to the US Patriot Act.

My understanding that is if the company ultimately storing the data is a US one, even though the data may be stored in a European datacentre, the US government can get their grubby little paws on it.
[/quote]

Yes, that was what I meant. I believe in Xojo Inc but not in the US government and there “grubby little paws”.

So easy deployment on existing hosting solutions in europe and elsewhere can help to make Xojo Web apps more acceptable for sensitive data apps.

Just my 2 cents.

Something to read about this

ars technica

I would not quote XC as “Incredibly outrageous server cost”. More expensive, certainly. But for a corporate use, $50 a month is hardly the end of the world.

Tell me if I am wrong, but is there not a requirement for German companies to host in Germany when they have sensitive information ?

From a post of Harry Meyer here https://forum.xojo.com/5753-hosting-options?search=germany it appears mandatory to have a German host.

Let alone after the NSA scandal, it would make sense to be cautious before handing confidential data to US data centers, including XC. And UK being part of the same spying game, nobody knows if a data center in London is any safer.

In Europe, I am renting from OVH, who has data centers in Germany, and have always appreciated their service.

[quote=119813:@Patrick Delaney]I think Torsten is referring to the US Patriot Act.

My understanding that is if the company ultimately storing the data is a US one, even though the data may be stored in a European datacentre, the US government can get their grubby little paws on it.[/quote]

The issue is of special concern since it seems the spying is not limited to tracking malfeasant actions. Some high ranking officials have implied that all kind of data could be fair game, including corporate intelligence. The industrious little paws are also greedy …

[quote=119828:@Torsten Gaidies]Something to read about this
ars technica[/quote]

If it was USSR and Finland, some would find that preposterous. But the US and Ireland, come on :wink:

Hello Michel,

It is not a requirement per law, but from the companies itself. The companies are getting mor sensible with securing their data.

Sorry,
I don’t understand the meaning.

[quote=119834:@Torsten Gaidies]Michel Bujardet If it was USSR and Finland, some would find that preposterous. But the US and Ireland, come on :wink:
Sorry,
I don’t understand the meaning.[/quote]

Sorry. The reference maybe a bit old now. During the cold war, Finland was not part of the Soviet Union, though it was much too close to it for comfort. So it could not refuse anything to it’s neighbour. This part of the link you posted prompted my reaction:

The situation for Ireland, which is after all a sovereign country, not being able to refuse anything to powerful US, reminded me of Finland.

Bet it’s only mutual in one direction :wink:

It’s amazing how the phrase “National Security” is being used by the US government for some pretty shady things. And yet, most other countries simply bend over and let the good ole USA shaft them royally. There will be a backlash, think bugging Angela Merkel’s phone will start that!

I also sit in a country that is too close to refuse anything to the 800 pound gorilla south of the border. My right brain hates the idea, but my left brain says it’s better to go with the flow… In the mean time, sensitive information is best stored locally. This assumes of course that there is not a secret back door planted by the NSA in the Linux and FreeBSD systems used to secure my little network. (my paranoid right brain says it is likely that there is such a back door, my left brain says I am just small fry and completely irrelevant anyway.)

Seriously, it is a growing concern. It will be interesting to see in the coming years how this concern is going to affect the cloud trend.

[quote=119875:@Louis Desjardins]I also sit in a country that is too close to refuse anything to the 800 pound gorilla south of the border. My right brain hates the idea, but my left brain says it’s better to go with the flow… In the mean time, sensitive information is best stored locally. This assumes of course that there is not a secret back door planted by the NSA in the Linux and FreeBSD systems used to secure my little network. (my paranoid right brain says it is likely that there is such a back door, my left brain says I am just small fry and completely irrelevant anyway.)

Seriously, it is a growing concern. It will be interesting to see in the coming years how this concern is going to affect the cloud trend.[/quote]

Up until the mid 1980’s, IBM sold 5250 systems to insurance companies because the terminals of these minis were dumb and could not leak information. The absolute defense against NSA prying eyes could simply be not to connect your system to the Internet. Sure, in our cloud age, it seems difficult. But not impossible for precise tasks. Of course, then, staff will complain they cannot connect to Facebook and Twitter. But is that really necessary at work ? :wink:

Facebook and Twitter, no problem. But how could I live without my Xojo Forum?

most places i go lately just tell you to use your own phone on the cellular network if you want anything non-work related
or even if you want something work-related but unsanctioned by the powers that be.