Web App hosting/deploying

If you prize your data confidentiality, then the serious stuff is not connected, and you use your own laptop to connect to the Internet.

[quote=119884:@Russ Lunn]most places i go lately just tell you to use your own phone on the cellular network if you want anything non-work related
or even if you want something work-related but unsanctioned by the powers that be.[/quote]

It took a while for the corporate world to realize the productivity lost to online activity. But it was bound to happen.

I once said to my wife & kids “The internet is a sink hole for time”
That still holds true esp with Facebook twitter etc
And that really doesn’t belong at work

My wife works in a secured govt facility & they cannot access most of the internet from there
Searched on the way in & out - every day

I don’t use FaceBook and I’m not a heavy user of Twitter but there are other sites that I find myself checking as soon as my mind starts wandering. Sometimes, to get work done, I add the sites that distract me most to my hosts file, with a loopback address.

They’re my most productive days :slight_smile:

[quote]chris ridgeway is not verified 14 hours ago
Is there a comprehensive guide on:

which hosting companies to use compatibility and cost considered.
guide on how to deploy[/quote]

I’ve had good luck with HardhatHosting.com. Their staff was very helpful getting everything set up and it always runs unless I forget to set the permissions.

@Thorsten: This is not correct. Sensitive information like taxes etc can only be stored in Germany for Germans. I don’t remember which other information may need to stay in country.

I wouldn’t trust the english persons with the GH something alphabet soup really much more than the american persons. They have their fingers in as many pies as the NSA.

Hello Beatrix
some data are more sensitive than others, so it may be the case that in special cases there may be a law for that. It would be helpful if you could share a link for that. In the other case, we have Datenschutzrichtlinien .

There is a big difference using this guides for storing the data and how to work with this data. This guides describes who may have access to the personally data to work with. The storing side is another case.
The hoster has access to the servers and the servers software. So it also depends how much trust the hoster gets and whom he belongs to, even if he has a data centre in Germany.

But there is no law that forbids me to put my sensitive business data like business model, business data into the cloud. Customers data have to be protected, but it is possible see google mail, or microsoft solutions or amzazon storage services. But how much trust get this one? ars technica

I like to open a thread in the german part of this forums to discuss the german Datenschutz effects.

man … i really sparked up some convo… somehow. This turned into the watercooler

What if your app has 1,000 to 10,000 users operating your app on the web at the same time… does xojo provide something that can accomodate that ?

I plead guilty to non technical comments.

However, the issue of German regulation about data hosting and confidentiality is not really a watercooler issue.

Any topic outside the scope of the topic of conversation is “really” a water cooler issue :wink:
Thanks for all your help guys, I think that document regarding different options will help a lot. Cheers.

Going completely off-topic
Chris, your avatar looks remarkably like a famous (infamous?) photo of the Yorkshire ripper!! Killed 13 women in the UK late 70’s/early 80’s. Not a good look!

[quote=120073:@chris ridgeway]Any topic outside the scope of the topic of conversation is “really” a water cooler issue :wink:
Thanks for all your help guys, I think that document regarding different options will help a lot. Cheers.[/quote]

If contributions were made by computers, they would never be what you call watercooler issues. But we are humans, and human beings tend to expand beyond the limits of a query. You got your answers, some other participants who had other questions about hosting (which country) found extensions to the dry topic of the thread. It is a natural process in any human conversation.

Chris, please start a new conversation instead.