Web-App doesn't start after updating to 2018-R1.1

Let me see if I get it.

As far as I know, cpanel is “nothing more” than a set of libraries, applications, etc. that helps in configuring the server, its hosts, databases, etc.

it does not “overwrite”, nor even “nullifies” the base operating system.
right?

(if i’m wrong, xojo.inc guys MUST say on the documentation that it ONLY WORKS ON “PLAIN” operating system.)

another point: is there no interest in xojo.inc to investigate in order to better guide its users?

because now I have a bigger problem, in front of several suggestions telling me to change my servers …

I have some applications from different clients hosted on the same host. it’ll be crazy for me to have to change hosts!
the most sensible, not only for me, but for all users, to know PREVIOUSLY what are the incompatibilities of xhojo with this or that configuration.

say that is compatible with Linux / CentOS and forget to put the fine print that does not work with cPanel is really unacceptable.

is the same as saying that it is compatible with MacOS, but if you put your mac next to a window where it hits the sun, it will stop working …

Alexandre, I will be hard for Xojo to find the problem with your host provider if they can’t test/have control of the real configuration.

Your provider did say:

it's not "plain vanilla" CentOS. This is a cPanel server, cPanel often has its own libraries and implementations [i][b]that interact quite differently with third party software[/b][/i].

There is a Cpanel trial for 15 days.

What we know:
1.- Xojo 2017r3 works with your host provider
2.- Xojo 2018 doesn’t work with your host provider, but it works with other hosts
3.- Your host provider uses Cpanel

What we don’t know:
1.- If Xojo 2018 is not compatible with Cpanel or just with your host provider

What I would do if I have more linux/VPS experience:
1.- Create a CentOS installation with Digital Ocean or Vultr
2.- Install the libraries needed to make Xojo 2018 web apps work there
3.- Download/install the Cpanel 15 day trial
4.- Make sure it works or it doesn’t work
If it works, then there is something missing with your host. If it doesn’t work, then repeat the test with other CentOS version or maybe Ubuntu, test Cpanel again.

If we can prove that Cpanel is incompatible with Xojo 2018, then Xojo should add that information to the documents. Then, they can use that information to find what is missing/wrong with Xojo 2018 and Cpanel.

Good luck

Just create a CentOS VM in your machine and test. If it’s ok, install Cpanel, create a Cpanel user account, use it as a client, upload app as usual, check everything, and test again.

To install the Cpanel trial, go to your “Linux server” terminal and:

cd /home && curl -o cpanel_installer latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest && sh cpanel_installer

already created. it’s working. so i think the problem is cpanel.

[quote=392403:@Rick Araujo]To install the Cpanel trial, go to your “Linux server” terminal and:

cd /home && curl -o cpanel_installer latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest && sh cpanel_installer

Excellent!

I’ll do it tonight!!

[quote=392397:@Alberto De Poo]Alexandre, I will be hard for Xojo to find the problem with your host provider if they can’t test/have control of the real configuration.

Your provider did say:

it's not "plain vanilla" CentOS. This is a cPanel server, cPanel often has its own libraries and implementations [i][b]that interact quite differently with third party software[/b][/i].

There is a Cpanel trial for 15 days.

What we know:
1.- Xojo 2017r3 works with your host provider ?
2.- Xojo 2018 doesn’t work with your host provider, but it works with other hosts ?
3.- Your host provider uses Cpanel ?

What we don’t know:
1.- If Xojo 2018 is not compatible with Cpanel or just with your host provider will check tonight

What I would do if I have more linux/VPS experience:
1.- Create a CentOS installation with Digital Ocean or Vultr ?
2.- Install the libraries needed to make Xojo 2018 web apps work there ?
3.- Download/install the Cpanel 15 day trial will do it tonight

4.- Make sure it works or it doesn’t work
If it works, then there is something missing with your host. If it doesn’t work, then repeat the test with other CentOS version or maybe Ubuntu, test Cpanel again.

If we can prove that Cpanel is incompatible with Xojo 2018, then Xojo should add that information to the documents. Then, they can use that information to find what is missing/wrong with Xojo 2018 and Cpanel. i hope so!

Good luck[/quote]

Hello guys!

centos 7.5 + cpanel on my VMware…

worked!…

so now i’ll contact my provider. thank you very much!!

After a new ticket on my provider, the answer…

So i’ll install the 2.6 linux kernel and check if it works or not.

My VMWare CentOS 7.5 Cpanel Kernel: 3.10.0-862.3.3.el7.x86_64

My Host Centos 7.2 Cpanel Kernel: 2.6.32-042stab128.2

i’m trying to install older kernel on my vmware, but not success yet.

Hello @Alexandre Cunha,

Looks like your Hosting Provider is using Virtuozzo System (or the “Free” Version: OpenVZ as VM Host-System. That Kernel 2.6. is a special Kernel used only by Virtuozzo and OpenVZ (and even the only in the RHEL 6.x Version).

Best Regards,

R. Landscheidt

Yes, the Virtualization environment is OpenVZ.

I confirmed.

So, compiled CGi, 64-bit for Centos 7, with virtualization environment OpenVZ, with Xojo 2018r1.1 DOES NOT WORK.

On documentation only says “CentOS 7” is compatible…

I’m running 2018r1.1 on centos7 containers with no problems. I just had to run the following to solve dependencies.

yum -y install libsoup libunwind.x86_64

libunwind.x86_64 was the tricky package name for 2018r1.X

Edit:
I see the OP says you have already installed libunwind.x86_64 so this might not help you.

[quote=392778:@Daniel Wilson]I’m running 2018r1.1 on centos7 containers with no problems. I just had to run the following to solve dependencies.

yum -y install libsoup libunwind.x86_64

libunwind.x86_64 was the tricky package name for 2018r1.X

Edit:
I see the OP says you have already installed libunwind.x86_64 so this might not help you.[/quote]

Yes, it’s all required libraries installed, and it does not work!

It’s an incompatibility problem with OpenVZ, and i think it’s because of “old” kernel version.

Xojo inc. does not say anything about kernel versions, or cpanel, or openVZ incompatibilities.

… so… i’m f###ed…

I have this app about 10 years, hosted at various providers, with no problem.
after many years finding the best cost provider, with best server processor, memory, etc… now i do not know what i’ll do, because this new compiled version on 2018r1.1 does not work.

and no one at xojo.inc are concerned to try to really go deep and find out how to fix this (not only for me, of course, but for everyone i’m sure will have this problem on near future).

Sorry Alexandre that this is happening to you.

I see that new Xojo version need newer OS all the time. I see people working with older Xojo versions to support older OS. Do you really need Xojo 2018 for your app? Maybe you can use Xojo 2017 for some time, maybe OpenVZ will upgrade in the future.

FYI, I still have the same problem. Web app compiled in 2018R1, or 2018R1.1 do NOT work! 2017R3 - no problem!
What gives???
Tim

[quote=392958:@Alberto De Poo]Sorry Alexandre that this is happening to you.

I see that new Xojo version need newer OS all the time. I see people working with older Xojo versions to support older OS. Do you really need Xojo 2018 for your app? Maybe you can use Xojo 2017 for some time, maybe OpenVZ will upgrade in the future.[/quote]

Well… if i can use a newer version, to get better results, functionalities, etc, etc… WHY i’ll use the older version?…

I’m really upset with xojo.inc, because they are doing “nothing” to fix this.

On documentation does not say anywhere the “minimum kernel version” or any other incompatibility information.

And… believe or not, they “CLOSED” my case on FEEDBACK…

[quote=393030:@Tim Seyfarth]FYI, I still have the same problem. Web app compiled in 2018R1, or 2018R1.1 do NOT work! 2017R3 - no problem!
What gives???
Tim[/quote]

I need more people to email Jason Parsley jason@xojo.com asking him about a fix for this…

Do you know other people with the same problem?

Alex

Sorry Alexandre, English is not my first language and maybe I can’t translate my ideas into words.

I think Tim’s problem is with Raspberry and is not related with this problem (that’s what Jason and Greg said).

I understand that you are angry, but I don’t see how you expect Xojo to help you. Your host provider said: Our VPS platform runs on specially-modified 2.6 Linux kernel, do you really think that when Xojo put the requirement to run the software do they mean that any ‘specially-modified’ installations should also work? Will you be less angry if Paul add a note saying that if the Linux installation is modified in any special way the web apps may not run? Do you expect Xojo to buy hosting with your provider and expend X amount of time just to fix this for you?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending Xojo, 2018 version is far from perfect, what I’m trying to say, if I were you I’ll try to give Xojo more information/tools and even access to the VPS (a new installation for them to try).

If you can’t help them try in your environment and they don’t have access to it, they won’t be able to see if they can change something in their end to make the web apps work.

I don’t know if Xojo 2018 is having problems with the ‘specially-modified kernel’ only, or other things that your VPS changed, so I think is vital that Xojo Inc can test with your VPS, they do have the option to say that they don’t support modified installations.

Really I’m sorry, I do hope that a later version of Xojo will work with your host provider, but what is happening now is that the latest release at this point doesn’t work.

Yes! Of course, yes!

I really can’t accept i’m using a 2017 version and after an upgrade to 2018, the app does not work!
It’s like you update your “windows” and it stops to work because this new version does not work with a specific sound card or another thing. (AND THERE ARE NO INFORMATION ABOUT THIS ANY WHERE)

Just for me?… I think if you wait some weeks or months, other users will may have the same problems. They din’t notice yet, because they didn’t updat their projects with 2018 version…

No one asked my access to my VPS. It can be made! My provider has a 30-day trial vps… No problem at all.
I also talked them about this, and they are very flexible and want to help!

Alex