Upgrade Big Sur to Monterey?

I have some downtime and was thinking of upgrading my main work laptop from Big Sur to Monterey now that Monterey 12.1 is out and presumably a little more stable.

Here are the apps I need to work:

• Xojo 2019r1.1 (I’m already using the Big Sur hack here Big Sur and Xojo 2019 to 2021 - #4 by Jürg_Otter I assume it still works in Monterey?)
  • Xojo 20121r3.1
  • XCode
  • Cornerstone 3.0.3 (willing to upgrade to v4 if needed)
  • Transmit SFTP
  • Keynote
  • FileMaker 19
  • AppleRemoteDesktop
  • SuperDuper
  • VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Any issues I should be aware of?

Monterey 12.1 works fine for me.
Make sure your plugins are up to date.

You didn’t mention if your laptop running Big Sur was Intel or M1 based, but I’ll assume Intel based since you mention VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop.

But be aware you may have to upgrade XCode if running say XCode 12.5.1 or whatever. Monterey cannot run anything below XCode 13 (to my knowledge). At least that is true on my M1 machines. I don’t have an Intel machine on Monterey; just older macOS releases.

Monterey is no more stable for me than Big Sur was. I still get kernel panics every couple of days.

1 Like

Likewise.

Meanwhile my wife, who’s still running 10.9 Mavericks now has an uptime of years. Meanwhile I’ve struggled to keep Macs running more than a month since 10.13. Kernel Panics, weird ■■■■ that only goes away with a restart. Flaky peripheral support, Rogue Apple processes chewing through CPU and now Apple processes leaking memory.

A new one I found yesterday was the inability to delete certain files from the Terminal even with sudo. Yet I can drag them to the Trash with the Finder…

How was it before you add your usual add ons and applications (from Big Sur to Monterey, not to Xojo) ?

How it is when you use only one application running ?

Mind that you need the latest beta of Superduper in order to have a chance creating a bootable image. I temporary moved to CCC, which is ok but doesn’t deliver a bootable disk either.

CCC ?

Carbon Copy Cloner
https://bombich.com

MacMini i7 late 2012, running macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”): up 150 days, 21:56, 2 users
MacMini i5, mid 2011, running maOS 10.13 (“huighSierra”): up 245 days, 14:48, 2 users

Reboot only neccessary if software updates need them.

Monterey is running fine on my MacPro late 2013 - no kernel panics etc. Current uptime is shorten because of the latest software updates…

Thankls. Google returns nothing close to that…

What about file system ?

Of course, if you never write into your HDD… and fire an application that needs 1MB of Free Memory (never more than that), I do not see any need for a reboot (but I am quite sure there are some needs).

But, when you write hundred of small (or not) files each and everyday of the year (and deleting some every days), run muyltiple application (until Virtual Memory runs ON), etc., you will very fast need a reboot:
some application features start to … stop working,
copy / paste start to be difficult (and|or slow),
the whole computer is slow as a snail…
you’re starting to complain?.

Reboot as fast as you can !

Now, if you are looking to beat the longest boot time record (longest session without reboot) … to be in the Guiness Book of Records…:grinning:

1 Like

Seems to be an Apple “feature”…
Due to SIP Apple does prevent access to some files even for “root” user. I had this e.g. after a system update where old left over files could not removed.
You need to reboot into recovery mode, disable SIP, reboot and delete the files. Now you can re-enable SIP with another recovery boot.

This is called “user friendly” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Don’t know how you are working, but those two MacMinis are used as database servers (FileMaker and VServer), controlled via RemoteDesktop, some local applications are used. RAM is sometimes swapped as Java is a little bit greedy…

CCC does offer the creation of a bootable disk, as a legacy feature. Because of the nature of the Sealed System Volume on Big Sur+, it requires initializing the backup disk before starting. Thereafter, normal backups only address the Data volume.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like 12.1 vs 11.6 is “not necessarily better nor worse” and I may go ahead and give it a try.

Re: SuperDuper - I tried to make a bootable encrypted backup following the instructions (which require you to boot into the unencrypted backup and enable fileVault) but the boot never finished. I gave up and just decided to backup the user data only on an encrypted APFS drive, which works fine.

(somewhat related) if you are using TimeMachine, one should note that under BigSur, TimeMachine seems much happier (faster) if you reformat your backup drive to APFS.

AFAIK, you don’t have a choice. But yes, the difference in performance is delightful. :slight_smile:

Was the file actualy a file, or perhaps a hard or soft link? Also, note that folder names can be localized - for example in the finder, the name of my VMWare Fusion folder is
~/Documents/Virtual Machines
but in terminal it’s
~/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized

Taking the 12.1 plunge now, I hope to report back soon with good news :slight_smile:

I’m pleased to say that the upgrade from (Intel) 11.6 to 12.1 has been uneventful, at least so far.