Upgrade Big Sur to Monterey?

The read only system volume is a great feature.
This prevents a whole set of attacks.

And please never disable SIP and keep a close look on what apps you give full disk access (basically only backup tools). There are a lot of things that can go wrong.

1 Like

It was a file, using the command line (with sudo) I got the error "Operation Not Permitted’ which is usually associated with permission (which I had), I didn’t dig in too deep because I could delete it from the Finder, but I suspect it had the stupid “com.apple.macl” xattr.

It also means that when your Mac crashes, chances are it is NOT because of 3rd Party software or extensions.

So I wonder why my MacPro late 2013 is not allowed to upgrade to Monterey.
Only to BigSur.

MacPro (late 2013) aka TrashCan is officially supported by Apple to run Monterey: macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

Sorry, my bad. I thought MacBookPro.

Which attacks does it prevent? Have there been any rootkit equivalents for macOS? The only attacks on macOS are easily preventable LaunchAgents. Another attack was via Safari for an old Safari version with a known bug which Apple didn’t fix for over half a year.

Money Money Money… gotta pay more Apple Tax if you wanna run Monterey.

Wait Wait Wait… until machine goes down

10 hours a day (or more)…

You do not say they were server machines in your original entry. My comment cannot apply in that case (I think).

I also waited for Monterey 12.1 and I have to say it works fine. I only have issues sometimes when I click on my clock in the right upper corner. Sometimes it won’t open.