the quarter of 2014 is near... and in which situation is the announced IOS support

many people here tell me : “patience”
ok i/we have been patient for 2 years from when it was announced support for ios
At this time i/we have lost business.
i/we could not produce apps for ios
I now think that the answer will be :
“its ready when its ready” or “late quarter of 2015”
and history will be repeated !!!

[quote=128201:@Jury Buono]many people here tell me : “patience”
ok i/we have been patient for 2 years from when it was announced support for ios
At this time i/we have lost business.
i/we could not produce apps for ios
I now think that the answer will be :
“its ready when its ready” or “late quarter of 2015”
and history will be repeated !!![/quote]

If your business depends on it, you do not wait, you use another product. That is what I did with Livecode, that is what other people have done with Objective-C, Xamarin or something else. Stop losing business. Take charge.

is true that i can use another development environment
but stands to lose more time in learning a new language
Time is like water, a finite amount of resource, exhaustible and valuable

Use what IS actually available & shipping.
Selling clients & projects based on whats coming is not prudent business.

True, I should have thought before buying the pro version of realstudio/xojo
and before i have dedicated time to learn how to use this new language/environment

[quote=128216:@Jury Buono]True, I should have thought before buying the pro version of realstudio/xojo
and before i have dedicated time to learn how to use this new language/environment[/quote]
While I understand the impatience for iOS, unless they promised you a special license with iOS included, you got exactly what you paid for with your Real Studio/Xojo license.

As an alpha tester, I can’t comment on Xojo/iOS but I will just say that I have confidence in what they’ve said publicly this year.

One reason Xojo Inc quit saying “here’s what coming in the future” was almost exactly this sort of situation.
People took the statements as promises that things would be shipping soon and made plans etc based on that and when / if things happened to delay the release of said new feature(s) then the company & staff would get really beaten up about not fulfilling promises.

I can tell you that long ago I was one of those people who said “But you promised” (ask geoff if you care to)

And while iOS isn’t released it IS real - alpha testers can attest to that

The amount of work to get to this point has been enormous.
There’s been a lot of new compiler work (since we can’t use the old compiler for iDevices as they are ARM based), new debugger capabilities, all the IDE changes, new framework and all the rest of normal bug fixing & improvements. And theres been no small amount of redesign along the way.
Huge is truly an understatement.

ok and now announces apple iphone 6
so probably apple will produce a new version of ios
then I am afraid that this will become the new excuse for further delay the release of xojo for Ios :frowning:

[quote=128223:@Jury Buono]ok and now announces apple iphone 6
so probably apple will produce a new version of ios
then I am afraid that this will become the new excuse for further delay the release of xojo for Ios :([/quote]

New systems are a part of life. You cannot live in fear of the future. Or are you already so old you cannot simply live in the present ?

[quote=128216:@Jury Buono]True, I should have thought before buying the pro version of realstudio/xojo
and before i have dedicated time to learn how to use this new language/environment[/quote]

Xojo Pro does not include iOS target, you will have to pay for that.
As Gavin said, you already got exactly what you paid for.

Then if you now take a look on upcoming events like Christian’s MBS Developer Conference you we’ll see actual iOS sessions scheduled, that means to me that iOS is a reality and truly coming in the next few months.

Just keep waiting.

ok,matteo, xojo pro non includeva il supporto di ios, ma fin dall’inizio del 2013 si parlava del supporto di ios, e non era chiaro se sarebbe stato integrato o no nella versione di xojo pro. anzi all’inizio sembrava che ne avrebbe fatto parte e poi invece pareva che dovesse essere una licenza aggiuntiva. il tutto non giustifica affatto tutta questa attesa, tempestata di annunci che poi sono stati ritrattati alla scadenza. Non sono stati rispettati neanche i tempi di rilascio degli aggiornamenti … 90 giorni dichiarati nelle caratteristiche. Se poi uno basa il suo sviluppo su questo prodotto , arrivandoci da vb, vorrebbe che quel che e’ stato promesso o annunciato non venisse sempre disatteso. Adesso e’ un sacco di tempo che dicono che sono il alfa test ed ancora niente, nel frattempo fanno campagne di sconti per i nuovi acquisti e non per i rinnovi. Non mi sembra un modo di procedere corretto. Quando poi ti viene anche risposto che il supporto di ios sar pronto quando sar pronto, la cosa ti fa anche arrabbiare pi del dovuto. Io non ho tempo ne capacit per imparare ambienti complicati come quello messo a disposizione da apple. Vedo comunque sfuggire varie occasioni in cui potrei creare delle app e la cosa mi innervosisce, sporattutto dopo 2 anni di attesa. Comunque se la parola magica e’ attendi, io attendo. se poi esce qualcosa di pi semplice ed economico, abbandono xojo e butto via i soldi che ci ho investito. Per me rimane un atteggiamento non professionale. Mi spiace di aver scritto in italiano ma non sarei stato capace di scrivere questa cosa in inglese, se qualcuno vuole la traduca pure.

Capisco benissimo la tua frustrazione, l’ho sofferta anche io in passato. Ma comprendo la difficolt del progetto e sono fiducioso che il prodotto finale sar di gran lunga superiore a qualsiasi altro tool di sviluppo sul mercato… b eccezione fatta per XCode/Swift :slight_smile:

I understand your frustration, I too have suffered it in the past. But I understand the complexity of the project and are confident that the final product will be far superior to any other development tool on the market… well except for Xcode/Swift :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to have written in Italian but I would not have been able to write this thing in English, if someone wants to translate it as well.

1. “updates every 90 days” - read FAQ question #1 - the reality is that 2012 is the only time we did not meet the “every 90 days” and with the release of Xojo we changed that to be quarterly for reasons I already stated.

2. iOS support IS currently in alpha - not beta. Once it hits beta beta testers will get access to it. We’re not quite there yet but we’re getting closer. Ask any alpha tester if its real and I guarantee the answer is “Most certainly!”

3. Most importantly - use what you have now - if you base your business on whats promised to be coming you’d never write anything as there’s always something bigger better faster easier coming along. In the mean time your competitors will have taken all your customers as they ARE delivering applications for them now using whatever is required.

[quote=128221:@Norman Palardy]
The amount of work to get to this point has been enormous.
There’s been a lot of new compiler work (since we can’t use the old compiler for iDevices as they are ARM based), new debugger capabilities, all the IDE changes, new framework and all the rest of normal bug fixing & improvements. And theres been no small amount of redesign along the way.
Huge is truly an understatement.[/quote]

As someone who couldn’t care less about the addition of IOS as a target, the quoted statement above is what scares me the most. As we all know, even some of what were thought to be easy bug fixes have caused regressions. As we also know, Xojo does not have a stellar record for their initial release of new features. As for new features, they usually just get to a point where they feel they can no longer keep pushing it back and just release “what is” and then try to fix it over the next several releases. When IOS finally gets released, we all know that it’ll be at least another year before all of the bugs in the new IOS features – and all of the regressions caused by the addition of the new features – will even approach stability. I know that some peoples’ feelings may get hurt by that statement, but you know deep down in your hearts that it’s so very likely to be true.

Ever since the the new IDE has been released, I’ve been waiting for it to return to a certain level of functionality, stability, and features that it still hasn’t reached. I’ve been waiting for this in order to renew my Pro license. With the addition of IOS on the horizon, I serious doubt that level will be reach and maintained any time soon.

Which is why they’re taking the time and doing it right. Don’t forget that Xojo is made with Xojo. If it doesn’t work for them it’s not worth releasing it for us.

You seem to imply iOS will be a feature of the “general” Xojo that we presently use. As far as I understand, iOS will be a separate program entirely. So it seems extremely doubtful iOS could cause regressions in the current IDE.

Given that this is not the first (just search the forums) nor the last, here is a simple reminder of where topics like this goes: no where.

When you buy a product (doesn’t matter what it is), you buy the product for whats available now and not whats on the roadmap. Same is true when it comes to buying product out of convenience vs. doing your homework and using the right product for your needs. A case and point to this is when buying a car… getting the car loan from the dealership maybe easier, but your going to pay a higher interest rate than if you shopped around before going to the dealership to buy a car.

Since this thread is on the topic of IOS… not sure what there is really to talk about given that there are existing tools today that anyone can use to make IOS apps. Also it should be pointed out that when Xojo did mention IOS development, it would be an additional purchase regardless of what license you had today… again… what is the fuss?

When it comes to Xojo, they make a great product and have found what they offer today very good one since it covers my top two requirements:

1) writing applications in a language that makes sense, write once / deploy many, has a fantastic development team that listens, and great community to correspond with.

2) writing an application, deploy it, and moving on with life.

If you assume that any work for iOS is “for iOS only” and nothing else will benefit then I’d agree.
But thats not the case.
While a lot of changes initially land first for iOS it’s not that this is for iOS only and nothing else will ever benefit from it.
Everything will in time.
So iOS progress, while not of prime importance to you, is still relevant as what happens there will ultimately ripple through to every corner.
It just so happens that iOS as a target forced us to tackle a lot of this just to make iOS possible.

ok fisrt, since the delay … when will be released the version for IOS must be perfect !!!
second ,applications for ios are a nice slice of businnes programming, and at now we must use other environments to produce…
third, will be or will not be two different things xojo and xojo for ios. ?
Fourth, am i the only one who is unhappy for the delay of this implementation? I really doubt!