the quarter of 2014 is near... and in which situation is the announced IOS support

now we are near the quarter of 2014 !!!
the xojo with ios native support was announced for quarter of 2014 ( but was also announced at later quarter of 2013 and begin of 2014).
now there are past a lot of time without news about it …
can we know if the launch of this release will be delayed again ???

Did you read the XDC announcement today? Take a closer look at the paragraph above the price.
http://www.xojo.com/company/news/xdc2015.php

[quote=128054:@Ulrich Bogun]Did you read the XDC announcement today? Take a closer look at the paragraph above the price.
http://www.xojo.com/company/news/xdc2015.php[/quote]

It would not be the first time iOS is told to be real soon and that turned out bogus :confused:

Give them a break. It’s a big project and it IS in alpha testing now.

???
at now there are 2 year of breaks !!!
and the last time was announced that would be released to the quarter of 2014 .
now the quarter of 2014 become XDC 2015 …!!!
and the ios is in beta from many months.
I remember that the last reply from the staff was
“its ready when its ready”

It is not as if I had been asking every week “is it here yet” ? On the contrary, I have constantly defended Xojo the same way you do.

I know it is in Alpha testing. It’s better than when it was in development.

My issue is the way it is regularly delayed, and I bet this time will be like before, a new disappointment when Winter comes and iOS is still in the pipe. Instead of time and again grow expectations, rather say nothing and let users have a nice surprise. Like instead of “Fall 2014”, write “2014” in the XDC announcement for the iOS release date. That way it can be released on New Year’s Eve without risk of once again delaying its issuance.

I just hope Xojo learns from Apple : instead of premature shows and inconsiderate announcements, make it a great hoopla when the product is readily available. Better a grand opening on time than a great nothing agonising for years.

[quote=128070:@Jury Buono]I remember that the last reply from the staff was
“its ready when its ready”[/quote]

Pretty sure that’s the current response too.

What are they supposed to do? Release it half baked?

I want it now too but it is coming. Releasing a new target is a big deal and it has a lot of related things.

Never plan your own product on an announced but unreleased version.[quote=128072:@Michel Bujardet]I just hope Xojo learns from Apple : instead of premature shows and inconsiderate announcements, make it a great hoopla when the product is readily available. Better a grand opening on time than a great nothing agonising for years.[/quote]

Well, you know the old saying, “fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me?” Just assume that any time estimate is wrong and add a year (or more). This is not a new pattern.

[quote=128043:@Jury Buono]now we are near the quarter of 2014 !!!
the xojo with ios native support was announced for quarter of 2014 ( but was also announced at later quarter of 2013 and begin of 2014).
can we know if the launch of this release will be delayed again ???[/quote]
Cui bono, Mr. Buono? Who would profit from a premature release? See, nobody. So patience is it.

And that is the problem. I can see why marketing people want to boast about it, while development teams are still scrambling to get it ready. I know such a big endeavour cannot be pulled out of a hat. All the more reason to avoid unnecessary premature announcements.

By contrast, I am going to enjoy on time keynote from Apple tonight, and it will not be yet another “it’s ready when it’s ready”…

I know this is off topic, and counter to the fact this is an XOJO site…
But look at SWIFT… sure it too is still in Beta, but I have already created a full iOS app that works for iPhone (4s/5s), IPad (retina and non) as the iPod Touch … all with one code base. Granted I’m no expert, but the learning curve while steep, is not as steep as ObjC is/was

Where do you get that?

It says on the page “With the advent of the iOS platform in Fall of 2014” …

[quote=128085:@Dave S]And that is the problem. I can see why marketing people want to boast about it, while development teams are still scrambling to get it ready. I know such a big endeavour cannot be pulled out of a hat. All the more reason to avoid unnecessary premature announcements.

[/quote]

I have totally considered this as well. Except I’m so wrapped up in desktop development, iOS is way off my radar. When Xojo releases iOS support it will be a big distraction for me.

[quote=128083:@Michel Bujardet]And that is the problem. I can see why marketing people want to boast about it, while development teams are still scrambling to get it ready. I know such a big endeavour cannot be pulled out of a hat. All the more reason to avoid unnecessary premature announcements.

By contrast, I am going to enjoy on time keynote from Apple tonight, and it will not be yet another “it’s ready when it’s ready”…[/quote]
Apple does this too
Thats why they have announcements and then say “It will be here in the fall of ….” or something similar
10.10 anyone ? Announced at WWDC - public beta - to be released this fall

The difference - they say nothing about it publicly until its close to release (ie/ so close they can actually project a release date with reasonable accuracy)
Maybe we should return to that model :slight_smile:

[quote=128098:@Norman Palardy]The difference - they say nothing about it publicly until its close to release (ie/ so close they can actually project a release date with reasonable accuracy)
Maybe we should return to that model :)[/quote]
Damned if you do - damned if you don’t.

We cannot discuss iOS or other alpha/beta stuff publicly so thats maybe some people think it is at a dead end.
Actually, most testers also do not know when the initial release actually will be available but rest assured it will come sooner or later.
iOS and the new framework is a very BIG thing and I am sure no-one is satisfied with a half baked Xojo that isn’t working.

Patience … its worth waiting for it. :slight_smile:

Congratulations.

To be fair, Objective-C is not an impossible challenge either, and there are solutions out there. I have personally chosen Livecode instead, since I consider computers should be able to learn human languages instead of human beings being forced to speak Martian. After all, ‘User Interface’ should not mean the user be made a peripheral of the machine, akin to what happens in bad science fiction.

All that to say it is not as if there was no alternative to Xojo iOS. There are viable ways to develop with iOS available.

But we are in a forum dedicated to Xojo, amongst users of Xojo, and in vast majority quite appreciative of it. I do not think at this juncture the issue is which tool should be used, but rather since Xojo is my (should I say our) favorite language, I am looking forward to develop for iOS with it.

Too bad such blog posts as http://www.realsoftwareblog.com/2013/02/ios-update.html in February 2013 unnecessarily raised expectations much too early and much too often. Now when (note I am not writing if) the product will be here, after all that teasing, if by any means it gets wee bit less good than expected, flames will throw as high as the order was tall.

[quote=128098:@Norman Palardy]The difference - they say nothing about it publicly until its close to release (ie/ so close they can actually project a release date with reasonable accuracy)
Maybe we should return to that model :)[/quote]

Indeed, that would save a lot of aggravation.

[quote=128043:@Jury Buono]now we are near the quarter of 2014 !!!
can we know if the launch of this release will be delayed again ???[/quote]
The first question in the FAQs http://www.xojo.com/support/ states “every quarter” not “every 90 days”.
That doesn’t mean “the first day of the quarter” either.
If we release Jan 1 (first day of Q1) and June 30 (last day of Q2) we’ve met that statement and it gives us a little flexibility to shift dates without letting us just slide the date further & further out indefinitely.
We’ve historically tended NOT to say much about the future because of … well … things like this thread.

Anyone else notice how many times in that presentation Apple said “coming soon” ? :stuck_out_tongue:
Sept 19, Oct, sometime later this year for worldwide availability of the iPhone 6, iWatch etc.
Virtually none of the announcements were “available today”

EDIT : except maybe U2’s album which isn’t yet listed on iTunes here :slight_smile:

Could not hear it, video stuck. And when it worked for a minute or two, was real bothered by an idiotic Chinese translator voice over, while a guy with the charisma of cold soup pushed the iPhone 6 with as much enthusiasm as Droopy :confused:

I’m telling you, Apple is fast getting just as dull as during Amelio reign…