Step-by-step guide to setup a Ubuntu VPS and run Xojo webapps

VPS installation guide

Recently, there was a discussion about having a guide on how to setup a virtual private server which can run Xojo webapps.

I do have a collection of private How-To guides and from these I made this short step-by-step guide.

As an example I took a vps from server4you.net and as a distro I have chosen Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit server.
I got a domain-name “indyman.pro” from https://www.europeregistry.com.

As a client I am using OSX 10.11.4, ssh terminal, Transmit SFTP client and webmin via webbrowser.

It may help some of you to get your own test-environment up and running.

Feedback, corrections and additions are welcome!

Vps Or dedicated server setup depend from Admin console.(cPanel,Plesk,Webadmin,etc).
Most web hosting companies solution is plesk because is cheaper than cPanel…
After the 4 Plesk New editions now is possible to choose the panel you want to operate.
Like bellow
Parallels Web App Edition
Target Audience: Web Application Developers who are hosting web applications.

1. Control application access rights with custom view management.
  2. Integrated developer tools for extending the capabilities of the server.
    3 )Security for protection from common scripted attacks against software.
    One more Plus is the Security auto updates.
    About server4you is one of the worst companies with payment system i have use…
    the license cost is 4-5$ per month if you want to buy it for custom create server.

quote=257949:@Loannis Kolliageorgas
About server4you is one of the worst companies with payment system i have use…
the license cost is 4-5$ per month if you want to buy it for custom create server.[/quote]

If you say that their pricing of plesk licenses cannot compete with other hosters, then I fully agree. Hosteurope for instance has much better offers there.

In our case I like server4you for load-balanced, standalone xojo apps. Sever4you provides very good vps options for this. We have several instances of a webapp running behind a haproxy and so far, the responsiveness is great.

But the guide was not meant as a whitepaper advertisement for server4you, but to help some people to get up and running with linux and xojo…

Yes i say only for the plesk license prices for hosting companies vs other panels.

server4you was my opinion after i use them for 1 year.
i Know you don’t advertise the company :slight_smile:
But is a good guide to start !!