What hosting services are you using?

Hi:

What hosting companies are other people using rather than Xojo cloud? I originally started trying to deploy to Godaddy, but I have little experience with servers so after a great deal of frustration, I switch to Xojo’s cloud.

Now, I have been stalled for the better part of a week because I can’t deploy to the server. I get the following error, An error occurred while connecting to the Xojo Cloud server, for days on end. I have been able to deploy 2 times in the last 3 days. Now, with it being Friday evening, I am probably shut down unit Monday noon when customer support finally gets to my problem. They are always helpful, but the problem persists. It will get fixed basically for one deployment, then I am back to the same problem.

Does anybody know of step-by-step instructions for deploying to another server for us “non-server” types. I know Bob Keeney has instructions on his web site but they are a little dated, and not geared towards Godaddy.

I would appreciated any thoughts and suggestions.

I know it costs about $US35 per month plus a Mac Mini, but I use a co-located Mac and run as many Web apps as I want as standalone. Super fast. I only wish my provider had offices in the Europe/UK/Pacific. To deploy I drag the compiled app up then double-click on it (or drag it into a new terminal window and change the port number if needed, then press Return).

I launch the apps on startup and they run in a terminal window. When I merge all the windows they look like this (via Apple Screen Share):

I don’t need to worry about cgi permissions and I have both PostgresApp and MySQL running on the same box. But if I have a problem I cannot fix remotely it costs me $US90 per incident (ouch!).

If you can’t afford the $US35 per month, you can also set up a DMZ on your home router to point to an old, permanent PC. I have an old iMac for this with a large hard drive. The problem is that I cannot trust my ISP for permanent uptime or fast uploading and you must run an internal DNS (or edit your hosts file) to access the DMZ PC both from home and and away from home, but it works.

The problem with these solutions is that YOU are the admin. While Xojo Cloud may cost more it is not your responsibility that the server and network keeps running. You have greater peace of mind. You only have to worry about your code. If someone else was paying I would be using Xojo Cloud!

[quote=201236:@Stuart Travis]Hi:

What hosting companies are other people using rather than Xojo cloud? I originally started trying to deploy to Godaddy, but I have little experience with servers so after a great deal of frustration, I switch to Xojo’s cloud.

Now, I have been stalled for the better part of a week because I can’t deploy to the server. I get the following error, An error occurred while connecting to the Xojo Cloud server, for days on end. I have been able to deploy 2 times in the last 3 days. Now, with it being Friday evening, I am probably shut down unit Monday noon when customer support finally gets to my problem. They are always helpful, but the problem persists. It will get fixed basically for one deployment, then I am back to the same problem.

Does anybody know of step-by-step instructions for deploying to another server for us “non-server” types. I know Bob Keeney has instructions on his web site but they are a little dated, and not geared towards Godaddy.

I would appreciated any thoughts and suggestions.[/quote]

I have been using 1701Software since 2013 with great satisfaction. You will see on the home page that it mentions Xojo explicitly, which is far, far more than other often cited host providers, who have no idea what Xojo is. Phillip Zedalis who manages it, is a member of this forum, he uses Xojo, and provides a high level of service. To me, that is very precious.

I think with 1701Software you also have access to Valentina and CubeSQL database servers.

I use a VPS from ServerPronto for $15.00 a month. I’ve been using them for about 3 years with no problems. I was able to get a really nice package for about 1/2 price for life.

If I didn’t know how to configure a server… I would go with 1701Software.

Very happy with 1701 Software. I switch From BlueHost, which I was happy with, except they could not handle Xojo apps. I’m running my WordPress site on 1701, which requires MySql. I’m also using Mysql with some PHP and Xojo apps. Phillip moved my site, and got it set up. The few problems I had Phillip handled timely.

I’ll add my two cents in. I have both Xojo Cloud and 1701 Software accounts. They both have their strengths and you will do well with either of them.

Ease of deployment is a huge factor with Xojo Cloud. I’ve had intermittent issues with uploading apps to Xojo Cloud but customer service has always pulled through. I would try restarting your Xojo Cloud server and if that doesn’t work, change the application ID of your app and try uploading again.

1701 Software has excellent service and know how to set up a Xojo capable server. Zero complaints with using them.

Any other server you will fight with compatibility issues. I spent many hours this past week trying to figure out what was going on and it’s usually two issues that are the root cause. First you have to make sure that the permissions of the app and the enclosing directory are correct. The Config file needs to be 666 (Xojo Cloud) or 644 (other). The one that that bit me recently was the Owner/Group of the files. I couldn’t get them to work properly though FTP so I had to go through the CPanel interface. After all that the app still wouldn’t start so I went back to 2014 R2 and it worked which says that my Linux install did not have LibICU installed (a requirement for 2015 R2).

If you have SSH access to the server you can attempt to start the app via the command line and it will show you what is missing. Xojo cloud doesn’t have this option and the server I was on this week didn’t have that option (unless I went through the setup procedure).

Thanks for the idea. I penned a blog post this afternoon: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly of Xojo Web App Deployment at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com/2015/07/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-of-deploying-xojo-web-apps/

You are welcome Mr. Keeney, and thanks everybody for the great suggestions and advice. I took a look at 1701 Software and signed up.

I am using dedicated servers named Jiffybox hosted in germany https://www.df.eu/de/cloud-hosting/cloud-server/
These virtual boxes are paid by use. And with just 16 EUR for full 24h it’s inexpensive.

The advantage: You have full root access to the server.
The disadvantage: You have full root access to the server

So you are fully responsibe for it. This is in stark contrast to xojo cloud, where you can use a fully managed and maintained platform with no hassle about security/updates.

As Bob said: Price vs. Ease of use…

P.S.: And of course it is not hosted in USA or UK (NSA or GCHQ)!

They say from 0.02 € an hour. To me, that sounds more like 16 € a month, which indeed is inexpensive. But as most VPS around at that price, you are probably on your own, with the burden of having the 32 bits apps work if it is a 64 bit system, and altogether a rather nightmarish experience for whomever is not fully bilingual Linux.

In that sort of bad trip, I tried a while ago to get a droplet at Digital Ocean, following the advice of a forum luminary now gone to other planes. He made it sound as simple, and the $5 a month price would have been a treat. It ended up so tricky I could never figure it out. Not eggheads please abstain.

Some people genuinely enjoy Linuxian intricacies, probably the way some others do Chess. I am not one of them. I do business over the web. Not haphazard computer science.

Hi Michel, it depends of your cloud level: Here is a good product matrix with max prices per month (e.G. 3 GB RAM, 25 GB SSD HDD, 3 cores, unlimited traffic = 18,60 € / Month) and detailed info about hardware and linux distributions. You can choose between 64 and 32 bit distributions.

Yes I fully understand you. I am Developer and not an administrator managing linux servers on full time basis :wink:
This is the gap xojo cloud or 1701 hosting is in and as I can see from 1701 website, they are dedicated in xojo support.

I’m sorry you are still having trouble with this. For what it’s worth, in response to your queries, we restarted the affected service on July 16th at 22:24 GMT and July 18th at 12:47 GMT, but besides that the service appears to be running smoothly.

For everyone’s info, we are actively looking for a solution to this issue, but it’s been a bit elusive because the conditions which cause the issue are not readily reproducible.

I have an OVH.com server. It is based in Canada but the company is French and several datacenter around the world.

It is a VMware VPS running Windows 2008 Server with 4 virtual cores and 8 GB of RAM and 100 GB of RAID 10 storage.

The cost is $21.95/month for 100 MBS transfer rate up to 10GB per month.

They have other lower priced options with less RAM/Storage/Cores. I picked them because they seemed to be the lowest cost Windows Server based VPS for a box with this much RAM (sort of the minimum for Windows Server).

[quote=201604:@Mark Strickland]I have an OVH.com server. It is based in Canada but the company is French and several datacenter around the world.

It is a VMware VPS running Windows 2008 Server with 4 virtual cores and 8 GB of RAM and 100 GB of RAID 10 storage.

The cost is $21.95/month for 100 MBS transfer rate up to 10GB per month.

They have other lower priced options with less RAM/Storage/Cores. I picked them because they seemed to be the lowest cost Windows Server based VPS for a box with this much RAM (sort of the minimum for Windows Server).[/quote]

I do use OVH for a .fr server but it is a Linux one, and I never thought about trying a Xojo Web app on it. Using Windows is a good idea, since it alleviates the issues of Linux 64 bit.

I am modestly Linux fluent but some things, especially with Apache, just seem to be very painful to perfect since you don’t do things often. I finally discovered Webmin.com and it adds a nice free menu driven front end on Linux but it still not as easy as Windows.

I have tried to be a Linux “snob” since all “real servers” run from the command line but I just don’t have time to learn everything about Linux.

Most recently I have been using the Abyss Web Server on Windows which is very simple to administer combination.

I’m currently using hostforlife.eu cloud server plan. I use their windows cheap plan server and it cost around €25.00/Mo and it comes with 40 Gb space and 1000 GB traffic. You can access the server anytime you like and the advantages using them, they have different datacenters in europe.

I have the Business Hosting Plan with CGIwebhost.
I am using it for quite a while now. Not complaining. I use it to host sites for several domains.
For $4,22 it offers

• unlimited space
  • unlimited bandwidth
  • MySQL + PostgreSQL
  • PHP and ASP.NET
  • CGI

That last option made my decision to join this club. It can run my CGI webapps without any hassle.
The databases are not accessible by any external database management tool. That is the only thing I don’t like. But what I do is, building my DB on my local computer, with the same setup as the DB with CGIwebhost. After I’m done, I migrate the whole thing to their servers.
When I need to change the structure, I simply sync a newer db with the existing one. Quite a hassle, but doe the job. Their port speed is not super fast. But hey, it’s cheap, with lots of other options.

Long time http://DreamHost.com user. Generally happy with them and they offer a range of services from shared hosting to VPSs.

We run several VPS at server4you.net and hosteurope.de

http://www.server4you.net/virtual-server
https://www.hosteurope.de/en/Server/Virtual-Server/

I prefer Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS as an operating system.

For creating and managing several domains we use Plesk, where HostEurope has an unlimited domains offer.

Server4you works very well with standalone xojo webapps, with a high availability haproxy load balancer installed.

Server4you offers a VPS with 16 vCores and 18 GB of guaranteed RAM and SSD disks for 21€ / month. This turned out to be a much more responsive solution for hosting Xojo Webapps than a dedicated server.

We installed haproxy as a loadbalancer, in front of an Apache webserver and standalone Xojo Webapps.

We use Transmit and Webmin to manage it, both are a big help.

With webmin one easily can setup the linux firewall, limit access to ones current IP (use dyndns.com to get a dynamic ip with hostname and client software for the administrative computer or tablet), and shutdown unnecessary services, manage ones own DNS Server and more.

Webmin Administrator’s Cookbook