Scanning Solutions

Currently I use an external ‘command line’ driven program to scan documents, convert them into Adobe Acrobat files and save them on a server, but this means the end user also having to purchase a licence for ‘scantopdf’. I then place a link in a database pointing to the file to recall them at a later date (I don’t want to save the binaries in the database). In effect a master record may have many scanned documents linked to it.

I would like to go to a complete XOJO solution. I have been playing about with MBS TWAIN Plugin, and I have dynapdf. Some of the documents I scan can be upwards of 50-100 sides of A4 so not small image files, but thankfully smaller .pdf files. My needs are relatively simple, scan the pages, create a .pdf, save all the pages, and then add the file path link to the database form where it can be later launched.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions, or are using the MBS/DynaPDF solution (I have only just started playing with the demo files of this - it may well be this turns out to be fine).

You’re on a windows platform? What type of scanner are you using?

This code is VB6, but I took a look at it and should be quite easy to transpose to Xojo :slight_smile:

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=60488&lngWId=1

Check out the VSTwain ActiveX control. It works rather nicely with Xojo and has a ton more options than the MBS plugin does.

I have an older version of Vintasoft Twain for a MSACCESS solution, didn’t consider that, although I have not done a lot with ActiveX in XOJO so will have a play. It is windows environment Matthew, and scannera vary, Epson, Fujitsu and Kojica Minolta. The predominant high volume one is the Fujitsu. I’ll take a look at the code, although I wouldn’t bank on my ability to transpose it :slight_smile:

lookup EZTW32.dll. It’s very easy to use using some declares.

e.g. on of the declares:

Function AcquireToFile(f As Folderitem = Nil) As Boolean
  Dim retVal As Boolean
  Dim fItem as FolderItem

Const thisModule = "- AcquireToFile"
  #If TargetWin32
    If Self.IsAvailable Then
      Soft Declare Function TWAIN_AcquireToFilename Lib "EZTW32.dll"(hwndApp As Integer, pszFile As CString) As Integer
      Dim i As Integer

If f <> Nil Then
        fItem = f
      Elseif fItem Is Nil Then
        fItem = TemporaryFolder.Child("sjgeztwaintemp.bmp")
        if fItem.Exists then
          fItem.Delete
        end if
      End If
      If fItem <> Nil Then
        i = TWAIN_AcquireToFilename(0,fItem.AbsolutePath)
        If i = 0 Then
          If fItem.Exists Then
            AcquiredPicture = fItem.OpenAsPicture
            If AcquiredPicture <> Nil Then
              retVal = True
            End If
          Else
            reportError "File not created" + thisModule
          End If
        Else
          Select Case i
          Case -1
            reportError "Acquire failed OR user cancelled File Save dialog" + thisModule
          Case -2
            reportError "file open error (invalid path or name, or access denied)" + thisModule
          Case -3
            reportError "(weird) unable to lock DIB - probably an invalid handle" + thisModule
          Case -4
            reportError "writing BMP data failed, possibly output device is full" + thisModule
          End Select
        End If
      Else
        reportError "Nil FolderItem" + thisModule
      End If
      If retVal = False Then
        AcquiredPicture = Nil
      End If
    End If
  #EndIf
  Return retVal  
End Function

Forgot the url :slight_smile:

http://www.eztwain.com/eztwain1.htm

Thanks Alain, I’ll try that also.

I would like to add that MBS has a Twain plugin which can be used to scan.

Looking at the options, and prices Vintasoft may be the way to go. Do you have any sample code Greg that I can adapt, or pointers to more help on using windows .dll’s etc? First time playing with activex/dll and although I have read the XOJO help pages I am not sure where to start.

This is what I have tried so far;

soft declare function  Acquire Lib "VZTwain" () As Boolean
  dim boo as Boolean
  boo=Acquire[/code]

I get an error when I run the code, "Could not load Acquire from VZTwain"

The VB6 code to do a scan is this, i just wanted to 'connect' to the scanner to see if I was accessing the dll correctly

[code]Private Sub StartScan()
    VSTwain1.StartDevice()
    If VSTwain1.SelectSource() = 1 Then
        VSTwain1.ShowUI = True
        VSTwain1.Acquire()
    End If
End Sub

Private Sub VSTwain1_PostScan(ByVal flag As Long)
    If flag <> 0 Then
        If VSTwain1.ErrorCode <> 0 Then
            MsgBox VSTwain1.ErrorString
        End If
    Else
        Set Image1.Picture = VSTwain1.GetCurrentImage()
        If Not VSTwain1.SaveImage(0, "c:\\test.tiff") Then
            MsgBox(VSTwain1.ErrorString)
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Yeah, don’t do it that way. Add the VSTwain ActiveX control to your project and then put an instance of the control onto the layout from where you will be scanning and name it VSTwain1. Then your code would look something like this…

VSTwain1.showUI = 0
      VSTwain1.autoBright = 1
      VSTwain1.fileFormat = VSTWAINLib.enumFileFormat.Jpeg

VSTwain1.showIndicators = 0
      call VSTwain1.OpenDataSource

VSTwain1.pixelType = VSTWAINLib.enumPixelType.RGB
      VSTwain1.feederEnabled = 0 //Don't use the feeder
      VSTwain1.resolution = 72 // DPI of the scan
      VSTwain1.pageSize = 1 'A4, A4Letter
      VSTwain1.autoCleanBuffer = 1

tmpint = VSTwain1.AcquireModal()
      if tmpint = 1 then
        VSTwain1.jpegQuality = 100
        f = SpecialFolder.Temporary.child(format(d.TotalSeconds,"0")+".jpg")
        if VSTwain1.SaveImage(0,f.AbsolutePath) = 1 then
          //Now open the file
          dim p as Picture
          p = Picture.Open(f)

//Delete the file
          f.Delete 

//Return the picture
          return p
        end if

If you wish to use the PostScan event, it’s available right on the control instance.

Thanks Greg I will see how I get on.

Greg, added the controls as suggested. Placed the code as you suggested on a button action. Followed it through the debugger, no errors but did not start the scanner either. Any ideas, tmpint=0, never changes to 1 so the code is never executed.

I have the evaluation version so when I click the xojo button the vintasoft ‘Evaluate’ dialog box comes up to purchase/evaluate etc. so the activex is kicking in, click evalkuate, nothing happens. The scanner however does not start.

Full code below;

[code] dim tmpint as integer
dim f as FolderItem
dim d as new date

VSTwain1.showUI = 0
VSTwain1.autoBright = 1
VSTwain1.fileFormat = VSTWAINLib.enumFileFormat.Jpeg

VSTwain1.showIndicators = 0
call VSTwain1.OpenDataSource

VSTwain1.pixelType = VSTWAINLib.enumPixelType.RGB
VSTwain1.feederEnabled = 0 //Don’t use the feeder
VSTwain1.resolution = 72 // DPI of the scan
VSTwain1.pageSize = 1 'A4, A4Letter
VSTwain1.autoCleanBuffer = 1

tmpint = VSTwain1.AcquireModal()
if tmpint = 1 then
VSTwain1.jpegQuality = 100
f = SpecialFolder.Temporary.child(format(d.TotalSeconds,“0”)+".jpg")
if VSTwain1.SaveImage(0,f.AbsolutePath) = 1 then
//Now open the file
dim p as Picture
p = Picture.Open(f)

//Delete the file
  f.Delete

//Return the picture
  'return p

end if

end if[/code]

Look at the VSTwain docs. I believe that you need to set the datasource somewhere (it was not located in the method I showed you, but there’s often two interfaces on a scanner)

The other thing you can try is setting the showIndicators and ShowUI property to 1. That should cause TWAIN to show you the scanning interface.

I tried the latter setting before posting, but will take a look at the the other.

Paul

Hmm, been playing with this but cannot get Vintasoft to scan. Whats even more peculiar is that pressing the ‘scan’ button on my test window puts up the ‘Evaluate Vintasoft’ box, but the scan interface does not show. The project from that point will then not compile. It gives no errors, won’t run in the IDE. Even if I reboot the machine and/or XOJO the project file becomes unusable, in fact its almost as if it becomes corrupted in some form.

Anyone come across this sort of behaviour befiore with XOJO files. I must say its the first time I have come up againts the ‘corruption’ issue, but it is also the first time I have tried to use an activex control.

I can reconstruct the project again from scratch, it will compile the first time, and then not run again.

Tried many ways around this, but can recreate the ‘bug’ each time as above. Anyone have any suggestions as to why, after the first run of the program the project file will no longer compile or run?

FWIW, I’ve been playing with VSTWain today and discovered that the SaveFile only works for black and white scans in Evaluation mode.

So VSTwain1.SaveImage returns 0 but the error message will at least give you a decent error message that the code snippet above doesn’t give you.

around the same subject, is there a way to control a scanner from xojo on a mac ? thk.

MBS Plugin has TWAIN class for Mac/Win.
And we do have ImageCapture classes for Mac only and also some WIA classes which may work on Windows.