Release 3 problems

Not sure it if is related, but this does sound a bit similar to an issue a user reported earlier this year where one window in their project was slow to display in the IDE. It turned out to be caused by a combination of sliders with tick marks on, a high max value, a small page step and macOS Monterey. The problem went away after changing to more realistic values for the slider.

But there is not much information here to go on, so without seeing the project in question we can only guess at this point.

2 Likes

I’ve had exactly that! I increased the maximum of a slider to 1000 to get better precision (I then divide by 1000), and the window became old dog slow, had to update the page step value.

You could make a copy of your project and then remove controls one by one to see if you find a suspect.

This beach ball appearance only happens when the mouse is being moved on the MainWindow AND when in Developing mode, NOT when the project is running. Would there be any kind of code triggering when the project is not running?

Good idea, I will start doing this and report back.

I eliminated more and more objects and it turns out it’s 2 nested tab panels. I have 2 nested Tab panels inside a 3rd one, deleting the 2 inner tab panels make the program act normally again without beach ball. This isn’t a problem in release 2.

Please file a case with an example.

Done: #70597
Open this project in IDE (2022r3.1)
move the mouse over the window
watch IDE cpu skyrocket

3 Likes

Excellent. I thought I was going nuts, but this explains why the IDE hates some of my windows.

I loaded the shared project to try to understand why someone want to set Cascading Tab Panels
 and still do not understand.

Aren’t you afraid of scaring off your users with such a UI?

(just curious)

How can you judge its design without seeing the program? :neutral_face:

2 Likes

No, I am not judging

That is why I loaded the shared project, but
 it does not show me anything useful
 (as you said)

As I wrote: “Just curious”.

Plus: some people told me about “an oil manufacture” talking for a window that asked for name / reason / phone nbr and who send people to them (< 30 Controls in the window). I do not understand their concern then (their papers holds far more data / questions
).

1 Like

Not really. It’s based on the design of the published app which is being used by many people, I never heard any complaints. I decided for this embedded tab design because it makes it clear what the workflow is in using the app:

FileMaker has a limited amount of controls. The visual hierarchy in your screenshot can be improved. I like to have one level vertical and then the secondary level horizontal or vice versa.

Below is the latest iteration of the interface of my Setup window:

The main level is a listbox. The secondary level is a PagePanel with my tabsheets. The third level is a popup menu.

This is just one possibility to solve the visual hierarchy problem.

4 Likes

That looks good, I will see if I can adapt this. Thanks for letting me know.