Release 3 problems

Opening my project in release 3 shows layout changes of buttons pushed to other locations. Also, the osx spinning ball pops up constantly. Not possible to open the File menu to save my project.

I kept trying to open my project, but it’s not possible. Clicking the mouse in the project file freezes my Mac completely. Not possible to use release 3. I am using a Mac studio with 64 gb ram, Monterey. Maybe release 3 isn’t compatible?

Do you have only one project or one project move the buttons when you open it and another is not possible to open?

If you can share your project with Xojo (or public), someone can take a look.

I’ve been using the betas on Monterey since they were available and I’m using release 3 now. I’ve not had an issue. I’m using an M1 Max MacBook Pro 16". Restart you machine and try again. What type of project file are you using. I’ve correctly worked with both Binary and text projects but I’ve not tried XML.

It’s a simple text project. This morning I started my computer and tried it again with the same results. Constant spinning ball and as said, some buttons have been moved to other locations. Those I can fix, but the program is showing the ball and after a while freezing the computer which forced a restart. I cannot even click on the Apple menu anymore. I will continue with release 2 for this project, I don’t want to spent time in fixing release problems.

Save a copy in binary, try to load this copy.

1 Like

I was just about to recommend this same sequence. It saved a number of my older projects when I needed to move forward in some of the earlier releases.

How do I do this?

In the File Menu choose

Save As…

and then

That’s what I was looking for, but I do not see that Format menu:

Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 07.02.55

Actually, I see now in the project name that is has binary_project as suffix, not something I ever added. Is this done by Xojo when I started this project maybe?

What macOS are you using?
2022R3 is for macOS 10.14 or greater only.

If it’s already in Binary Format, try to Save as XML and then as Binary again.

I am running Monterey 12.6 and I cannot save as xml because I don’t have the Format menu.

If you have the Lite license, it only saves in binary project format.

1 Like

In that case, opening in binary format would not have solved the spinning wheel problem.

I see in the activity monitor why Xojo release 3 freezes my Mac, it pretty much uses all the processor resources:

Click on the button with the 3 dots and select “Sample Process”. Wait a bit, copy the information to a text file. Then upload the file to Dropbox or similar so that we can have a look.

If you would like to see it fixed, i’d recommend to open an Issue Case and upload the System Dump there.

OK, Here is the link to the text file.

Looks like you are running Xojo as Intel Version in Rosetta2:

Code Type: X86-64 (translated)

Maybe you should change this to native ARM64…

Yeah, but even with Rosetta Xojo should be able to work. Xojo has problems loading plugins. Please do a bug report with the file attached.

That is the default value here too… (on my m1 MacBook Pro).