RB Library closing down

Thanks for staying with RBLibrary.

There are today many possibilities of conversion, but I wonder since Word produces HTML, if it would not be better to go from HTML to Mobi or ePub.

Beyond the possibility to sell more, having your books say in Amazon for a start or others would be good for your image and that of Xojo’s.

[quote=259945:@Eugene Dakin]Hi Joseph,

The last time I looked at the big publishers was back in 2011, and each company had there various good and poor points. At the time the largest obstacle was the various formats (mobi, epub, lit, etc…). The books in Microsoft Word and are fairly complicated (pictures, tables, index…), and converting to other formats was poor at best.

As an example, the Canvas book has 424 pages and was converted to mobi and is now 7,049 pages and many of the pictures were not converted, and the formatting was poor. Microsoft Word does create a great pdf format that I believe most readers can open (I could be wrong about that).

Back in 2011 the big publishers had a very large markup. RBLibrary was great because the main focus was Xojo/Real Studio and the prices were reasonable. My books are live documents, and are usually updated which makes it nice for me to keep the information up-to-date and readers are happy that the examples, code, and explanations are compatible with the latest version of Xojo.

All of my books are registered, have copyrights, and registered ISBN’s which makes them able to be distributed around the world. I will try the new RBLibrary ownership and see how this works out.

@Joseph Evert If you have any helpful thoughts about publishing or know someone who has published, then I would like to learn more. There are many horror stories out there, and I am not sure how many of the horror stories were self-induced ;)[/quote]
For books, I have used Lulu, their markups were very reasonable, they handled all of the payment stuff and accepted most formats, including bookmarked PDFs, which are very easy to generate. Amazon Kindle is another good choice, again easy to get books into their formats and Kindle software is available on just about every device out there and they now even have a web based reader.

Thanks for the helpful comments Christopher as it looks like there are many options. I am sure that @Marc Zeedar is working on something to get RBLibrary up and running in the near future.

Any update on when Eugene`s books will be available

Hi Dan,

I am not exactly sure when @Marc Zeedar will have the site up and running. He has been doing work on the website though!

Sincerely,

Eugene

I joined the xojo/rb community too late. Could someone explain what RB Library is?

It was a webshop where you could buy (for a very reasonable price) several articles, books and/or source code.
For instance Eugene’s book series “I wish I knew how to…”
I have the PostgreSQL with Xojo Desktop, and Begin programming Xojo Web ones. Very good books that explain how to program these things in Xojo in high detail.
I bought articles on Delegates, Polish your app, undo, marketing, selfupdating, registration…
and source code for for instance inlinehttp, excelwriter…
All in all it was a good resource.

you can always contact Marc Zeedar and ask for something.

The Xojo Library is online which contains the Xojo and REALStudio books from RBLibrary!

xojolibrary.com
rblibrary.com
rslibrary.com
xDevLibrary.com

all point to the same site so it makes no difference (they’re not just redirects)

which is good for anyone who uses the old links

Last login: Wed Jun 8 17:17:22 on ttys001
server:~ npalardy$ dig xojolibrary.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> xojolibrary.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 25192
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;xojolibrary.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
xojolibrary.com. 3510 IN A 66.39.97.200

;; Query time: 3 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.15.1#53(192.168.15.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Jun 8 17:27:37 2016
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 49

server:~ npalardy$ dig rslibrary.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> rslibrary.com
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 12310

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;rslibrary.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
rslibrary.com. 3570 IN A 66.39.97.200

;; Query time: 4 msec
;; WHEN: Wed Jun 8 17:27:43 2016
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 47

server:~ npalardy$ dig rblibrary.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> rblibrary.com
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 21414

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;rblibrary.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
rblibrary.com. 3600 IN A 66.39.97.200

;; Query time: 135 msec
;; WHEN: Wed Jun 8 17:27:53 2016
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 47

server:~ npalardy$ dig xdevlibrary.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> xdevlibrary.com
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 38125

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;xdevlibrary.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
xdevlibrary.com. 3495 IN A 66.39.97.200

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; WHEN: Wed Jun 8 17:28:00 2016
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 49