RB Library closing down

I just read the announcement posted by Dana that RBLibrary is closing down on April 30.

That is a terrible blow to our community’s culture :confused:

Where are the authors to turn to ? Where are the customers to turn to ?

Is there anything that can be done for that superb resource to go on ?

I had no idea they were closing or looking for a new owner. I wonder what the criteria was. I imagine having adequate server space was a disqualifier :stuck_out_tongue:

I also missed a notice.
Didn’t know it was for offer.
Maybe Norman wants to share some details on this?

From what little I know, RBLibrary used to get articles from the developer magazine. Sometime in the past couple of years that stopped for reasons I’m not privy to. If you don’t have new content coming in it’s hard to have a ‘library’.

Indeed maybe new content could be an issue, but existing content is still valid, and seeing it disappear is a real pity.

Credits to @Eugene Dakin for all the publications he hosted from there.

Server space and bandwidth is not an issue.
Economics is. With changes Paypal is making it will be a money losing venture.
There were a handful of interested buyers at one time but none has expressed interest in taking over the store.
So the store will close.

What changes are those?

Or more to the point will it affect me? I just have one PayPal button on my website for this that want to buy my mergeable cell listbox. I don’t recall reviewing anything form payPal but I might have missed it…

Details of the changes vary from vendor to vendor.
If you’re a vendor you got notified of a series of changes they are requiring for continued use of their service.
If you’re just a user you wont see any changes.
The list of changes they require RBLibrary make changes the costs enough its not economic.

What will happen to the current content? Is there a chance of someone hosting a free archive of at least part of the current content?

Would a Donate button help? I’d be happy to contribute something. Hate to see any more RS/Xojo resources disappear!

There are copyright and ownership issues at stake here. The original authors still get paid for purchases. I don’t think free is possible unless all authors give up their rights.

And, with the exception of any original authors not in magazine (Eugene Dakin articles come to mind), I think XDev Magazine has all of these articles.

Only free items which is a small portion of the content

It doesn’t really solve the fundamental issue

Correct

xojo cannot host this on their web site ?

It’s not about hosting. RBLibrary is a business with obligations to the writers. Norman is closing it down unless someone buys the business.

[quote=257941:@Norman Palardy]Details of the changes vary from vendor to vendor.
If you’re a vendor you got notified of a series of changes they are requiring for continued use of their service.[/quote]

I have not received anything yet, but it worries me.

I would understand if you don’t feel like sharing the details, but is it about the minimum charge per transaction ?

The minimum charge changing is just one aspect of it.
You may not have to make any.

[quote=257987:@Norman Palardy]The minimum charge changing is just one aspect of it.
You may not have to make any.[/quote]

Paypal not being part of eBay anymore may be trying to kick out their less profitable customers. Not unheard of…

Does anyone know when the PayPal change notices went out? I looked through what I have and I don’t see anything about terms of services changing.

Lather rinse repeat
You may not have to make any.
If not they probably didn’t send you a notice.