RB Library closing down

[quote=257918:@Michel Bujardet]Where are the customers to turn to ?
[/quote]

GitHub!

I only know about they asking us about moving from order links to using their web service.

“probably” being the keyword. That’s why I am checking. I’ll ask the question again, when did the notice go out? Not did they send one to me. I’d like to look in my email Inbox to see if I missed something somewhere.

I got mine Mar 8

What is happening with all the publications?
Are they going to disappear? :frowning:

[quote=258022:@Paul Sondervan]What is happening with all the publications?
Are they going to disappear? :([/quote]
A vast majority of them (not all) are Xdev Magazine articles and are available in back issues.

Thanks, I don’t see a notice, so I guess we are good to go or that they’ll send another notice. If they made the terms to difficult to deal with, I’d just ditch them and use our other processor, 2Checkout (.) com. We now get the same rate from them as PayPal and customers use them just about as much as PayPal, so other than holding a rolling 5% reserve for 3 months, I don’t really notice any difference.

@Bob Keeney
I do have all the Xdev Magazine articles (thanks to the Omegabundle).
But for example the “I Wish” books from Eugene Dakin are not.
I do hope he finds other ways to sell his books.

I would not go to such an extreme. There are many, many customers who prefer to use Paypal. Let alone because they don’t have to provide a credit card number to people they do not know.

I was just saying only if they made it too difficult. I have no idea what changes they are asking for, but apparently it was enough to make the decision to close down RBLibrary easier. I personally like them, easy to deal with, IMO.

[quote=258022:@Paul Sondervan]What is happening with all the publications?
Are they going to disappear? :([/quote]
Yes
Except for free stuff there’s no rights to redistribute this freely beyond the life of the store

This wasn’t the only thing - but it was definitely the final straw.
It makes a store that more or less broke even into an out of pocket expense for me.

Eugene Dakin and his readers will be orphaned by the disappearance of RBLibrary.

I noticed Marc Zeedar of XDev is selling several books through lulu.com ; his are paperbacks. But they also sell ebooks, and the nice thing is that they can be distributed by several retailers as well, including Amazon and Kobo.

I looked at the conditions for authors, it seems pretty fair in terms of cost, especially as compared to what we have to endure in the App Stores…

Have no idea about the market, but if it resembles third party classes throughput, it would not be such a burden to set up a small web site with Paypal buttons to distribute PDF files.

It is sad to see the RB Library closing down as it has been a great source of helpful and inexpensive information.

I am starting to look for alternative publishers and thanks for suggesting LuLu.com @Michel Bujardet . My intent is to find a suitable place to publish these books and weigh the many different options (price, availability in print, etc.).

The good news is there are many more Xojo books in the planning stage. The most recent book is on the Raspberry Pi and it has 200 pages and there is more to be written. (The servo example was challenging :slight_smile: )

The I Wish I Knew… series is for you, the Xojo developers, and this is my hobby.

A special thank-you to Norman for all of his support and looking after the popular website throughout the years.

I’ll let the Xojo community know what is happening with my books when a decision has been made, and thank you for your continued support.

GOOD NEWS !!!
Looks like an agreement will be reached to move RBLibrary to new ownership

:smiley:

[quote=259920:@Norman Palardy]GOOD NEWS !!!
Looks like an agreement will be reached to move RBLibrary to new ownership[/quote]

I need to pay attention to this RBLibrary. I didnt even know it existed until I read this thread.

For those looking for an Alternative to PayPal that doesn’t have near as many restrictions (and also better customer service), there are the following alternatives:
Amazon Payments: https://payments.amazon.com/
Google Wallet: https://checkout.google.com/sell
WePay: https://www.wepay.com/
Stripe: https://stripe.com/
Square: https://Squareup.com

There are many more, but these are all ones that I have used personally and know they all work well. Just check the terms, as each does have its advantages and disadvantages.

Additionally, Weebly makes it easy to setup a website with a webstore and provide instant electronic delivery, I believe Square has also added this functionality, but not really creating much of a website.

[quote=258081:@Eugene Dakin]It is sad to see the RB Library closing down as it has been a great source of helpful and inexpensive information.

I am starting to look for alternative publishers and thanks for suggesting LuLu.com @Michel Bujardet . My intent is to find a suitable place to publish these books and weigh the many different options (price, availability in print, etc.).

The good news is there are many more Xojo books in the planning stage. The most recent book is on the Raspberry Pi and it has 200 pages and there is more to be written. (The servo example was challenging :slight_smile: )

The I Wish I Knew… series is for you, the Xojo developers, and this is my hobby.

A special thank-you to Norman for all of his support and looking after the popular website throughout the years.

I’ll let the Xojo community know what is happening with my books when a decision has been made, and thank you for your continued support.[/quote]

Eugene,

Just curious if you have not considered publishing these on Amazon using the kindle platform or even their on demand printing? Kindle apps are available for every platform. Amazon then handles all the payment processing, hosting, delivery etc. It can’t get much easier.

Hi Joseph,

The last time I looked at the big publishers was back in 2011, and each company had there various good and poor points. At the time the largest obstacle was the various formats (mobi, epub, lit, etc…). The books in Microsoft Word and are fairly complicated (pictures, tables, index…), and converting to other formats was poor at best.

As an example, the Canvas book has 424 pages and was converted to mobi and is now 7,049 pages and many of the pictures were not converted, and the formatting was poor. Microsoft Word does create a great pdf format that I believe most readers can open (I could be wrong about that).

Back in 2011 the big publishers had a very large markup. RBLibrary was great because the main focus was Xojo/Real Studio and the prices were reasonable. My books are live documents, and are usually updated which makes it nice for me to keep the information up-to-date and readers are happy that the examples, code, and explanations are compatible with the latest version of Xojo.

All of my books are registered, have copyrights, and registered ISBN’s which makes them able to be distributed around the world. I will try the new RBLibrary ownership and see how this works out.

@Joseph Evert If you have any helpful thoughts about publishing or know someone who has published, then I would like to learn more. There are many horror stories out there, and I am not sure how many of the horror stories were self-induced :wink: